Bought a Lemon . . . Need Some Advice

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bought a Lemon . . . Need Some Advice

PS why do we use Type "F" and then add friction modifiers ,,,when Dexron VI already is a tranifluid with friction modifiers in it ??? is this one of those things that are done the old way just because it's always been done that way or is it that RI doesn't know about Dexron VI ???????????

Robinhood02, thanks for your advice, as well. Everyone has been great.

These bolts actually broke while in the Max--apparently during operation at some point--they did not twist off during the removal of the T-20, just to clarify. Maybe you already did understand that. I just wanted to throw that out there in case I had not explained myself very well.

I say all of that to ask, though . . . what would be the grade / type of bolt that would be least likely to shear off like that again in the future???

Now, I will probably have less problems with that in the future for a couple of reason: 1. Those bolts may have sheared off because of all of the other dis-repair of the machine, which I am in the process of fixing. 2. As stated earlier, I was forced to tap those two holes out to 1/2 in. bolts now, instead of the original 3/8 in. bolts. So, right there I will gain strength. 3. Plus, I bought some other mounting enhancements from Recreatives that I will be welding in place to help improve the T-20's mounting strength.

But, even with that said, I am still curious which bolt grade / type you folks think would be least likely to shear in the future. I think there has been some debate as to whether the grade 8 bolts are too "hard," therefore brittle . . . yet, I always thought they were simply the strongest bolts, period. I am pretty sure that Recreatives use grade 5. I do know that that is what they use for SOME of the stuff; I asked them. And, I think it was in direct reference to those T-20 mounting bolts when I talked to them about that . . . among other things, too.

Thanks.

Grade 5's will be fine, bolts are designed for tinsel strength. They will shear at a much lower point with side force and that is what has happened to the studs in the T-20.

Here is a chart of bolt strength and material. This is a very good little reference.

Bolt Depot - Bolt Grade Markings and Strength Chart

if you gotta drive to the bolt shop and get bolts for the job ,grade 5 will work but the extra cost to upgrade to grade 8 is meaningless ,it is imperitive in this case that you get the right length of bolt as well ,too long and they bottom out ,too short and they don't grab enough aluminum case to hold properly, i speak from expirience on this including the red loctite LOL

there are all kinds of "friction modifiers" in ATF fluids, many more today than in the past. Thats basically the difference in all the current fluids. So type F plus a GM limited slip additive isn't = to any dexron. People have preferences, just find something you like.

+ Reply to Thread