Custom made volkswagon powered 8x8 with sea doo pump

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom made volkswagon powered 8x8 with sea doo pump

Custom made volkswagon powered 8x8 with sea doo pump

Mike ask me to start a new thread so here goes guys I think I have Pics of every stage of construction and even diagrams of the drive train.

When I decieded to build this vehicle I essentially wanted an 8 wheel drive boat that was not nose heavy ( engine in front) and have no fears in the water or braking on down hills would carry 4 people and all the camping gear (good payload) and I could fish from all day long and not worry about a windy day on the lake. Oh yea I did not want to depend on the tires for propulsion on the lake. I wanted a vehicle to drive across a lake for miles drive up on the shore and camp or 8x for some more miles to camp or hunt.

This is what I have come up with, having built several sand rails I had formed 4 c channels 10 feet long 5 inches tall from 10 ga. steel to form the lower frame for axle bearings. On top of this I made a 2" tube frame .095 wall thickness with all the diagonal cross bracing. Then I bought 3 sheets 5x10 feet of .092 aluminum had them bent to my specifications then welded for 8 hrs with a spool gun. When I put the frame in the alum tub I had to push it down with a fork lift with 500 lbs on the forks good tight fit.

Its 13.6 feet long and 72" wide the bottom section is 48" wide with 11" fenders each side. The entire edge is caped with 3/4 alumin. conduit. I have a sand rail 11 gal. spun alum. gas tank. The seats move on a rail and clamp down to where its comfortable and will lay flat also. The cushings I will have sowed will attach with velcrow so they can be removed to go under sleeping bags. there is also a roof rack for the lighter things like sleeping bags tent chairs etc. Eventually I will build an amphib. trailer also to pull.

Last edited by Mike; 12-23-2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added thumbnail link to pictures

Chris, that really is some great looking metal work. Please upload some more pictures of it to the gallery when you get a chance. I would love to see more, including some interior shots, pictures of the motor, transmission, frame, etc.

Immediately I have a ton of questions but I don't want to overload you so here's a few:

Is it complete or are you still building it? Also, have you been able to test it out yet?
    What kind of speeds do you get or calculate that you can get with it on land and in the water?
    What kind of transmission are you using?
    Is it chain driven?
    How are you engaging and disengaging the pump?

Thanks for starting a new thread. That is a unique project that looks like it would suit your needs perfectly.

Looks pretty cool Chris!
    Banned

added thumbnail links by copying the code below each picture and pasting it here

Mike
    No it is not complete yet and not tested, the vw bug will do about 72 mph on flat ground and it weighs 1850 lbs. so I estimate my rig will weigh in at 1300 lbs and do about 35 mph Im hopeing for about 12 mph on the water or more. Remember the vw trans axle is a 4 speed transmission with the rearend in the same housing 1st gear is 3.8 ratio and the ring and pinion is 4.125 ratio, the axle shaft to jack shaft is a 2.1 ratio so with 78 foot pounds of torq from the motor a stock vw bug should get 1222.65 foot pounds of torq at the axle but I have a 2.1 reduction to this so I should have 2445.3 fpt to axle.
    Yes it is # 80 chain driven. Im hopeing to direct drive the pump from an air clutch I purchased on ebay it handles 1365 inch pounds torq at 80 psi air. If this cant be done I will drive it Hydraulicaly with the clutch on the hyd. pump input shaft and a hyd motor on the sea doo pump.
    The trailer is hand built also with tilting ramps that stay down when you drive off and when you drive back up on them they tilt with shifting weight and latch automatically it also has elect brakes. I have also a 12vdc 3000lb winch. to attach to the trailer or to the rig.

chris davison

I saw the picture of the inside of the tub of your aluminum 8x8 in gallery, and you have installed a very unique drive system.

That is going to be very cool. Be sure to update this thread with any progress you make. I look forward to seeing it completed and hearing your thoughts on how it performs.

There is a couple more pics in the gallery now, one of the rearend and pump, the other is a good view of the inner steel frame transaxle disc brakes and jack shafts from the front seat looking toward the rear.

Here's the new pictures you just uploaded:

If you copy the code under the pictures and paste it into your post, they will show up automatically.

I took the fan shroud off the motor in prep to cleaning it up for installation. Had to cut some metal out of frame for motor fit as I had no motor to measure when building frame had to do it from memory of what it looked like. Most of the work is very easy for me as I have been a certified welder, an electrician
    a refergeration tech and Manufacturing process trouble shooter. Its time and $ that slow things down.
    I moved from Calif to Ark. to support ageing parents and had to set up an entire garage shop on their property. But now finally Im back to working on "Walley" thats what we call this vehicle. My wife is just as enthustic about it as I am Having loved to drive the other projects I've built.

Hi Chris, Glad to hear from you again. I don't know if you remember me, but we exchanged emails a few years back. Last I heard was you were going to sell your build, progress had been slow because you had hurt your back, and like most of us money was in short supply. Nice to see you motivated again. Looking forward to seeing "Walley" completed, I always liked the concept, and the components you used were first class.

Ray

+ Reply to Thread