Snapped another axle

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snapped another axle

Snapped another axle

So, while I sold my argo. My buddy still has is 2009 Mudd Ox. While out moose hunting this past fall we snapped another front axle. This is the 2nd or 3rd one, we are trying to figure out what the deal is. He's running the 1 1/4in argo axles with argo rubber tracks. I'm thinking the tracks are the issue but I don't recall argos snapping so many axle. Any input would be great.
    2003 Argo Conquest
    Wasilla, Alaska

does the mudd-ox have 1.25" mudd-ox axles or 1.25" argo axles with argo sprockets and likely different chain swapped in? Which part of the axle is breaking? The parts are different is why I ask. Rubber tracks no doubt are the hardest on machines but if set up correctly shouldn't be a big giant deal. There might be other contributing factors. I am curious though what exactly are you breaking and what was the machine doing when it happened?
    Last edited by Buzz; 02-12-2016 at 05:07 PM.

Its more of a twisting till it snaps type of brake about 6in back from the flange. I'm not sure what the other axles are but this one was an argo for sure as it was replaced after hitting a stump.
    2003 Argo Conquest
    Wasilla, Alaska

Going to assume the tracks are too tight. I've seen the same thing.

Let me ask, where you in stumps, downed trees or a large rock/rocky section?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

We were on a nasty trail that is mixed hard pack with swamp. The first one broke on a snow packed trail. Ill see what PSI he's running in the tires, but his trust in the machine is all but gone.
    2003 Argo Conquest
    Wasilla, Alaska

I have been having a friend in the states make me 4140 alloy splined shafts. I install the flanges and finish the inner end. Will have more this summer if you want to try some out. I agree it sounds like track tension. Has he ever scaled the vehicle to see what it really weighs?

4140 would be,but something has to give. A small amount of temporary slip can be good in a rubber track, if no slip something has to give but nothing else does intentionally. Thus one reason for track sag.

The reason I asked was I've seen the axle twist and a broken mid chain in rubber tracks on rough hard pack terrain, the first axle was explained as trying to climb a rock.
    Sometimes with the track on and climbing an obstacle the front tire may be braked by the obstacle and not climbed.

Example, a tired machine contacts the stump and the tire conforms and rolls over or slips against and over the stump with the slip of the rear tires aiding, next tracked machine contacts the stump and with the added rigidity very slightly conforms and pushes against the stump acting as a type of brake due to the friction. Now the issue, with the added friction of the brake action and application of the throttle something has to give, so the braking force increases outer side of sprocket as the rotational force increases on the inner side of the sprocket combined with the rear tires locked and pulling the axle back and tightening the track and wham shrapnel is flying.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread