Mudd ox Maintenance

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mudd ox Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by hancock View Post
    Changing the subject..........a question for AKExpress.

Mark, you had mentioned earlier about how an electronic fuel pump might improve some hesitation with throttle response. Is there a particular model or brand that you recommend for this and do you have a supplier in mind where it can be ordered from. The hesitation is not a show stopper, but there is enough there that I would like to remedy it if possible. I'm also wondering if that hesitation might somehow add to the backfiring during shutdown that happens sometimes, (ie the engine is working a little too hard trying to retrieve fuel from the line........). I had the carburetor adjusted a little, and the backfiring is less prevalent, but is still there off and on. You had said the electronic fuel pump would help hot start problems, but I have very rarely had issues with that and I think that will be even less on an event with the alternator/fan upgrade (as soon as I get around to it). So......if the electronic fuel pump upgrade would be primarily for hot start issues, I probably don't need it.
    Hi Hancock,

The electric fuel pump Mark was talking about is offered through Kohler. It is a low PSI pump desined to work with the carburator that is on the Kohler engine. It is not recommended to use any non factory fuel pump as it may have to much pressure and push fuel past the float valve and fill up the engine with fuel. There have been stories and photos of six wheelers burning to the ground because of this. The electric pump does help with the hot start, and hesitation. All 2010 model year Mudd-Ox machines have the Kohler electric full pump. I will send you one at no charge. The engine backfiring somtimes happens when the engine is turned off at idle. The 40 hp. Kohler uses a fuel shut off solenoid on the carburetor and this somtimes causes backfiring. Kohler reccomends removing the load from the engine and applying half to full throttle and then shutting the engine off. When this is done the engine should not backfire.

Matt

It is my every intention to provide the best machine, customer support and service in the market. I have now hired more personnel to help cover all of the tasks at hand. This will shorten lead times on machines, provide the best customer service and in May..............

These issues with back firing on shut down, I think are about lean running EPA regulated engines. With the key turned off, there's no spark, and something glowing hot in the engine or exhaust is lighting the fuel which is still being pulled into the engine simply because it's still spinning. A fuel shut off soleniod could help, but there will still be a shot of fuel at first.. letting it idle and "cool" internally for a second before shut off might help. If the kohler carb has low end mixture adjustment it might be richened to help the acceleration stumble, and lower the temps in cylinder and exhaust. Lean mixtures make heat.

My 12 year old argo had all of these symtoms when new, some said it was glowing hot tips of welder wire feed protruding inside the muffler, etc. Since modifying my engine 3 years ago, different fuel and exhaust, it's never once back fired. Just some ideas..
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Thanks, I appreciate the input.

Actually, Mudd Ox Inc. had made me aware of the Kohler recommendation to "rev it up" during shut down during a previous conversation. It does seem to help but not necessarily all the time. It just seems to me that there should be another avenue to fix the backfire issue without having to do that. The local guy who adjusted the carb had to break a seal to be able to make any adjustments, and according to him he leaned it out as much as possible. There has been a noticeable difference in how it starts, runs and idles and I'm fairly certain it was definitely too rich earlier on. (it was also laying a little too much black around the exhaust). It doesn't backfire as often or as loudly as it did before.

An interesting side not, is that this guy seems to think the carb is too small for the engine, and that is what accounts for the hesitation I experience when goosing the throttle. (keep in mind the hesitation isn't a lot....but it would be nice if it weren't there at all). He also told me that he was very limited on any parts he could order for the engine because it was made specifically for this machine. According to him, I would have to always go through Mudd Ox Inc. to retrieve any engine component replacement parts. Although I personally witnessed him confirm this with his distributor per a phone conversation while I was there, I'm still not sure this is entirely accurate. I haven't actually needed to order any engine components and haven't gone through the drill of trying to get my hands on them.

AKExpress has said he hasn't had any problems locally in Alaska from his Kohler certified mechanics/distributors. He also doesn't seem to buy into the concept that the carb may be too small and he is the one who put me onto the idea that an electric fuel pump might be helpful. As far as why the local Kohler mechanic and his distributor seem to think they are limited on access to parts, only time will tell. The only possible confirmation I have had of this so far is getting a new air filter, and he actually used a model off of some tractor that he said was nearly identical. If this becomes too much of an issue later on, I will try a different mechanic and see what his opinion is. Some of these local hillbillies know what they are talking about, and some of them don't. (not that I'm criticizing hillbillies...being one myself....but it is what it is).

had to break a seal to be able to make any adjustments

Everything is that was now. sealed at the factory, it reduces tampering, but unless you pull the seals and make adjustments, you are stuck with what ever problems you have. Although if the carb was working right, the factory adjustments shouldn't be too bad. If you're black and sooty, sometihng must be up. Small carb size generally means good low end and throttle response.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Humpty Doo, Northern Territory, Australia
    Hey Hancock,
    The Ch1000 engine that is in the Mudd-Ox is the Kohler basic spec as far as I know. I don't think there are too many machines other than Mudd-Ox fitted with them currently as they are a relatively new engine from Kohler.
    Parts are no trouble from a Kohler dealer, the air filters are not unique to the 40hp, so you shouldn't have any trouble there.
    With the hesitation, they jet them from factory to work well at normal altitudes, sometimes adjustments are needed.

+ Reply to Thread