Bolt and nut specs for Max II rear axle

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bolt and nut specs for Max II rear axle

Bolt and nut specs for Max II rear axle

One of my bolts that connect the rear axle to the engine is missing and the other is loose, I guess that's what that CRUNK! sounds was. I've been trying to remove the loose one but the nut is under the engine and it seems impossible to get a wrench in there.
    1. Any suggestions on how to remove and then put new bolts in?
    2. What size is the bolt so I can get a couple new ones in the mean time.
    Thanks!!
    -Jedon

ps. Max is newer model, 2005? Axle has splines.

"One of my bolts that connect the rear axle to the engine is missing and the other is loose"

Huh? The engine does not connect directly to the axles. You will have to be more descriptive for us to help you.....Mark

Sorry, right below the engine it turns out. Picture is worth a few words!

Picasa Web Albums - Jedon

OK, Here's what I do. Remove the nuts that fasten the rear engine mount to the frame. Tilt the engine forward far enough to access your bearing. You can prop it up with a piece of wood or whatever works. Now you can get to the bolts. Make sense?

Mark

That sounds like it will work, thanks!

For others attempting this, I ended up taking all 4 engine mount nuts off and lifting the engine up a couple inches resting on a 2x4. Worked great. Now if I can figure out how to get the bottom nuts and bolts on the chain guides I should be good to go.

Working on a Max II

I feel like maybe I'm doing things the hard way?
    I'm having real problems getting the bottom nuts and bolts onto the rear chain guides ( I bought new OEM ones before I saw the new improved kind ).
    Am I supposed to pull the engine and the subframe in order to do this?
    Thanks!
    -Jedon
    2005 Max II
    Last edited by Mike; 10-21-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: merged two threads

You should be able to fit a wrench under the frame between it and the bottom tub to get to those. Just make sure you have the jack out from under the Max as it would push the tub up closer to the frame.

+ Reply to Thread