just bought a Max4

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: just bought a Max4

just bought a Max4

Have problems with speed and in reverse only left side backs up and sometimes after I go from rev. to forward only can go straight or turn right??

look for bent shift linkage, and spray some lube where the shifters go down into the trany.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

If it runs the T-20 my attex did that and the shift pin on the drum was getting wore down and wasnt engaging the trans properly or not at all depending on if i was going to forward or reverse. Hope that helps. Good luck with it.

Cool guys, I think it's just a linkage problem but still have no speed?? Talked to the only 6x6 guy around this area he said sounds like trans clutch isnt opening up. Can I shoot WD40 or tap with hammer or what? P.S. This max4 sat up for 8 years before I got her so I know it will have some issues with parts sticking!!! Any help?? Looks like I will have to start up the 6x6 pack in central Alabama, where the trucks are big and the 4 wheelers are king. Look out theres a new sherriff in town and he's riding a MAX4!!!!!!!!

Still no speed?????All advice needed and wanted!!!!!

Just got my Max 4 back together,new chains,new diamond shifter(fixed the backing issue) cleaned carbuator, greased everything. Started it and took off, but still no speed!! Lots of low end torque,belt is good and tight,motor clutch is working looks like to me. The top clutch when reved closes and pulls the motor down a little ( smashes the motor mount alittle) so it's plenty tight. I don't know about the bottom clutch. Will this one cause low speed?? This unit sat up for 8 years. Thanks for any help, I'm on a tight budget so can't guess by buying new parts so any way for me to check things without buying will be great, if not just tell me all your advice what to replace and I'll do that.
    Last edited by Mike; 11-14-2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: merged two threads, no need for two on the same topic ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrocuz View Post
    Just got my Max 4 back together,new chains,new diamond shifter(fixed the backing issue) cleaned carbuator, greased everything. Started it and took off, but still no speed!! Lots of low end torque,belt is good and tight,motor clutch is working looks like to me. The top clutch when reved closes and pulls the motor down a little ( smashes the motor mount alittle) so it's plenty tight. I don't know about the bottom clutch. Will this one cause low speed?? This unit sat up for 8 years. Thanks for any help, I'm on a tight budget so can't guess by buying new parts so any way for me to check things without buying will be great, if not just tell me all your advice what to replace and I'll do that.
    hi jeff the max IV does not run but about 20 mph your belt might be the problem, might want to spring for a new one . robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

Smile belted?

maybe belt is too tight?

Hey Jeff,
    I would make sure the throttle cable is actually opening the throttle all the way.

If the belt travels up on the drive clutch when in neutral, revved, then the bottom driven clutch isnt seized or anything and should be fine.

If the belt is too tight, the belt wouldn't disengage completely and would always drag some because of the tension on the shaft. When the sticks are pushed forward at an idle you will feel it try to go forward more then normal. It would also be difficult to shift in/out of gears because the trans would spin.

Just a few thoughts I would check.
    Good luck
    Last edited by LarryW; 11-14-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks All, Ok ,the belt probably is too tight because it does try to go alittle when I start it in forward gear. Will that make it not go fast? Or if belt needs to be replaced will it still ride up the motor clutch and not slip when reved in neutral? This thing starts out slow and after 200 yards starts to speed up, goes about 15mph after it speeds up??? New belt???or New clutch???Oh the carb is opening up for sure not a engine problem!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrocuz View Post
    Thanks All, Ok ,the belt probably is too tight because it does try to go alittle when I start it in forward gear. Will that make it not go fast? Or if belt needs to be replaced will it still ride up the motor clutch and not slip when reved in neutral? This thing starts out slow and after 200 yards starts to speed up, goes about 15mph after it speeds up??? New belt???or New clutch???Oh the carb is opening up for sure not a engine problem!
    If the belt is to tight is should still go pretty fast but maybe not 100% If its to tight it will just mess with the ratios off the cvt up a bit. The belts I have seen when they are really to tight will also open the driven clutch up some and that make the belt fit in it more. This is when its not running. The top of the belt should be around the top of the driven clutch.

If it is to tight it will still ride up it. And if its to tight it will still slip, it just has a lot of extra drag trying to engage it.

That slow then speeds up sounds like the the clutch isnt matched with the rpm of motor. Like 2 stoke weights/springs on a 4 stoke. You may have a clutch issue. Sounds like its revving up, then it slowly is shifting in to the differant cvt ranges.

+ Reply to Thread