My Trackster Build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: My Trackster Build

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Well, that settles that. I found brass flakes -big ones- in the case. I refuse to put so much effort into this machine, only to have something that I am less than 100% confident that when it is driven into a beaver swamp it will drive back out.
    The tracks are off, the front bumper and skid plate are dangling, the power pack is out, hydro's are at a hydrauic service facility to be cleaned and rebuilt. I'll break the xmission open and clean/repair as needed. I didn't start this project to have a "less than 100%" machine but rather a "better than 100%" machine.
    Last edited by brushcutter; 03-14-2015 at 07:28 PM.
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

Hate to hear all the litany of problems that have plagued you on this machine. It seems sometimes that when you repair two issues, five more come up.

Whoever ends up with this baby will have one heck of a rebuilt machine though.

I think we can all appreciate what you have been through, and no one would blame you from walking away. But, when this thing is finally done, it will be like a work of art. I vote that you see it through to the end.

I'll be keeping it Noel, when I finish, it will be better than new. The transmission was a big question ever since I got it, and the only part not to be reworked. I'm not in a hurry, and the boys respond better when we only do a small amount of work each day. I'm not pushing toward some deadline and that makes it way more enjoyable for us all. We took all week to get the power pack out, maybe 20-30 minutes a day. Tomorrow I'll break it down, maybe, maybe I'll do something else no more rushing to get it done.

Cracked the xmission case open this afternoon, easier to do than a T20, and this is what I found. The light colored spots you see are big chunks of metal, just as Craig said there would be. Also in there was sludge from having had water in it. Now I'm really glad I stopped trying to make the thing work, if it had started working ok, I would have at some point in the future, been stranded somewhere. The gears have no damage though and the bearings are all smooth. I already have the outer axle bearings, bought when I first ordered parts, they will be replaced, and most likely the rest of them also. No point tearing it this far down and not replacing them all. This thing might break down one day, but not due to me going less than all out on the build. #headedtothat150%restoredmark!

IMG_20150315_184513_805.jpg
    Last edited by brushcutter; 03-15-2015 at 08:16 PM.

Wow, five stars guys and girls, I feel honored, I truly do! Can't wait to repay that with some beaver swamp grinding video! Hopefully it won't be much longer, I think the hydro/xmission rebuild will get us going soon.

Sounds like you have a handle on the tranny issue now, I'm on the edge of my seat on this build. Can't wait to see her done.

Looks like I'll have the hydro's back before I get the parts for the transmission. Ricky messaged me today and said he should have them back together Thursday. The right one had loose pump piston slippers, and a stuck piston which caused the retainer to break. The other will have a few parts replaced. I figure since I already have it blown apart, I might as well replace all the bearings and save myself future problems.

IMG_20150402_160109_935.jpgIMG_20150402_155728_202.jpgIMG_20150402_160058_173.jpg
    Thanks ups, I'm so glad you brought back my hydrostats in such damaged condition. I would just hate to know I could have made a test drive today.

Why is it that every one of my first drives in any of these things is at night?

It's Alive?

+ Reply to Thread