6x6 and tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6x6 and tracks

6x6 and tracks

It’s my understanding if your going to run tracks on a 8x8 it’s recommend you have a high torque transmission. My question is if I get a 6x6 with a 30hp Kohler should I have the high torque transmission or will the 30hp motor handle the shorter lighter tracks ?

For one it depends on what type of tracks and how you plan to run it. The biggest difference with the high torque trans is being able to comfortably engage the belt in high range without burning it like say climbing over downed logs on the trail. There's no issue whatsoever just using low range instead in any combination of setup.
    The rubber tracks take quite the load to turn in tall grass so the high torque helps to turn them more at engagement speeds too, not so much needed with plastic tracks. But yet again, not so much an issue if you stop everytime and simply place the trans in low range, it just gets annoying if you do these kind of things all day long such as I do. There is a loss of a good 3-5kph on the top end with the high torque trans but it is easier to get up to top speed even in deep snow and soft muskeg conditions at least.

+ Reply to Thread