Limits of operation for 6x6, 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Limits of operation for 6x6, 8x8

Sorry I should clarify, my machine is homemade and neither a 6x6 or 8x8.

Kinda curious what test they did to get 45°.

Here was the imp specs:

I know going up that slope will be treacherous but coming down will be no joy ride either. We have about a 30-35 degree hill where we moose hunt. Last winter my buddy had gone up it with his argo with tracks when it was warm in the afternoon. I came down it the next morning at -10c ....holy hanna there was no stopping the Max it was like a cow on ice . My buddy was watching and had a good laugh. His turn came ...he faired no better. Good luck on your 40 degree slope.oh and also we both run rubber tracks. :o)

70percent-path-up.jpg
    Sorry I think the site compressed my jpg too much.
    I checked and found the path up can be less than 70% at least according to the topo data.
    I drew circles that would indicate a 70% slope if they touch 2 topo contours (each is 2 feet of elevation). Only 1 spot comes close to that but it's near the top.
    I mapped a path that could be a 10% grade all the way up but it requires building a retaining wall to terrace the hillside.
    That path is a solid red line scaled to 4 feet wide in my sketch.At the steepest part of the hill the wall would be 1.2 feet if I also made a 1.2 foot cut into the hill.
    A 10 foot wide path would need up to a 3 foot retaining wall and a cut into the hill up to 3 feet vertical.
    in my dreams the future 6x6 ~ whatever can do the work to cut and fill the path. It could be solid rock though.
    My trailer has a 950 lb payload so if I was going to drop everything to get an ATV it would have to be under 950 lbs.
    Cheap is also necessary, cheaper than a Mudd-Ox or far from new.
    I've yet to ask or hear about plowing etc except the Argo? note about not going in the water with a plow attached. How durable are the lightweight 6x6 drivetrains?
    I expect they might be stronger than an ATV that is made to go 50mph.
    Last edited by Tour1; 09-02-2018 at 02:16 AM. Reason: fixed & clarified

Now, granted, I have a 22hp engine replacing what was 14 or so, but considering plowing: I have attempted to pull things (like phone poles and a stuck zero turn mower) with my Hustler 6x6 a few times. it seems that every time resulted in either breaking a bolt in the sprockets, making the transmission wonky, or some other Hustler-altering event. I think the main hang-up is the go-kart style clutch and belt not getting the power to the tires. Is there a 6x6 with real gears? Having both a small 4x4 tractor and a 6x6, I would say the 6x6 is not going to pull a plow through anything for the first time. You could probably run a set of disc harrows, but not a plow. Additionally, you don't have any sort of 3-pt lift like a tractor does. Plows are heavy. In light of that- I have had less "pucker factor" climbing the same 100 yard incline of silty rocks with the small Kubota than with the 6x6.

What about one of those? Depending on where you live, about $4500 will you get diesel, 4x4, a BRAKE! pedal, Ag tires, small size, and many, many options for implements. If you are reclaming land you'll want a bushhog as well. if you're planting you'll want either a tiller or harrows, right?

Granted, I've not had my 6x6 for very long, but it seems more for leisure and exploration rather than "work".

*EDIT* I just reread your first post. You don't want to plow a garden... Haaaha. Either way- you might be able to rig up some drag implement to the back of a 6x6. I don't see how you'd run a blade, front or back. It's just a plastic tub. Everything connected to the outside connects to that plastic tub, not a steel chassis. Somebody else has probably already done it and will show me wrong...!
    I'm just a southern guy, so I don't "really know" what snow is. Haaha!
    Last edited by SeanD; 09-06-2018 at 08:57 PM.

This looks like my dream machine right there, except he doesn't say what he paid for the setup.
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...tml#post225385
    I looked at some tractors for sale, the main drawback is weight because I have a folding trailer with a 950 lb net payload (as-is).
    Used old tractors like your Kubota seem to be comparable to 6x6s in price and availability, but even some 8x8s are under 1000 lbs.

Whatever test the builders used to get 45 degree climbs, a lot of the old brochures make the claim.
    If the climb is de-rated to 70% real-world then it should translate to an ability to push or pull 70% of its weight on the level.
    For adding attachment points my first instinct would be to use the wheel hubs if they weren't too fragile.
    I once had a car with splined racing hubs that bolted to the regular wheels' stud pattern.
    Considering how easily the racing wheels spun on those splines, a stub axle with bearings ought to work pretty good.

The competition seems to be between:
    1. a nice 6x6 or 8x8
    2. a conventional ATV with plow (and more, maybe)
    3. a small garden tractor, if I can find one that has gadgets and lends itself to rough terrain

Thus far unsaid is that the amphibs have built-in protection against accidental oil spills.
    I can see the Delaware River from one corner of the lot and although it's not a reservoir I"m sure people care about spills if only because they have well water.

Not 500.00, nor will you likely find a use able 6x6 for that money.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I said in my self-intro post in another thread that *smart people* said my bike was worth $500 in a forum 50% dedicated to my make & model of bike.
    (Just in case somebody didn't read all 6,500 messages in the other thread.)
    It's like selling freezers to eskimos over there, and I expect the same applies here but not for bikes.
    I put $1400 on a sign today and my mailman almost bought it.
    I'm a bad salesman, instead of closing or taking a deposit, somehow it came up that he might find it cheaper on the internet and he doesn't have a license to ride it. But he's coming back when he gets a license...

Take my word for it, my $500 bike has over $1300 worth of recent new and improved parts, easy.
    It comes with, maybe another $750 of parts that can be installed to restore it to as-delivered condition.
    And it comes with Haynes and OEM repair manuals.
    I might even throw in that 32mm or whatever it is socket that fits the big nut.
    I did make improvements since that $500 comment got posted (it wasn't even an offer, just a guy talking dealer-type talk).
    That's why I think I might get a great 6x6 bargain on this 6x6 forum, because that's what bike people get on the bike forum.

As far as my budget goes, it's spend it now, spend it later, or leave it to my heirs.
    Not that there's so much, just that there are competing expenses and tactics if that's what you'd call it.
    The great thing about spending it later is you can change your mind without losing as much money.

Here's a tech question;
    How much room is there to increase the sprocket diameter on the wheel axles?
    At 6 MPH a vehicle could cross my property in about a minute.
    Speed is not essential, low gears and torque are better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tour1 View Post

Here's a tech question;
    How much room is there to increase the sprocket diameter on the wheel axles?
    At 6 MPH a vehicle could cross my property in about a minute.
    Speed is not essential, low gears and torque are better for me.
    Most machines are near their limit to sprocket size at the axles from the factories and do in the 20 to 25mph range except 2 strokes, which you do not want as they will not WORK as well as 4 strokes, you can change the gearing at the transmission or the jackshaft with some extensive work to achieve lower speeds and more power. These are light amphibious machines intended for recreation or light commercial work like spraying or wetlands clean up.
    Personally if I was dealing with this grade I would hire an excavator to lessen the grade making a longer sweeping grade, with easier access be it by 6x6 or other vehicle if I were to traverse it regularly. While most all of these machines will plow snow, none will grade terrain like a rocky hillside on an extreme angle. Perhaps an old Snowcat type vehicle is what you could look into, more commercial and heavily built drive lines.

I wish you luck in which ever direction you go.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I don't know if this helps, but Mrs. Coffinman and I pull a 52" DR field mower behind our "Snurf" (a 2005 Avenger with a 25hp Kholer,) up and down some pretty good slopes on our 50 acres with no problems. It's proven itself to be not only a rec/pleasure vehicle, but a REAL work-horse as well. It's rated to tow 1800lbs and the mower only weighs 850lbs, so there's power to spare.

https://www.facebook.com/monique.cha...0148410266917/
    Last edited by coffinman; 09-08-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    "...So sayeth the Coffinman..."

(after writing a very nice lengthily post 6x6world decided I was no longer signed in and deleted it! THANKS )

SO in SUPER short summery:
    8x8s are very stable and great hill climbers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4-STWecPM4

Sounds like your looking for a Coot http://www.6x6world.com/images/broch...ting-atv-3.jpg

I've personally pinned my clinometer past 45 on nearly every outing. There may be machines that climb better, but I've never driven one that was more stable!
    Also you get your heavy duty tractor durability, and 6mph insane torque top speed lol.

+ Reply to Thread