Bought a Lemon . . . Need Some Advice

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Lemon . . . Need Some Advice

What to look for Thread

Last month a idea came to my head to start a "How to or What to look for Thread" All members who have machines will put in information into this thread. Members and non-member upon reading this will have a more educated idea of what to look for in a used machine. I really hate to hear when someone gets taken to the cleaners, we want people to enjoy their machines and their experience with the AATV world. Not become frustrated and give up.

Thoughts on this? You guys tell me. Would anyone feel that people would use it? This may prevent people from paying to much for a poorly kept machine. Members on this site are Super knowledgeable of the different types of machines and may save a member or potential member a lot of money when buying a machine.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, i thought this would be a pretty good place to throw this out for opinions.

Lewis

I think it's a good Idea, Lewis. Having a bad experience, when venturing in to something new, can really turn you off. Especially in this hobby! And, especially with the older machines! So, if we all can point a newbie in the right direction; it's good for the hobby/sport.
    Last edited by Joe M; 11-13-2009 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling_X_6 View Post
    That sounds pretty lame of me . . . but, I am NOT experienced with these machines AT ALL. This was the first time I was ever seeing a MAX IV in person in my life.
    I had the same experience when I bought mine although it was older and I didn't pay top dollar. I do know where your coming from though. It's disappointing to get a machine home and immediately have to work on it. I like Don's Philosophy: Everything is an assumed basket case. Then your always pleasantly surprised when something works

OK time to make lemon-aid from those lemons! Look at it this way a 2000 would need new chains even if the machine was babied. The sprocket stripping teeth can happen in a nano second on rough terrain. Everything else that is steel can be easily replaced.

After this, you'll have excellent understanding of the mechanical workings on the machine and if you ever have issues you'll know you to fix it no problem.

The good folks on this board are always eager to help and there is a HUGE knowledge base in the archives so search any issues you might have and there is most likely an answer on here. Oh and by the way congrats on the new machine and post up some pictures!

Mike
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

Quote Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
    If the bolt is sheared off flush weld a nut to the bolt through the nut hole and wrench it out.
    That works, I do it on VW Bug heads to get broken exhaust studs out.
    Cave Trolls Rule!

what to look for thread

I think this is a great idea.I was lucky enough to run into don on here and bought my first machine from him. and he even helped me make a few changes.but if it where not for don who knows what i would have ended up with. But good luck with your max iv keep the faith and come here and ask questions often,and i am sure you will get through this and have a great machine.

Go for It . . . I Think It Would Be Useful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post

Last month a idea came to my head to start a "How to or What to look for Thread" All members who have machines will put in information into this thread. Members and non-member upon reading this will have a more educated idea of what to look for in a used machine. I really hate to hear when someone gets taken to the cleaners, we want people to enjoy their machines and their experience with the AATV world. Not become frustrated and give up.

Thoughts on this? You guys tell me. Would anyone feel that people would use it? This may prevent people from paying to much for a poorly kept machine. Members on this site are Super knowledgeable of the different types of machines and may save a member or potential member a lot of money when buying a machine.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, i thought this would be a pretty good place to throw this out for opinions.

Lewis
    No problem, Lewis. Use this thread for whatever . . .

I do think it would help to have an obviously titled thread with BOTH everyone's advice about what to look for / what to keep in mind when considering to buy a used machine . . . AND perhaps even forum members' good and/or "not so good" experiences with their first used AATV purchases.

I am a public school teacher in central Pennsylvania, and I tell my students that mistakes are not a bad thing as long as you and/or someone else can learn from them. So, even shared bad experiences can be helpful to those who are looking to buy a used AATV.

Good idea, Lewis.

maybe you would like to sell it and try ebay again ,i may be interested in taking it off your hands

Hello--

I have a small paintball business . . . it is really more of a ministry than a business. I do it as a youth out-reach, but anyhow . . . my point is that I am somewhat into paintballing. I have been doing it for about 8 1/2 years with groups of students and parents . . . as well as with other youth groups.

As a result, I am a member of a paintballing forum, as well. I do not get on it very often. It has it purpose. But, the advice is not always that sound, and the quality of conversation and such is not that great . . . but then again, it should not be surprising. No offense or anything, but the average age of the members is probably 15 years old or so. I mean, how great was your advice and how mature was your conversation when you were 15, you know???

I only mention that other forum to make this point . . . this forum is a wonderful asset to anyone interested in this topic: AATV's.

You folks are a great bunch of people who not only offer a lot of sound and meaningful advice . . . but who also are great at encouraging and inspiring their fellow forum members to quit complaining about mechanical problems and, instead, pick up that wrench and fix what needs fixin'.

Thanks folks.

Update on the Project:

This afternoon, my dad, my brother, and I worked at getting those two broken off bolts out of the T-20. Neither one would come out with an easy-out. The one we ended up sort cutting into pieces by drilling a bunch of holes into it and then pulling the little pieces out. We still ended up drilling the hole out over-sized and tapping it out for a 1/2 in. bolt. No biggie. It will be fine.

The other bolt--while we were trying to drill the bolt into smaller pieces--we drilled out through the bolt hole forged into the T-20 housing right into the oil chamber of the T-20!!!

Wow!!! I SURE am taking a beating with this machine!!!

So, after we did the same thing to this hole as the first (drilled and tapped it out for a 1/2 bolt) we put some red, silicone form-a-gasket stuff into the little side hole to seal it off so the oil cannot pour out. We are now letting it sit over night to set up.

Oh well . . . such it life. Once we have it back together, it will be fine. Once it is all back together with a bolt in the hole, I do not think it will be able to leak. In fact, I think I will put some more of that red silicone stuff on the actual bolt when I re-install the T-20 back into my Max. It will be fine.

Later.

Great attitude!!!!

Bully Good for you!!!!! The machine will come together just takes time.

Rolling, that is great!!!!!! Give kids some outlet for that energy instead of street gangs and drugs. I take my hat off to you, keep up the great work with the children, they are the future and you are making a great investment!

Love paint ball. Started playing back in the early 90's late 80's. That stuff is a blast. Haven't played this year but i still have all my gear. It was a father son thing and my youngest son he hooked me on it. We had the real paint grenades and mortars. The weapons were pump single shot at the time. I have a Bob Long GZ with warp feeder for speed ball, AutoCockers, Tipmans with long barrels, pistols for close in work. We would set booby-traps, and all. Still carrying a few scars but they were fun getting. Those weapons were hot(over 385 fps) Adults go figure. I miss it now that i am a little older, hitting the ground is a little harder to get up.. Found a new gentler sport AATV racing and what a rush that is.

don't forget to "Red Loctite" those 4 bolts into place when you install the trani and use good grade 8 bolts so that IF you have to remove the trani agian in the future they won't break again (i use stainless steel they dont rust either)

also if you are new to the Max, I believe the trani takes 28 oz of Type 'F" transmission fluid plus about 4 oz of limited slip gear oil as friction modifier ,someone here may be able to confirm that.

+ Reply to Thread