Tire Clearance?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tire Clearance?

Tire Clearance?

I just noticed today, that my right middle tire is touching the tub a little bit.
    I looked at the other side, its has about 5/8" clearance from tub.

Im in the process of a full rebuild frame up, Im wondering if anyone has had this problem, ideas of whats making it "sag". Old rusty frame? Bearings?

Need more info

what u got /size tires ?could be a # of things.

As Texas replied there can be several things wrong. What kind of machine do you have, Year model and tire size on the machine?

1. Tires when inflated to the same pressure do not always mean they are the same size. To get a better perspective on this, measure the circumference with a seamstress tape or a leather strap and inflate to the same size.

2. Move this tire to a new location and see if the clearance is still as close at it's new location.

3. Yes the body may be sagging but that will usually effect the whole side, but not all the time.

4. Some of the site members that have had machines a long time have talked about the tub configuration at the front. To accept certain styles of tires they have to heat and remold the body.

5. Now that you are doing a frame out, check frame for square and levelness. I assume that you have already done this since you are rebuilding it.

6. If you are running bigggggg tires a bearing going bad may absorb any clearance designed in by the manufacturer. MightyMax from what i hear must run spacers to maintain sidewall clearance to the side of the tub. Check Administrator Mike's recent Mid-engine Max rebuild he discusses this issue.

These are a few things to check and may help. Others will surely chime in with other suggestions.

I have a Max IV with 26" x12 x12 tires.

QUOTE ) " I just noticed today, that my right middle tire is touching the tub a little bit. "

SmokeNchoke4x4.

I removed the front seat belt plate from my Max IV about two years ago, and one day I noticed that the tub was sagging over both middle wheels. I thought this is strange? Why is,nt the tub sagging over the front and rear wheels?

After thinking about this for quite some time, this was my conclusion:

The front seat belt plate not only secures the front seat belts, but also helps in preventing the tub from sagging over the middle wheels. This plate also pulls both sides together. My friend ( Wildtexasranger ) helped me raise the sagging section , and with both of us working at it , we again installed the missing seat belt plate. That stopped the sagging problem over my middle wheels ,and it has not returned since.

I thought that could be the problem! I have mine out right now, Ill put them back in. I bet thats exactly what it is! Thks for the help

SmokeNchoke4x4,

I hope this solves your problem.

+ Reply to Thread