hdpe body forming question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hdpe body forming question

hdpe body forming question

Would love to hear from those knowledgeable about forming bodies for our machines from sheet hdpe. If one could find a company with the proper tooling and willing to take on the job would it be possible to form a very small number of bodies on some kind of homemade form? Thanks

Me knowledgeable? No way. But I once viewed a TV show about making hot tubs. Basically only 2 steps: heat the sheet plastic then vacuum form it over the mold. I'd say creating that mold sturdy enough to hold the needed vacuum would be the costliest part of the project. And probably not cost effective for a 'very small number of bodies.'

Keith talk to Matt, he has made a few.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thanks guys, Just throwing around a couple of different ideas in my head and as usual there is a lot of rattling around.

hey keith, when i had my amusement ride buisness, i made quite a few molds for different bodies,etc. i built them out of thin plywood and bathroom board. got the general shapes and with putty and sanding got pretty close to the finished design. these were fiberglass bodies... the fiberglass co. then fine tuned them and the mold was ready.then they made the actual mold they would use for the finished production pieces off that '' wood '' mold. after about every 100 pieces or so, they would spiff the mold up and start production again. not sure fiberglass would work for your project...but i do think you could make the mold for vacuum forming with a little research. with fiberglass pieces, the glass is sprayed in the mold and pulled out. in vacuum forming , i believe it is formed over the outside of the mold. anyway...that's a little more info. johnboy va.

p.s. if you want, punch in ''royal train rides,inc.'' and you will see some of the rides i designed and built back in the day. johnboy

Thanks John, you can tell those kids love those cool rides you put together. I believe fiberglass is far from the best material for our kind of machines with the abuse they take.
    The HDPE just keeps springing back into shape after a hard ride as if asking for another round. Pretty amazing stuff.

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-23-2017 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks Bridget, That was a very informative thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
    Like this? This thread is almost 10 years old. Might help. Even has videos.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/attex...tex-molds.html

Bridget
    I can't believe i started that thread almost 10 years ago! I still check the boards and I've been following this one too Seems like the most cost-effective method is to make fiberglass bodies. They are cheap to repair, and fiberglass has stood the test of time with these machines. The fiberglass machines were even raced in NATVA (although I'm sure they cracked at times), and even newer models that were made like the AV-4 and the Hoot were fiberglass... and Hydrotraxx too?? I think...

Anyway, the conclusion that I came up with was if I were to ever design anything and make some custom design, it would be fiberglass at least in the beginning.

There was a guy named Wazza from the Route6x6 board from 15 years ago or so that built his own home made 6x6 ATV, and he made the body out of fiberglass. He used to have the pictures of him building the prototype body out of wood, but I can't find them anywhere online. I did have a couple of pictures of the machine that he made:

+ Reply to Thread