Custom made volkswagon powered 8x8 with sea doo pump

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread: Custom made volkswagon powered 8x8 with sea doo pump

Now I remember what your talking about everyone I knew just threw them out. I think they just put the ring gear on the opposit side so you had 4 speeds in reverse an one in foreward and that was reversed at the reduction gears out at the brake drums. they put them on the older buses I think for the 40 hp motor.
    Yes your right about starting the TD18 on gas a six cyl diesel with spark plugs and a magneto. I dont think you could warm it up though on gas the 3/4 gallon tank ran out in about 60 seconds. 4 way cable blade 12 feet wide. I could weed eat 3 acres in about 5 min just dragging the blade in reverse.

I forgot to tell you guys I had a problem out at white rock or should I say two problems going up a steep grade for about 3 minutes it got hot and started missing. I think the air cleaner is to low in the hull and is picking up hot air off the engine maby the air intake for air blown over the cylinders also. So I will raise the intakes for both. When I turned around to drive back downhill it ran only for 30 sec. and shut off. The gas tank is in the nose and the used fuel pump must be weak it cant suck it up hill. just bought an elect fuel pump on Ebay for sand rails and will install it at the tank outlet 4 to 6 psi should do it turns on with the ignition switch. Luckly it coasted down hill to the semi flat area. I also found an automatic trans on Ebay and asked the seller some questions about it.

Hey guys I have an idea for my rear prop drive that some of us might try, give me your opinions on this. You know how a double wishbone suspention works in the front end? picture it with an air cyl instead of the shock and a prop instead of the tire. picture it on the back of walley. now I can pull it up out of the water until it is almost straight up. The prop will still be facing backwards just like your suspention hit a bump. but the air cyl will pull it up higher than that. Your drive shaft with the universal joints and the sliding splined shaft will all move to accomodate any position. Now the prop can turn from right to left just as the tire does for steering while the drive shaft powers it. What do you think? I should be able to build this fairly easy.

I was looking thru ebay for a decent propeller I found a 26 pitch prop that is the only info the seller could provide I took a chance and bid $12.00 I won the bid at $6.00 when it arrived it was a 14 inch 26 pitch 3 blade stainless prop with one tiny nick in one blade its worth around $250.00 that was good buy now to start gathering the other parts.

Quote Originally Posted by chris davison View Post
    Hey guys I have an idea for my rear prop drive that some of us might try, give me your opinions on this. You know how a double wishbone suspention works in the front end? picture it with an air cyl instead of the shock and a prop instead of the tire. picture it on the back of walley. now I can pull it up out of the water until it is almost straight up. The prop will still be facing backwards just like your suspention hit a bump. but the air cyl will pull it up higher than that. Your drive shaft with the universal joints and the sliding splined shaft will all move to accomodate any position. Now the prop can turn from right to left just as the tire does for steering while the drive shaft powers it. What do you think? I should be able to build this fairly easy.
    Very interesting idea Chris, I like it.

Cant wait to build it I'm going to pick apart tomorrow to see what I can get in the way of the steering knuckle, spindle and shaft. once its all together I can start fabbing the two wishbone parts. Once its all movable I will get an air cylinder to match the weight and travel. I still need to design a locking mechanism to lock it in the up position.

Well I've gotten the two aluminum angles and from an 89 honda I got an axle with cv joint spindle and steering knuckle, The cv joint closest to the honda trans I cut off because it didnt tilt enough. The universal joint I have clamps right on to the shaft and I will weld it on. Havent made up my mind weather to go with a 12vdc linear actuator or air cyl. to lift this but so far its coming together nice I have tried to post pics but every time it just says I lost connection to the server.??? but I'm still on line. I can still post videos on utube though so I will.

Hey guys I started a new job and am putting in 55 hrs+ sat. so no time to work on Walley now and no machine shop so I will have to pay for it all. Sucks when you have the skills but no machines to use for free. I did bolt the aluminum angle on the back vertically about 11 inches apart so I can fab my two a arms and use this angle as my pivot point for each one above the other. Bought a 13" 6 pitch brass 3 blade prop. I think this will work better than any of the others its razor sharp also. wish me luck I hardly have time to go to the machine shop.

Hi guys still haven't gotten to the machine shop yet and its 30 degrees in my shop when I have time to work on Walley so there is not much enthusiasm. I have made 2 of the 4 arms to pivot the prop out of the water but not much more I would have to warm up the metal to weld it it is so cold. At work I changed out 30 feet of double wide # 80 chain today man that stuff is $18 per foot but we turn in all metal for scrap. I bought a fifty foot roll for almost $1000.00. hope to test the prop drive this summer.

Any updates?
    Thanks
    Ty Turner

870-818-1315
    tyturnersoffroad@yahoo.com

JESUS ROCKS

+ Reply to Thread