Axle Sleeve on MaxII

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Axle Sleeve on MaxII

Axle Sleeve on MaxII

Has anyone ever put “ Inner Sleeves " or spacers between the chain sprockets and the chassis axle bearing on a MAXII..

I’m thinking of doing the because if the Collar bearing was to break or come loose, the axles would not be able to drift out due the axle bolt holding it in conjunction with the sleeve pressing on the bearing from the inside the tub.

I’m thinking of using a heavey wall PVC 1” 1/4 ID pipe, It should spine freely with the Axles and not cause any wear problems that I can see..

Again, it all because of the tracks I want to run this winter and putting extras stress on bearings as to why I’m coming up with all these things.

RI has been extremely helpful thus far….I’m trying to mitigate having to walk home someday…

All advice gratefully accepted..

MAX
    Maxheadroom..!!

Anybody Out There..???
    Maxheadroom..!!

I wouldn't worry about it. If the inner bearing were to break/crack/lock up/etc. you have larger problems. If the inner lock collar comes off then the outer bearing is still locked in place so the axle isn't going anywhere.

As long as you maintain your bearings you really don't have anything to worry about. Check them regularly and you can spot problems before they occur.

Thanks Mike,,

Problem Is Its An Older Max And There Is No Inner Bearing.. Just The Bushing, So If The Outside Bearing Lets Go, Out Goes The Axle..

Cheers

Max
    Maxheadroom..!!

Gotcha, I assumed, that was my first mistake...

To me it seems like if the outer lock collar came loose and the axle wanted to slide out to where the sprocket tube hit the outer bearing it would do so with or without the sleeves? Do you think the PVC would hold up to skid steering where the tire is being pulled away from the Max? Worst case if the locking collar comes loose for some reason you can always just stop, slide the axle back in, and relock it.

Here is an article I wrote on using split shaft collars to locate the axle. You can get the collars from Grainger or Mcmaster Carr.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...-bearings.html
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

I have never owned a max and dont know right off hand but in an attex, depending on what axle it is, you could run without it. Front or back. But if its a middle axle it also controls the front. I hope Im not making the same mistake, "ASSUMING" Max is similar. But with tracks that may be just the opposite. Middle may be better.

+ Reply to Thread