Gotcha T20D let the build thread begin

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gotcha T20D let the build thread begin

Gotcha T20D let the build thread begin

Well it is official, I have started to build a custom Gotcha. The body and frame is currently located at a fellow members shop. I am using a Max II frame that I am currently into for about $75 and should be able to get some more money back from it still. I picked up the Gotcha body in Michigan a while back. It cost me $100 and came with all the parts already disassembled. I actually bought it for the parts for my other gotcha so its purchase is serving a dual purpose. I am into the t-20 for about $200 and probably need to throw a few bucks at it before it is installed for use. And here comes the icing on the cake, a brand new kubota 2 cylinder diesel for $250. Now the engine does need a component or two so it will work. I was told it needs a starter, an alternator, and a stub shaft machined to accept a clutch as well as a radiator and some hoses as it is a liquid cooled engine. Hey Hydromike and Don, if you know what I need and can point me in the right direction that would be great. I am planning on using splinned axles from RI for this build, but have not decided on tires. I am thinking of using the new vampire dsx's when they come out, but if I run across a deal on some aggressive 26,27,or 28 inch tires that might change. I am hoping to not only document this build, but document the cost as well. And no I will not put a value on my time as this is my hobby, something I do for pleasure not profession. I will try and account for shipping costs, but so far all major parts have been acquired through 6x6 network or utilizing my company car which I get free gas for. I am willing to document actual costs to prove to new members how inexpensive a patient build can be. I did not go out and buy everything at once and if I had my costs would be much higher. So far I have been acquiring some of these parts for over 6 months. I try to buy any t-20 I can if the price is right and have been able to obtain a few of them for about $200 in the last year or so. So anyway, let the fun begin.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Cool project, Drew! I'm out of starters but think there's an alternator around here someplace. I'll have a look.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

I remember a contest in a magazine.....I forget what it was, Truckin', Hot Rod, not sure, but anyway they had a budget build off contest. It was all about who could build the coolest car or truck for under a set price. Now this is a totally custom build, not a restoration, so I'm going to say that it might cost a little more than a restoration, as custom projects usually do, but still completely do-able. Budget builds are great.......just like your Max IV. That turned out so well and you spent so very little on it.

Anyway, back to the Gotcha build. That Kubota z482 is going to be a GREAT powerplant. Very torquey, super reliable, extremely fuel efficient, it'll last just about forever, and it's a small and compact size. Here's a brand new starter for it:

New Kubota Tractor Starter T1600H Z400 Z430 Z482 WG750 | eBay
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I think the cost of this build will be relatively low, but more than my racer or Max IV. There is surly going to more to it than a bolt together rebuild, but I think in the end its cool factor will be a bargain at the price. I uploaded a few photos of the initial frame cuts in the gallery. I would have gotten some of the frame in the tub, but my phone died. We were working on this project pretty late in the day. Here is a video of MaxIV Mark making a cut in the Max II frame. More to come.

Hey Drew,

Sorry I'm late to responding to this. The starters are pretty common units as JP pointed out. I don't have extras, unfortunately. If you're not all that concerned with producing a ton of voltage and just need to run a small fuel pump, I have a couple of the smaller dynamos that should bolt right up to it to get you by. Their output isn't fantastic, and forget running headlights for very long, but it's voltage. The gas engines seem to run really cool when they're not tightly enclosed, so you might be able to get a radiator similar in size to what I run on 5 and the SSF. I'll have to double check to see if the 482 flywheel has the same bolt pattern as the 750s to see if they're the same. I'd give you the old stub shaft off of Big 5 if I could only find it. The runout wasn't as bad as I previously thought, so a couple-thousand rpm won't cause the stub shaft to rattle any more than the oil-burner is going to rattle anyway.

Let me see if I can't find that thing for you at some point. Let me know on the dynamo, too.....

I made it up to MaxIV Mark's shop yesterday to get a little bit of work done on the Build. We chopped the frame down to fit the tub. [IMG][/IMG] All the cuts were made in front of the t-20 mount/jack shaft tower. The front axles are going to line up with where the laterals attatch to the frame. This should not be a huge deal as I am using inner bearings on the splinned axles. I may have to use a few washers to space the flange out from the frame a bit.[IMG][/IMG] Because we choped the front of the frame down and left the lateral position to the t-20 unchanged, I can use all the stock Max II linkage, and there is plety of room for everything to fit in back. It looks like its going to be one bad @ss toy. [IMG][/IMG] More pics are in the gallery if anyone is interested.

It looks awesome with those tires sitting under it. This is going to be a great project.

that is cool. looks good.

just googled these got'cha's. pretty neat machines.
    what year(s) were they made?
    any pics of your other one drew?

Quote Originally Posted by 295YOOPER View Post
    just googled these got'cha's. pretty neat machines.
    what year(s) were they made?
    any pics of your other one drew?
    The Gotcha was released for sale on July 23rd 1970. I am unsure how long production lasted, but I think there were only about 500 made. Action-Age manufactured them and was a Cleveland based company. It was basically a 4x4 Scrambler, but was the first AATV to use the Carlisle tire on rim combo rather than a balloon tire.

Here is a pic of my old stockish Gotcha. [IMG][/IMG]

I also posted more pics of it in the gallery as well as an NATVA article talking about it when it was released.
    Last edited by amphibious drew; 01-01-2013 at 05:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread