My Visit to Mudd-Ox this year...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Visit to Mudd-Ox this year...

My Visit to Mudd-Ox this year...

I make my way up to Shipshewana every year because I am a concert pianist, and I am usually scheduled to perform at the Blue Gate Theater. This is so perfect because it gives me the perfect excuse to travel to Shipshewana from my home in Florida and visit Matt O. at Mudd-Ox. I had a great time hanging out and talking with him, and we got to do some riding too! I got to tear up the testing grounds with a new experimental Mudd-Ox XL with the new Vendetta Tires. This machine is incredible to say the least. I found out some really cool things about the Max company and got to see the new, rapidly-growing facility. I grew up around Maxes since my next door neighbor during my childhood was one of Max's largest distributors since the company first started out, until he passed away in 2001. Anyway...

There are some cool things that Matt has in the works (and maybe someone already mentioned some of these things on the forum somewhere, but I haven't been keeping up on here as much):

1. For those of us who love Maxes, there is a Max 8x8 in the works that will be driven by a T-20. We will never see a Max with hydraulics, and we will never see a Mudd-Ox with a T-20 Transmission. The Max 8x8's lower body will the exact same lower body as the Mudd-Ox GT.

2. Matt intends to build Max Factory Racers, something that hasn't been seen in the Amphibious ATV market for 30+ years.

3. The Max Factory Racers will probably have an option for independent suspension, which is something else that is currently in the works right now. The Racers will also have roller chain tensioners rather than the tensioners that come standard in the Max.

4. There are future plans to update the designs of the current Max ATV line. Matt wants to eventually drop the engine down in the back of the Max IV rather than mounting it over the transmission. He is going to wait until he re-tools the lower body for that.

5. Matt is in the process of tooling a mold for Attex lower bodies. He showed me around in the room where his team makes the prototype molds, and the work has already begun for the Attex mold. I tried to encourage him as much as possible to consider re-tooling the Attex upper body too. We may be able to talk him into it

6. Matt was also working on minor improvements on the Mudd-Ox XL upper mold. The changes are so minor that you can't see the difference, but he is changing some of the corners and crevices so they are a little more rounded (probably just for better durability). It is so nice to see that Matt is constantly working to improve his machines.

7. The newest addition to the factory portion of Matt's facility will have 4 assembly lines (2 for Max, 2 for Mudd-Ox, and 1 for special-built and custom machines).

There were a lot of other cool things we talked about... too many to list.

Anyway, here are some pictures of my adventure to the Mudd-Ox Factory. You can see in some of these pictures that I got some shots of the original body molds for the Max II, Max IV, and Buffalo. Definitely something the public hasn't really seen, so of course I have to post them on here

Here's a video I posted on my Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...98379150447160

Oh and one more thing... I saw several Max II's and Max IV's lined up with 29 hp Kohler fuel injected engines. I bet that Max II with that engine can move.

God I wish I was rich.

Interesting !! Can I ask what are the moulds made of, never seen one so haven't got a clue ?

I think the final molds are made of cast aluminum. They have to be durable to withstand the stress of making a large run of plastic bodies.

Did you see any muddox 6x6s

Quote Originally Posted by andylmusic76 View Post
    I think the final molds are made of cast aluminum. They have to be durable to withstand the stress of making a large run of plastic bodies.
    Thanks, that will explain the horrendous cost of them then.

awesome!
    andylmusic76 - thanks for sharing all of that

Quote Originally Posted by thejunkman View Post
    Did you see any muddox 6x6s
    Yes. I was testing the 8x8 Mudd-Ox in the pictures in Matt's pond behind the factory, and I bottomed it out in the soft sand as I was getting out of the pond (still trying to get the feel of the machine), and he called his friend to come tow us out, and he brought the orange 6x6 Mudd-Ox to pull me out. That machine looks pretty cool too! I should have taken a picture of it haha.

Wow, so many plans for Max/Mudd-Ox! When I went to pick up my machine from Alaska Mudd-Ox (the first Max he has sold), the owner told me that there is a diesel Max in the works. I assume that is what will power the 8x8, but possibly the Max IV too? I guess some of the members here would be interested in that news, since it has been a discussion topic.

I like the idea of a 6x6 Mudd-Ox. Most of the advantages without the extra size. I am guessing that they built it to take the 26" tires with tracks. That is a very interesting combination. Is it still a mid engine affair?

Thanks for the pics and all. I don't expect I will ever get to the factory to see it all myself, but I do find it interesting.

+ Reply to Thread