Swamp Buggy

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Swamp Buggy

Swamp Buggy

Anybody notice the swamp buggy on Ax Men?
    I saw a cool looking machine going thru a swamp, I think the owner was named Shelby. It was only a 4 wheel machine, so it is "questionable" to speak of here!
    Aside from missing two wheels, it looked to be skid steer and quite cool.

Is this what your talking about? Your right, it is quite cool!

The only thing that would make that swamp buggy cooler was if it had 6 wheels!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    That ain't no swamp buggy, THESE are what we in Louisiana call swamp Buggies:Marsh Buggies
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

Quote Originally Posted by brushcutter View Post
    That ain't no swamp buggy, THESE are what we in Louisiana call swamp Buggies:Marsh Buggies
    Those things are so cool. I never see them up here in the flatlands. I always thought the pontoon tracks for trackhoes were awesome.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    Those things are so cool. I never see them up here in the flatlands. I always thought the pontoon tracks for trackhoes were awesome.
    They are awesome, I got to ride some of them back in '88 while doing oil exploration, only ever saw one of them stuck, wedged his pontoons between 2 trees, so only the very outside edges of the tracks could grab anything. Once he shredded the wood out from under them,(big chunks flying) he could no longer move at all, so I pulled the winch line to a tree and we were on our way again! That was the survey buggy as we were BUSTING a trail from the end of one line to the beginning of another. Then I was transferred to the recording crew and we were pulled -all day every day- through the swamp in a 8'X20" steel boat by another swamp buggy! If the company I worked with would have had permanent contracts doing swamp work, I think I would STILL be doing that.

Air boats were a hoot also, a lot stronger than one would think...

I watch that show all the time I want one of them just cant find any I wonder what powers it I would love to see some specs on it

I think Shelby's buggy is powered by a Cat engine with hydro drive(the constant high revs and whine give that away), seems that was mentioned on one of the early episodes in which the machine debuted. I gotta say though it is a powerful machine, he's pulling some big logs with it and they are full of water. Ya know come to think of it I came across a video of something very similar on youtube some time back. I'll see if I can find it.

Ok, while looking around for other things I stumbled across the vid I mentioned previously. I have no idea what it is but this is a cool looking ride and similar but smaller than Shelby's buggy. Did you see the episode where his cousin was helping him and they busted the worm gear on their winch? That episode really shows how powerful his buggy is, they drag a 20' long 24" diameter watersoaked log out of some SERIOUS swamp. kick ass!

I wish the quality was better, so we could get a good look at it. Looks like some cajun engineering at play. I'm thinking it's homebuilt. cool ride anyway!

pretty cool I would like to see his wheels better

+ Reply to Thread