AATV vs Side-by-Sides

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: AATV vs Side-by-Sides

Hi! I've been researching the 6x6 and 8x8's for a while now. I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon as soon as I'm comfortable with my future decision.
    I MAY end up going custom-everything out there seems to have it's high points however no ONE machine seems to have it ALL. (Except maybe BWII's beast!)
    My dream machine, based on what I've learned would have 25 horsepower, T20, Dual sprocket setup, solid axels, 26" mud lights and room for 4 adults (I'm 6'3) and their rifles. 35-40 MPH
    I would use it for Hunting, plowing snow, and having some fun weekends with the family. The Max IV catches my attention but unless the Buffalo Truck and the Max IV have a baby there wouldn't be enough room for gear?? Seems like the Argo is better geared for hunting- don't like the Differential steering theory though.
    The other people in my group run the Ranger and Rhino UTV's. Is there a trail comparison between the 6x6 and these? I'ld appreciate any opinions and guidance you all could provide and thank you for bringing so much information into one area!

Quote Originally Posted by TripleTriple View Post
    Hi! I've been researching the 6x6 and 8x8's for a while now. I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon as soon as I'm comfortable with my future decision.
    I MAY end up going custom-everything out there seems to have it's high points however no ONE machine seems to have it ALL. (Except maybe BWII's beast!)
    My dream machine, based on what I've learned would have 25 horsepower, T20, Dual sprocket setup, solid axels, 26" mud lights and room for 4 adults (I'm 6'3) and their rifles. 35-40 MPH
    I would use it for Hunting, plowing snow, and having some fun weekends with the family. The Max IV catches my attention but unless the Buffalo Truck and the Max IV have a baby there wouldn't be enough room for gear?? Seems like the Argo is better geared for hunting- don't like the Differential steering theory though.
    The other people in my group run the Ranger and Rhino UTV's. Is there a trail comparison between the 6x6 and these? I'ld appreciate any opinions and guidance you all could provide and thank you for bringing so much information into one area!
    TripleTriple, the Max IV is a little limited with respect to cargo room if you are going to be carrying other people and gear with you. Several people on the site have made some storage areas under the seat by hinging it. That would help a lot. In fact, I just reread your post where you plan on hauling 4 adults. Four full sized people would be a tight fit in a Max IV even without gear. In that regard, it is hard to beat an 8x8 for the extra room. The Argo would definitely suit your hunting needs much better. As far as a comparison between the mainstream side by sides and amphibious ATVs, it is really comparing two completely different machines. The 6x6 or 8x8 will go a lot more places, and of course they float. The Rangers and Rhinos will give you a better ride with a higher top speed. If you are mainly riding groomed trails you probably wouldn't appreciate the capabilities of an AATV. If you are going places that have difficult terrain, mud, water, etc. then there is no comparison. The AATV will take you much further than any side by side could.
    Last edited by Mike; 11-26-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks Mike

I really don't know where to post the last few questions I have so I'll throw them in here. Maybe you could copy them to the appropriate forum?
    I understand the ride characteristics of the aATV's vs side by sides during "high speed" and light trails (picture test drive scenarios). The characteristics that are more important to me are things that I can't really test in a ten minute ride.

1) The aAtv's in general seem to be VERY stabile when off-camber and in the "steepies" How do the Argo's and MaxIV's compare to the Side by Sides in this situation?
    (I made the mistake of asking the only dealer around for permission to test that instead of forgivness LOL)
    2) From what I gather from reading, the Max IV's will compression brake? with a CVT??...or is that just using the brakes and or mechanical resistance of the the d-train?

Again, thanks for any input

Most AATVs are very stable on hills. I have never had a side-by-side on a really steep hill so I can't fairly compare the two. You will be able to get compression braking to an extent, but once the clutches disengage you will have to rely on the brakes.

I can almost guarantee you that any AATV is far more stable than any side-by-side out there. I would NEVER take one of these things where I take my 6 wheelers. They're extremely dangerous and will never have the capability that an AATV has. My advice to you would be to avoid any side-by-side and get an AATV.

Here are some things to consider (even though the class action lawsuit against the Yamaha Rhino was brought on by greedy lawyers):

On March 31, 2009, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission ("CPSC"), in cooperation with Yamaha Motor Corp. U.S.A., announced a repair program for ALL Rhino 450, 660, and 700 models to address rollover safety defects which have killed scores and injured hundreds of others in the U.S. Yamaha will suspend sale of these models immediately until they have been retrofitted.
    Consumers should immediately stop using these popular recreational vehicles until the free repairs are installed by a dealer. In conjunction with a group of the families of victims, the Center for Auto Safety, and the San Francisco Trauma Foundation, Lieff Cabraser advocated for these and additional safety changes in a safety report submitted to the CPSC.

YouTube - Stability Testing Of A Yamaha Rhino 660

YouTube - Rhino flip, hill climb FAIL . THIS GUY WAS LUCKY!

Yamaha Rhino Rollover Testing | ATV Accidents | Side-By-Side | UTV Testing | System Engineering And Laboratories (SEAL)
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Mike- That is what I thought, brakes seem ok though (on the new ones at least) so that puts that to bed

jpswift1 Judging by your avatar, you know the limits of keeping 6 wheels on the ground LOL!!

The last thing I want to get smart about is sidehilling and climbing. I have experience with side by sides and honestly, it isn't good. Last week my buddy flopped his Ranger while bear hunting and dumped 3 guys and their gear onto the ground. Last winter I flopped a Rhino into a creek bed. Both times the steering wheel got jerked and put us either into the bank last week or, into the creek last winter. Just based on design alone I don't see that happening with the T 20 equipped rigs? I'm 95% sure I see a Max IV with the seat mods, a cage and a LOT of storage mods in my future. Thanks guys.... I think the checkbook is getting warm!

Quote Originally Posted by TripleTriple View Post

jpswift1 Judging by your avatar, you know the limits of keeping 6 wheels on the ground LOL!!
    Haha, I sure do. That picture was from the 2009 6 wheeler motocross races at Pine Lake in Ashtabula, Ohio. It had a built 440cc Cuyuna engine in it and the machine, a very narrow first generation Attex didn't like to corner too well at very high speeds.......I certainly pushed it to the limits. For the trails most AATVs now a days are pretty hard to flip unless you're doing something really crazy. If you add some tracks to your Max IV down the road, it'll become extremely stable and it will do anything you could ever ask, including go through very deep snow and mud, climb, or plow your driveway. One of my Max IIs has tracks on it and I've walked it along the sides of some seriously steep embankments (that would have rolled any other machine over) in the woods of my backyard without hesitation.

Here's a clip of my friend Brady's '96 Max IV after we got done rebuilding it........there's a pretty good chance that if approached wrong, these inclines could have put a side-by-side on their side, haha. It climbs VERY well, but just keep in mind that everything has its limits and not to get too overconfident. I do think you'll be very happy with your purchase!

YouTube - Max IV Amphibious ATV hill cilmb action

YouTube - Max IV 6 wheeler Amphibious ATV hill climb
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

You will look cooler riding a 6x6! Max is a USA company, ride with pride!

I run a Max II in the hills around me...Kinzua area(you're a Pa person hope you know where that is) and have yet to find a hill/mountain I can't beat. Very stable and are great in the snow compared to a side by side. Plus being able to swim is amazing to say the least. I never realized I'd use the ability until I bought my machine. As for needing space I use a drag sled during the winter and a ATV cart during the summer if need be. Also the rollbars on top make a great roof rack since i built a cage for mine. And groundhog has the best point buy quality American products theres a reason a lot of the machines are 30 plus years old!
    The feat of sinking a max is a badge of honor.

Quote Originally Posted by bierbower37 View Post
    I run a Max II in the hills around me...Kinzua area(you're a Pa person hope you know where that is) and have yet to find a hill/mountain I can't beat. Very stable and are great in the snow compared to a side by side. Plus being able to swim is amazing to say the least. I never realized I'd use the ability until I bought my machine. As for needing space I use a drag sled during the winter and a ATV cart during the summer if need be. Also the rollbars on top make a great roof rack since i built a cage for mine. And groundhog has the best point buy quality American products theres a reason a lot of the machines are 30 plus years old!
    If you're in the Kinzua area you should join us Western NYers for a ride in the souther tier sometime. There are a lot of us around the area.

+ Reply to Thread