Homemade Tracks for MaxII

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Tracks for MaxII

Homemade Tracks for MaxII

Any info on this from anyone..??

There are few threads , but no real details that i can find..

I want to make my own so i do'nt have to use axle extentions..I presume to use old snowmobile tracks but I'm wondering what I can use for the track supports and wheel keepers..

Anyone know of anything..??

Max..
    Maxheadroom..!!

I have factory tracks but I am always interested in a good home made project.
    First you need 21 inch tires,should have type "K" rims to keep tires at apx 3 psi from rolling off rims under the stress of skid steering.You would need the exact inside measurement of tracks(I'll provide this over the next day or so if you like).
    I think you would need 15 inch wide snowmobile tracks,I should think and probably would need three tracks to get enough length to make two for the Max II.You will need wheel extensions no matter how you do it I think to both have clearance from the body and be able to use tracks wide enough to be of any use to you.The tracks can be spliced with a fabbed up riveted butt splice type affair.The "must haves" in my opinion would be: 21 inch wheels,wheel extensions.The "should haves" are bead lock rims,bearing extensions reinforcing rails.The guides you mentioned on the factory are finger like apparatus made from aluminum they stand on end guessing dimensions from here are about 2x2 inch stock and are about4 inches high.they are tapered at the top and smoothed similar to a big finger.I looked at snowmobile tracks wondering if it could be done like you are doing.If you had to buy new snowmobile tracks at top price I think it would discourage you but if you somehow could source cheap tracks it could be done but my it would be a lot of work! Just a tip though.....running tracks takes extra power and does stress the system in general.There is a really good reason for bearing extensions,wheel extensions,bead lock rims,bearing cage rails,a call for 18-23 hp. and last and far from least the high price of a track system.Let me tell you though a good working set of tracks are worth their weight in gold.

Smile trackssss

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
    I have factory tracks but I am always interested in a good home made project.
    First you need 21 inch tires,should have type "K" rims to keep tires at apx 3 psi from rolling off rims under the stress of skid steering.You would need the exact inside measurement of tracks(I'll provide this over the next day or so if you like).
    I think you would need 15 inch wide snowmobile tracks,I should think and probably would need three tracks to get enough length to make two for the Max II.You will need wheel extensions no matter how you do it I think to both have clearance from the body and be able to use tracks wide enough to be of any use to you.The tracks can be spliced with a fabbed up riveted butt splice type affair.The "must haves" in my opinion would be: 21 inch wheels,wheel extensions.The "should haves" are bead lock rims,bearing extensions reinforcing rails.The guides you mentioned on the factory are finger like apparatus made from aluminum they stand on end guessing dimensions from here are about 2x2 inch stock and are about4 inches high.they are tapered at the top and smoothed similar to a big finger.I looked at snowmobile tracks wondering if it could be done like you are doing.If you had to buy new snowmobile tracks at top price I think it would discourage you but if you somehow could source cheap tracks it could be done but my it would be a lot of work! Just a tip though.....running tracks takes extra power and does stress the system in general.There is a really good reason for bearing extensions,wheel extensions,bead lock rims,bearing cage rails,a call for 18-23 hp. and last and far from least the high price of a track system.Let me tell you though a good working set of tracks are worth their weight in gold.
    See my black amphicat with tracks in photo's

Smile tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiman1 View Post
    See my black amphicat with tracks in photo's
    http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/show...php?photo=4471

Very intereresting, I like them..!!

How is the chain attached to the Rubber cross sections..?

Where did you get those runner cross sections, did you make them

Do you have some more details of how you did make them..

They look great and very non stressfull to the machine. I bet they do'nt come off either while making some tight turns..

If you have the time.. Some more info would be terific..

Max.
    Maxheadroom..!!

Smile making tracks......

the tracks are simple to make..... the cross pieces are conveyor belt, held on by big pop rivets, which also act like studded track on the ends,. they work very well,,,, i've never had any come off...... the rounder the tire, more flexable, the better ,like balloons..
    Last edited by Amphiman1; 10-16-2009 at 07:36 AM.

do you have close up picture of how you did the attachments to the belts.. Im still a little grey in understanding..
    Maxheadroom..!!

Smile tracks

Quote Originally Posted by maxheadroom View Post
    do you have close up picture of how you did the attachments to the belts.. Im still a little grey in understanding..
    I'll take a few picts with my wonderful camera.....

Homemade tracks

I was hopping someone with R.I. tracks(maxII) could measure them.It'll help those that want to make tracks out of old snowmobile tracks or belting.Should save alot of trial and error.Thanx

I'll measure mine tomorrow night 99max2 and will post inside dimensions on this thread.

+ Reply to Thread