another scrambler steering question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: another scrambler steering question

another scrambler steering question

I finally have my scrambler ready and after many different adjustments it will turn left just fine but right is a no go.Once in a while it will surprise me and turn right but then it back to me getting out and lifting the front end up to move it.Now my question is does all the weight in the back with the 16hp flat twin could that be affecting my steering?I read earlier post where the moderator said to keep the center tires aired up and let some air out of the front and rear tires.This did help but the weight really pushes the rear end down.I just have no idea how important the tire pressure is with these 6x6's.I had fun zipping around the yard in the rain just now and it sure is fun and fast but left turns are all I have.I have no low psi air gauge and the tailors tape I bought at ace hardware only goes to 60" and the tires say to measure to 65 inches.Replies and thoughts I could sure use with regards to air pressure weight distribution and why I rarely get a right turn.It does turn right while moving but its only moving right inches instead of instant skid steer like when I turn left.Steering wheel model.Thanks Alex in Mich-or Flippy

UPDATE-After removing steering column and rewelding the broken plastic bearing collars and also adding a tube to the bottom of the steering column to make the flex in the column disappear and also airing the tires up to 65 inches circumference the steering left was great and the right was almost there.Then after several adjustments with the brake adjustment clips I finally found the problem.The locknut on the right upper outer bearing retainer was loose.It looks like the plastic in the lock nut just squeezed out.After tightening it up the scrambler steers perfectly!!I feel hapiness and thanks to all.Maybe I can help other scrambler owners in the future.

Great news! I was going to say after reading your first post that the weight shouldn't affect it. We had over 1000lb easily of guys hanging on my brothers one crazy night while I drove it around. It turned just fine. It even climbed some dirt bike jumps. I was surprised what that old 12 horse could do!

Thanks for the answers about weight Larry.I plan on making a nice roll Bar and putting the steel all around the scrambler like I seen on this website!I also want to put a winch on.I just wish I could figure out if the vacuum fuel pump on the flat twin 16hp briggs will be able to pull fuel all the way from the front of the vehicle original fuel tank location to the engine.So Far no luck.I am going to rebuild the pump but It seems like a long distance and others on this site said to put a 1psi electric pump on.I looked at richards relics and his advice is a no no with the burned up 6x6 pics after a backfire.Currently I have the gas tank bungied above the air cleaner to help with gravity feed.My engine did backfire once when I shut it off at the key switch so Now I am confused about using an electric fuel pump.Advice??

The electric thing can happen but anything can happen. The vacuum pump should work find though. I would put a fuel pump bulb inline under the front so you can reach it and you may have to give it a squeeze or 2 if it sits a while. That is what I have ran and it works good. If it dont then maybe you have a pump issue or filter or something plugged. I might be getting my tanks mixed up but I believe there are plastic lines inside the tank that can rot and suck air so that might be something to look into. I know my attex was like that but I cant remember for sure if the scramblers are too?

Yes thats what I had a fuel pump bulb.I would pump the bulb till it got hard and the engine would fire right up.Run awhile then die.I had clear fuel line and the line showed no bubble so its obvious that I need to rebuild the pump on the engine and rehook the bulb back up.Thanks for letting me know that it should work.The bungee corded plastic gas tank is dangerous as I was spinning around in the wifes old garden and a bungee chord let go and the tank was flopping around the spinning air shroud.Luckily I noticed it and shut it down right away.I just never had a briggs engine with a fuel pump.Every one I owned was gravity fed.Once again your experience is helping greatly!Thanks for sharing!

+ Reply to Thread