oldest 6x6

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: oldest 6x6

There must have been a race to get the first machines out in the late 60s. I remember hearing that the first Attex 297s were sold in 1967 as well, but I think the first full-production year was '68. This is an interesting thread!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Moses states ramco retriever was 1965.
    Ramco retriever - Amphibious ATV Pictures

Seems we are slightly off topic now that we found out jiger was 1961, should we start a new thread on the production starting dates?

Some good read here.

I was going to ask because curious myself but better do my search first and glad I did.

Thanks

0ldest 6x6

I bought a used Jiger in 1967. It had 2 little 2 stroke engines (3.5 hp?) that fed into one large fancy exhaust manifold that rose vertically over the rear of the machine. I was a constant problem to keep the one engine idling when you powered the opposite one to do a tight turn. I bought a new Amphicat from the Beehoo Engineering factory in Streetsville Ontario in the fall of 1967 and took it home facing forward on the trunk of a 1966 Chev. Bel air. I bent more axles than i can remember but the factory kept it going weekly for at least 2 years. They went bankrupt sometime after 1971.

Quote Originally Posted by philipatmaxfour View Post
    I bought a used Jiger in 1967. It had 2 little 2 stroke engines (3.5 hp?) that fed into one large fancy exhaust manifold that rose vertically over the rear of the machine. I was a constant problem to keep the one engine idling when you powered the opposite one to do a tight turn. I bought a new Amphicat from the Beehoo Engineering factory in Streetsville Ontario in the fall of 1967 and took it home facing forward on the trunk of a 1966 Chev. Bel air. I bent more axles than i can remember but the factory kept it going weekly for at least 2 years. They went bankrupt sometime after 1971.
    haha good stories thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philipatmaxfour View Post
    So, you're the reason they went bankrupt!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    So, you're the reason they went bankrupt!
    Well I guess I didn't help any.

I own a 67 argo

Neat stuff om the Jiger.
    I seen one at the Mudd Ox factory & several other vintage makes in Matt's collection.

Getting off topic, but it sounds like it was hard for Gowan to declare bankruptcy.
    Meaning bankruptcy wasn't as easy back then on a persons pride as it's become today.
    Stephen, from Northern IN

I think the Jiger may have been the first mass-produced 6 wheel amphibious ATV, but I have a very old photo of a low-production 6 wheel amphibious ATV from the 1950's that was built in California. I'll scan it and post it up for everyone.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread