max II quiet muffler

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: max II quiet muffler

max II quiet muffler

Any specific ideas? Pretty loud for hunting.
    Thanks,
    Ridge

I believe I posted this when you joined the site in the intro thread but it may have been missed:

For your Max to quieten it down call the manufacturer (Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511) and get their internal exhaust along with the heat shielding and cool air intake. It makes a world of difference. I did mine this way and even with the 30HP motor it is super quiet. Here's a picture.

My 23 hp. came factory this way and I have received a lot of comments that at low speeds you can't hear it at relatively short distances.The only downside is that a recoil start is not available.I would think the recoil would fit under the ventilation shroud though and you could remove shroud to access the recoil if you needed to. That's a mean looking power plant Mike!

Thanks Mike

Thanks Mike. you probably did, but as an old fart, threads, forums, etc. I haven't caught on to. I'll call Dan or Jay tomorrow.

so now the exhaust exits the hull at the rear? How is the hole in the side plugged?

Thanks, I hope i can find this answer!!

Ridge

You can plug it a couple of different ways. I used a piece of metal painted black and placed it on the outside of the tub over the hole. Then I drilled 4 holes, one in each corner and riveted the metal over the hole. I did put a liberal amount of silicone on the metal before I riveted it to the tub to help seal everything off. It's worked fine so far.

Another way is to use a piece of HDPE and plastic weld it. That would probably be a better seal and look but it is also time consuming.

Ask Dan or Jay if they have a better way. I'm sure they have done it before.

Wink Thanks Mike and Eldon

I spoke at length with Dan. My MAX II is a 2000 with a different hull and deck design. Can't handle any interior exhaust without major mods. So major, I might as well look for a newer model, both costly and out of the question. Best idea was to try after market exhaust that will fit. He was kind enough to measure the replacement dims for me. They've changed the design of many parts of the MAX II since 2000.

Hey, those guys up there in NY give fantastic support over the phone! They've helped me out many times before. Never had so much help from any company for anything!

Maybe I'll shift my attention to and outboard motor as after this recent flood in SE VA, most of my hunting land with be under water.

Ridge

I have a 1999 Max II and have hit the same roadblock, my external muffler is pretty loud and after searching an entire saturday I found no small engine places that had a close match and nobody that could fab up a replacement. So Max is still loud.

What about Richard Clark's max II internal muffler conversion? Have only seen it online..

Quiet

I have an older Max ~1995 that I wanted to quiet down, in my case for the stereo and ability to ride in some areas where noise isn't tolerated. I used the stock thru the body location. As soon as the exhaust exits the body I have a right angle fitting. Then into an oval car muffler with a extention tube pointing down and wraping around the rear corner. Now the hard part... The small Thrush import muffler needs to be squashed down for clearance over the tire. I did this with a really huge bench vise. The heat shields in that area had to be slightly modified also. This is not an easy way to go, but it looks good and is not much louder than a fridge running.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
    I have an older Max ~1995 that I wanted to quiet down, in my case for the stereo and ability to ride in some areas where noise isn't tolerated. I used the stock thru the body location. As soon as the exhaust exits the body I have a right angle fitting. Then into an oval car muffler with a extention tube pointing down and wraping around the rear corner. Now the hard part... The small Thrush import muffler needs to be squashed down for clearance over the tire. I did this with a really huge bench vise. The heat shields in that area had to be slightly modified also. This is not an easy way to go, but it looks good and is not much louder than a fridge running.
    Wow that sounds pretty much what I was thinking I would end up with, do you have any pics? I looked at a small car muffler, I think it was about 19" long. I didn't think about connecting it as soon as it comes through the body.

+ Reply to Thread