Ratcliffe 6x6

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ratcliffe 6x6

Ratcliffe 6x6

Here is a topic that will link together a lot of information of vintage 6x6 production. Here is a Ratcliffe 6x6. Ratcliffe 6x6 Take a look at the main body on this machine......it is an Attex! I wonder if Howard Gerber, Ray McKay, and John Gould (owners of Attex Corportation) sold bodies to Clay Ratcliffe. I saw one of these machines on ebay a while back up in New Hampshire and I believe the man who was selling it was a friend of Mr. Ratcliffe. The description gave a detailed history of Clay Ratcliffe and his 6x6 production. From what I remember, there were only 27 or so of these machines produced. They didnt use the T-20 skid steer like most AATVs did, rather they used 6 hydrostatic wheel motors. These machines were designed to transport utility crews up steep mountains to service gas lines and power lines. They were not sold for recreational purposes. Take a look at the VIN tag on one of these machines. http://www.ratcliffe6x6.com/images/r...d/IMG_0365.JPG
    It is out in Colorado, the same place the Sidewinders were produced.
    According to some very helpful information from Bushman, Mr. Ratcliffe also produced Sidewinders, which were carbon copies of Hustlers. "He was doing business with Lowell Chrisco who was the owner of Huster Corperation. Clay Radcliff was out of Colorado and bought custom colored Hustlers and marketed them with some neat options not available from Hustler and called his product the Sidewinder." Bushman mentioned that he saw one up in Northern Michigan with a polyehtelene red upper body and a white hull and it had Sidewinder stickers in the same style lettering as Hustler stickers. I saw a lot of them that were yellow on the bottom and brown on the top, and even one that was all blue on Craigslist. After reading Bushman's post, I saw that Mr. Ratcliffe also put out a 6x6 newsletter and he was extremely into 6x6's, kind of like us here on 6x6world.com! Does anyone else know any other information about this? Im very curious! I do know that the Ratcliffe 6x6 does look a lot like it is one of Whipper's Attex springer's relatives, haha.
    Last edited by jpswift1; 11-25-2007 at 11:01 PM.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks

That is a really good thread that you just started. It is some really interesting facts. thanks!

Kevin, is Evergreen Colorado near you? Maybe you can do some detective work for us!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I just found this old post about the Ratcliffe that I posted a while back.....

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/ebay-...6-vehicle.html

And heres the link for the ebay auction.

eBay Motors: RATCLIFFE HYDROSTATIC 4CYL 6x6 6WD MAX ARGO RARE 1of30 (item 160142472444 end time Aug-02-07 21:06:21 PDT)

Vehicle Description

ITEM IS ALSO ADVERTISED FOR SALE LOCALLY. I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO END THE AUCTION AT ANYTIME.

This is a very rare Ratcliffe (1 of less than 30) built around 1986 to service utility towers in remote locations. After spending months trying to locate former Ratcliffe employees, I spoke with the former VP of the company, and he told me a lot about the production of the machine and that there were probably less than thirty machines (30) produced, and that the vehicles were all custom built and sold for around $25,000/each back around 1986. I have never seen another.

The vehicles are highly specialized, and were not built to be toys (even though they are fun to drive and can be used for recreation). They are much more than any 6x6 currently out on the market today, and were built with a four cylinder Subaru engine and are fully hydrostatic (each wheel has a motor), and was built rugged with a full enclosed cab capable of hauling 6 or more people inside (it even has a heater inside the cab for winter months). Unlike the toy 6x6's, being amphibious was not designed into the body as crossing ponds was never intended for this machine. (I think you could make this unit amphibious though if desired by modifying the exhaust a little and covering the base of the motor underneath, etc) There is a winch mount located on the front nose of this Ratclffe, but no winch on it.

This was built to transport a full crew and gear in remote locations where there may or may not even be a trail. A winch or even plow setup could be mounted to this for utility use.

This unit is better than most all 6x6's I've ever driven. If an entreprenuer is looking for something to compete with Max or Argo, buy this unit, reverse engineer it, start remanufacturing it and you'll have a better machine than they do hands down. Who else is building an enclosed 6x6 with high ground clearance, suspension, hydrostatic drive, heated cabs, 4 cylinder engines, comfortable seating for six, winshield wipers, and a hydrostatic motor at each wheel? My buy it now price is less than you'll spend on Max or Argo, and you'll be getting a lot more for your money with this Ratcliffe.

(SEE VIDEO AND PICTURES SHOWN AT THE END OF THE LISTING)

Though NOT included in this auction and NOT shown in the pictures: If the high bidder desires an extra set of 6 wheels that could be mounted onto this Ratcliffe to make it a 12 wheeler AND wants a complete original set of double-wide Ratcliffe snow tracks (which would lay over the tires when you have all 12 tires mounted, to act as a snowmobile track, similar to argo tracks, but double wide for 6 tires per side) they can discuss it with me following the auction and if we agree on a value for them I will set up a private Ebay auction for them at the end of this listing. Otherwise, neither the extra 6 wheels or the set of tracks are included in this sale. I can send pictures on request.

As the video demonstrates, the machine starts easily, and runs and drives well. It is in good overall shape, is solid and is a great machine, but just to cover all the small things I can think of I'll disclose the following minor things I've observed: To start it, I just prime the carb a little with a squirt of fuel, then turn the key. It fires right up and drives well, but occasionally might stall after a while of running it (so it could use a tune-up I guess). Also, I don't think all the guages are working, but some are. I know this is a Suburu engine, but am not sure what the cc size is, so the cc size in the listing header might not be correct but ebay forced me to guess the number or the listing wouldn't go through. The wiper arm needs to be replaced (the motor works fine). There is a tear in the drivers seat cover. An extra gas tank was mounted in the back that is not original, as the front gas tank had a small leak (the original tank is still there if you want to patch it). Body could use painting and a little putty in some of the small cracks (see pictures). One or two towing hooks need to be welded on. I think one, maybe two, of the cooling fans to the hydraulic cooler and radiator may need to be rewired or replaced. Sometimes they may come on at the switch, other times they dont. The back door hinge that holds the rear door up needs adjusting. The headliner needs to be reglued to the ceiling. There was a Mars caution-light on this at some point (on roof) that has been removed (probably wasn't original anyway since there was no need for it in the woods). That's all I can think of to mention, it really is a good machine and very original.

I have owned the machine for about a year, and have used it in all seasons, as shown. It goes along well, and will pull about anything with plenty of torque left to give. I've pulled snowmobiles out of fields easily (see below picture for example), and climbed hills, gone through rough and wet terrain, etc. Nothing seems to stop it. I have never been able to get it stuck or find something it won't pull.

Here is a summary of the history of the development of the Ratcliffe company, as it was told to me by the former VP, John earlier this year when I interviewed him over the phone. John mentioned the following: "Clay Ratcliffe invented and developed the Ratcliffe Hydro 6x6 in Evergreen Colorado after seeing a need for a go-anywhere commercial vehicle to service utility towers in the deep woods in remote hard to reach places where it was difficult to get service crews. Clay was originally a 6x6 dealer and wanted to improve their performance, so he started experimenting by trying Briggs Vanguard 4 strokes to try and gain horsepower but the drivelines (Borg Warner transmissions were the weak link and couldn’t take the torque of the 4-stroke.) Clay wanted to put wide tracks on it but the transmission didn't hold up. So Cliff tried to go hydrostatic, and looked to Japan. In Japan, if vehicles had any rust in it, they had to junk them, therefore they had lots of extra Suburu motors. There was a California outfit that imported the motors, so Clay bought a bunch and put them in the six wheelers.

Back in the mid 1980’s. cell phone towers were going up everywhere, in high altitudes where transporting crews was difficult. Clay tried putting a V6 GM into a 6x6 (with the blocks mounted horizontally but it was too much for the 6x6’s so they went to a metal exoskeleton body. The orange paint under the Ratcliffe is brown, and under might be yellow. Clay began to sell a lot of modified bodies. Hustler (or perhaps Attex?) made a run of yellow bodies under and brown on top. It was two pieces, tub and deck. Early on Clay tried making bodies with tin, but did away with it in favor of modifying the 6x6 bodies. Clay experimented with tracks, and did away with the tire-track style (like Max or Argo have) and some units later were built with a daisy wheel track system. Many of the Ratcliffe’s have the metal exoskeleton with a poly body (note: mine is setup like this) Most 6x6’s were kiddie toys, but the Ratcliffe was a serious work machine designed to last and for servicing towers, etc... They are not amphibious, because that was not needed for servicing towers and their customers did not ask for it. The vehicle steers with two levers. Units have suspension via upright gusset in it, it is bolted to a sheer spring (giant motor mount) and is bonded to two pieces of metal.

ORIGINAL COST: Brand new, Clay was selling Ratcliffes, identical to the one featured on this site, for $25,000.

PRODUCTION: According to the former VP of the company, Clay only built and sold around 30 units with Hydro. Units were built to order. There were about 8 employees building them around 1983-1987. It was a very low volume, high cost item and the company folded after producing less than 30 units (not due to quality, but more due to manufacturing expense and market forces.) "

I know this is a very unique and rare machine. It is built better than any other 6x6 I've ever driven and should be given high consideration by anyone seeking a serious work/utility 6WD. Look at the ground clearance you have, and see if the other 6x6's you are looking at have suspension, a four cylinder engine, hydraulics and a full steel cab with seating for six. Nothing today even comes close to what this machine is.

Shipping to be arranged by the high bidder. International bidders responsible for all customs documents, etc too. I can help try to match the winning bidder with a hauler, as I have a few connections, but ultimately it will be your responsibility to choose a hauler. Don't think you can haul this in the back of your pickup truck (see pictures of it parked beside a full size F150, and notice that this is taller than the truck). From end to end this is about 9ft long, 7ft wide at the outside of the tires, and about 7ft tall from ground to top of cab. Located in Rochester NH. Please pay cash at pick up or pay in advance via a US bank check (allowing plenty of time for payment to clear.) I will not let the unit move from my yard until the payment is fully clear. Period. Cash is preferred.

I have a low undisclosed reserve on this unit that should easily be met during the bidding.

Please see my perfect feedback and bid with confidence. Call if you'd like to see this in person before bidding, or have any other questions I can help you with, 603-312-2142.

I really disagree with the statement in that description saying, he thought about using Briggs Vanguard 4 strokes to try and gain horsepower but the drivelines (Borg Warner transmissions were the weak link and couldn’t take the torque of the 4-stroke.) Clay wanted to put wide tracks on it but the transmission didn't hold up.
    First of all, in the early to mid 80's Briggs Vanguards werent even invented yet, and I know that a Briggs Vanguard could never be too much power for a Borg Warner T-20 since Recreatives, who are currently still in business today use them in so many of their 6x6's and Whipper is running a built very high horsepower Vanguard behind a T-20 Borg Warner transmission. Just look at all the machines with 3 and 4 cylinder car engines that have Borg Warner T-20's. I drove Hydromike's racer which was running at 6000-7000 RPMs and was pushing 50 HP or so and the Borg Warner T-20 held up just fine.

Jeff, great thread and a good history lesson. That is very strange about the transmission statement but you know how word-of-mouth can get twisted. Surely that's not the real reason for the hydrostatic drive.

Jeff, I did a little research and found the email address of the owner of that site. His last name is Ratcliffe so I invited him to come over and talk about the machine. Perhaps he can tell us some more about their history.

Very cool.....thanks a bunch, Mike! Sorry for all the responses to my own post, but I just kept finding more and more info. Did you happen to notice the Attex body that was used as the main part of the vehicle? I can tell that it is an ABS plastic body, not polyethelene since it doesnt have the raised body stripe on the side. Maybe the Attex Corp. cut Ratcliffe a deal on some old stock ABS bodies that were sitting around the warehouse since all Attex bodies from 1976 and on were polyethelene and the ABS ones were becoming useless to them.

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Kevin, is Evergreen Colorado near you? Maybe you can do some detective work for us!

It is 1 hour away. i would be interested, although i cant get out there tomorrow. what kind of things would i be looking for? That machine is really a beast! I would still prefer one of Whippers over a really top heavy rig like that.
    Let me know if you are still interested in a detective.

I would take Whipper's rig over that heavy Ratcliffe thing in a second! I love Whipper's springer and maybe I'll be able to get one sometime. Maybe you could just ask around the area and talk to some people about the Sidewinder/Ratcliffe sometime and see if they know anything. There is absolutely no rush and I was just curious about it. Dont go out of your way to do anything too extravagant, but if you are ever in the area there maybe someone at the factory could tell you some history about how they got it from Clay Ratcliffe or what they know about it. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread