My new project Sierra T-Boss

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My new project Sierra T-Boss

My new project Sierra T-Boss

Just picked it up for $300....need love...but it's what we do....lol

A person who says "anything is possible" obviously has never tried to staple jello to a tree....

I got some pics of the running gear....I've researched the unit and it's supposed to have 2 trannys right? Mine has one...everything looks like it works as it should....I read that these go forward and reverse when you move the sticks....mine has a shifter to do forward and reverse..and the sticks are on the right instead of left....anybody have any expert opinions on what I got? I hope it's not "frakenstiened" together....lol

A person who says "anything is possible" obviously has never tried to staple jello to a tree....

looks like a nice machine

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sal View Post
    ...anybody have any expert opinions on what I got? I hope it's not "frakenstiened" together....lol
    Yup, Thats a T-20 shoved in there not the original tranny. If it works, you are probably better off, but it looks kind of cobbed together. I don't like the extension on the input shaft, but at least it is braced. I would redo everything and center the t-20 so the machine is better balanced as well as getting rid of that crazy extension. The good news is you got everything there to work with and the parts for the t-20 are available and still produced.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Thanks Drew...that makes me feel a lot better...lol...I should of done more research on it....but then I probably wouldn't of gotten it. After reading your post I looked at it again and it looks well engineered..the shaft is supported on both sides and they are greasable, there are adjustment assemblies for the chains, again well engineered....when it's running, it goes forward without touching the sticks, just give it throttle you pull them back to turn or stop, when you go in reverse you pull the sticks back to make it move...I guess it's working right. It's got a 10 horse single Briggs in it that moves it, but I have a 440cc twin cylinder 2 stroke Kawasaki out of an Arctic Cat snowmobile that I think will move it better...lol...you guys think it's worth the time/money to put it all together?

Well I decided to tear it down and start the whole process...the more I look over the re-engineering that was done the more I'm thinking "leave well enough alone"....it all works, it's tight, and has slack adjusters and everything....it was definitly well thought out....so I think a clean up of the chassis and check everything, the T-20 probably needs to be gone thru I'm sure...and once the chassis is out I can mount the 440 Kawasaki engine and make an "engine tray" with rubber isolators and adjustment slots for the belt....fix all the small defects in the tub, rewire it and last but not least the tires...lol...should be a wicked ride with a 38hp 2 stroker powering it...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sal View Post
    Well I decided to tear it down and start the whole process...the more I look over the re-engineering that was done the more I'm thinking "leave well enough alone"....it all works,
    I think you need to replace the exhaust system.
    Was the previous owner in the plumbing business?

Yea you gotta love redneck engineering...lol...the chassis re-engineering looks like someone really took the time to build it right...the guy I bought it from was the "slap it together and ride" kinda guy, hence the 10 horse briggs (which I got running and runs pretty good) but didn't take into account that the briggs has a 3600 rpm limit, only 10hp and has a different power curve (speaking on clutches)...which is definitly not enough for the machine to be all it can be....I'm transplanting an Arctic Cat snowmobile engine in it (440 Kaw twin) supposed to be 43hp from what I've read, it has a Makuni carb on it so the transplant should be fairly straight forward...I've gotten ideas from a few examples on here for an adjustable engine plate with rubber isolators...I'm pulling the chassis to clean everything up, get an idea of how all the added chain adjusters work and the ease of fitting the engine onto the chassis. I'm thinking of going with a hand throttle on it too, I liked it on my old Attex and it would be easy to do....the main reason I think whoever did the rework on the chassis did it that way was because the latterals would of had to be centered or close to center and the machine has "bucket seats" molded into the body...so centering the trans would put the contol levers in an awkward position.
    Last edited by Big Sal; 03-31-2012 at 08:14 AM.

You may want to check the driven end CVT as the cam side usually faces the T-20. They may have installed a reverse spring in it to get it to work. If you plan to put the sled engine in you will want to have a proper CVT setup.
    Acta non verba

Gotcha....I'm assuming because the briggs engine and the Kaw both rotate clockwise looking at the pull starter side they would be the "same" so to speak, the machine had the stock engine in it when the previous owner got it, but it was siezed...so he swapped in the Briggs engine...my guess is he probably used the clutch from the original engine...the Kaw has a clutch on it already and I'm hoping I can use it without swapping it out. When the time comes to fab eveything in I'm gonna be asking a ton of questions to make sure its done right...I'm not one to half a$$ anything together...that causes more problems then it's worth...lol. I'm going for the "rider/driver" thing rather than a full resto....I just want something decent to have fun with...lol
    Last edited by Big Sal; 03-31-2012 at 08:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread