Need help diagnosing poor Max.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need help diagnosing poor Max.

Need help diagnosing poor Max.

I was driving up my driveway and I heard a metallic clank but it still ran fine then I heard a louder clunk and it wouldn't really move anymore without making terrible noises. I opened it up and it looks like one of the rear chain guides was torn up so I ordered new ones and am in the process of installing them. Since I never really took a good look at the guts when it was working fine I'm not really sure what I am seeing. The chain tension on the top seems good, 1/2-3/4 or so but the bottom is super super tight on both sides, is this normal? There is a loose bolt that looks to go to the interior axle bearings?

Picasa Web Albums - Jedon

Also the main drive belt looks loose but maybe it's supposed to be like that?

The drive chain looks a little worn from having the tensioner missing

Thanks for all advise and help!!
    -Jedon

Raise all of the tires off the ground when tightening the chains. That will prevent one side from being tight and the other not.

-Tighten that bolt that you pointed to.
    -It's hard to tell about the belt from that picture but the belts are fairly loose until the clutches engage. Get as tight as you can without having the driven clutch engage while the engine is idling.

I have it up on blocks right now.
    I guess I'll replace the chain guide, tighten the bolt and then give it a try.
    Thanks!
    Still worried about how tight the bottom run of the chains are, 0 deflection they are like bars.

Need help diagnosing poor Max

Mike, am I to assume that the belt should not be moving at idle? My belt has a deflection of over 2" and still moves at idle. rebojo

Clanking noise from engine/clutch

I got the chain guides in ( mostly, couldn't get one bolt in ) and now it makes a clanking noise even in neutral. Ideas?

Thanks!
    -Jedon
    Last edited by Mike; 11-10-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: merged threads - no need for two on the same topic ;)

Your comment about the bottom of the chain being tight - that's because you don't have it off the ground. If you jack that side up then you can distribute the tension over the chain equally and properly adjust the tension.

As for the sound, you really can't tell from the video but it has to either be the engine/exhaust or the clutches since that's all that was moving. From the video it sounded like an exhaust leak but it could be something as simple as a loose air cleaner cover. Take that cover off and see if it still makes it or if it is any louder.
    Last edited by Mike; 11-10-2009 at 06:18 PM.

The trouble with pinpointing a noise like that is that the sound telegraphs.It sounds like connecting rod bearings in the engine but the only way they could be worn out is if the engine had high stress hours from extremely heavy work. You have the precisely the same machine as mine,including the tracks.While I have the Kohler engine as well and they are billed over the Briggs by many,I'm not so sure.I have heard of Kohler failure with relatively low hours in the singles in lawn tractors at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
    The trouble with pinpointing a noise like that is that the sound telegraphs.
    That is a good point. One way to help get around that, that you might want to try is to get a wooden stick like a broom handle and rest one end of the handle on the engine and put your ear to the other end of the handle. It will help you pinpoint the noise a little easier. Move the handle little by little until you find where the noise is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Your comment about the bottom of the chain being tight - that's because you don't have it off the ground. If you jack that side up then you can distribute the tension over the chain equally and properly adjust the tension..
    At the time I had it off the ground by the frame rails, I'm not sure how to tension the chains, I guess that would be in the manual?

As for the sound, you really can't tell from the video but it has to either be the engine/exhaust or the clutches since that's all that was moving. From the video it sounded like an exhaust leak but it could be something as simple as a loose air cleaner cover. Take that cover off and see if it still makes it or if it is any louder
    I'll try taking the air cleaner cover off and see what changes, it does sound more like it's coming from the clutches. It seems to drive around just fine though.

That is a good point. One way to help get around that, that you might want to try is to get a wooden stick like a broom handle and rest one end of the handle on the engine and put your ear to the other end of the handle. It will help you pinpoint the noise a little easier. Move the handle little by little until you find where the noise is coming from.
    I have an engine stethoscope, I'll try that

+ Reply to Thread