My Trackster Build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: My Trackster Build

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir

My Trackster Build

Well the looking stage is over, and the build {DE-build} has started. First pic, the float ring had become detached and is cut to make removal easier. My plan is to do a hybrid Gen one crossover from a "detachable" float ring to the one piece tub where the ring is glassed to the lower tub. Don't like the thought of being in some feet of water and bye-bye floatation I Y K W I M!
    trackster build 023.jpg

Before that can happen the area above the axle supports will have to be cut out and glassed so as to allow the transmission to be removed in the future without removal of the float ring. You can see where the support is rusted through, the other side is the same. And I was afraid I wouldn't get to do any welding on this build, looks like there will be plenty of that.
    trackster build 026.jpg

23 things that will NOT be used when it all goes back together, can you say pita!
    trackster build 029.jpg

Got 2/3s of the crew to help and the top is off!
    trackster build 028.jpg
    trackster build 030.jpg

We've got a long ways to go but we're on our way!
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

Looks like a fun project and one mean machine!

looks like a little army tank
    U.S. COAST GUARD

teardown update

We finished dismantling the trackster today, so I thought I would post an update, for those interested. I've got a LOT of pics and will post some to let you all know what I'm up against. Let me say that I am pretty much at a loss for words on this machine, it is really heartbreaking that someone would let such a work of art fall so far into deterioration as this one has. Some parts of it are so far gone that there is no option but to order complete replacements for them. When repairs have been made in such a poor manner as to make duplication impossible, we are left no other alternative. As you will see in some of the pics, there were bolts that rusted to the point that their heads couldn't even be recognized as such. I think I did manage to actually remove 8 or so with standard methods- wrench, socket, and impact. All and I repeat ALL the remaining bolts had to be cut off using a cut off wheel and angle grinder it's THAT bad!

trackster build 2 005.jpg
    trackster build 2 001.jpg
    trackster build 2 017.jpg
    trackster build 2 012.jpg
    trackster build 2 011.jpg

More to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by brushcutter View Post
    We finished dismantling the trackster today, so I thought I would post an update, for those interested. I've got a LOT of pics and will post some to let you all know what I'm up against. Let me say that I am pretty much at a loss for words on this machine, it is really heartbreaking that someone would let such a work of art fall so far into deterioration as this one has. Some parts of it are so far gone that there is no option but to order complete replacements for them. When repairs have been made in such a poor manner as to make duplication impossible, we are left no other alternative. As you will see in some of the pics, there were bolts that rusted to the point that their heads couldn't even be recognized as such. I think I did manage to actually remove 8 or so with standard methods- wrench, socket, and impact. All and I repeat ALL the remaining bolts had to be cut off using a cut off wheel and angle grinder it's THAT bad!
    My terra tiger was almost overflowing with a solid ice chunk when I got it. Everything will need to be gone over, the body repaired and the whole drive system cleaned up.

Just take a drive through a scrap yard when you want to see what nice things people let go to waste. I seen people drive backhoes and dozers off trailers at the scrap yard and get a couple hundred bucks for a running driving machine.
    U.S. COAST GUARD

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeljp86 View Post

Just take a drive through a scrap yard when you want to see what nice things people let go to waste. I seen people drive backhoes and dozers off trailers at the scrap yard and get a couple hundred bucks for a running driving machine.
    Yeah, what is even more bizarre is when folks refuse to sell something that someone else would love to have the chance to restore, this happened to me a few years back. I found one of these not far from my home and the guy wouldn't sell it, at that time it had small trees growing in the tub. What's even wilder still... he STILL has it and he STILL won't sell it!
    here's a few more pics, needless to say, I've got a really long parts list...

Both the nuts in pic 3 should be the same size. The other shots are of random carnage.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by brushcutter; 03-24-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Looks pretty rough but you sound like you can handle it! Thanks for the updates!

Quote Originally Posted by brushcutter View Post
    Yeah, what is even more bizarre is when folks refuse to sell something that someone else would love to have the chance to restore, this happened to me a few years back. I found one of these not far from my home and the guy wouldn't sell it, at that time it had small trees growing in the tub. What's even wilder still... he STILL has it and he STILL won't sell it!
    here's a few more pics, needless to say, I've got a really long parts list...

Both the nuts in pic 3 should be the same size. The other shots are of random carnage.
    There was some type of 6x6 ampib right down the street, I was friends with the guys son and asked about buying it. He said it was his uncles and i told him to ask his uncle. He wouldnt ask his uncle so I asked who his uncle was so I could ask. Long story short his uncle loaded it up and paid $80 to dump it at a landfill.

There is a small dozer near me forsale, its in bad shape. I talked to the owner I offered $1000, I swear he said ok but when I went to pick it up and gave him $1000 he wanted $2000 and said he can get $2000 in scrap. I said no way and he said Im hauling it off to the scrapper then. I called the scrap yards and for that weight it would be $750. Sure enough he hauled it off and hauled it right back and put it back out to the road. Its been there almost 2 years now. I guess he is waiting for me to come back.
    U.S. COAST GUARD

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeljp86 View Post
    There was some type of 6x6 ampib right down the street, I was friends with the guys son and asked about buying it. He said it was his uncles and i told him to ask his uncle. He wouldnt ask his uncle so I asked who his uncle was so I could ask. Long story short his uncle loaded it up and paid $80 to dump it at a landfill.

There is a small dozer near me forsale, its in bad shape. I talked to the owner I offered $1000, I swear he said ok but when I went to pick it up and gave him $1000 he wanted $2000 and said he can get $2000 in scrap. I said no way and he said Im hauling it off to the scrapper then. I called the scrap yards and for that weight it would be $750. Sure enough he hauled it off and hauled it right back and put it back out to the road. Its been there almost 2 years now. I guess he is waiting for me to come back.
    What can ya say? People are just weird that way. Sooo...... when are ya going back?

Here's where I stand with the parts list right now 57 part numbers coming to a grand total item number of 227 individual parts. And that doesn't include all the stainless steel nuts, bolts, and washers.

JEEZ, I don't think there were 227 parts in either of the Hustlers, maybe not even in both combined.

Who's got a hustler... anybody want to give me a parts count on it... anybody?
    Well, I guess it's time to start ordering... This is gonna take a while!

+ Reply to Thread