Need and engine for a Muskateer

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need and engine for a Muskateer

Need an engine for a Muskateer

Recently found a moderately complete Muscateer.

Missing tires and engine and seats. Other than that it appers to be in very good condition and pretty original/complete. Amazingly everything has come apart easily, some nuts with a light twist then fingers... quite different than what I am used to restoring old Mustangs. No rust in fiberglass!!!

In any case I have no idea how the original engine mounted, what type/model it was, and what may be available to patch one in that will work. Web searches have found a few bits, mostly here... which led me to signing up and posting this...

Anyone got any ideas/suggestions? Never dealt with 6 wheels before, but pretty handy with a wrench...
    Last edited by mert; 05-29-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: moved thread from Engine forum to Other AATV forum as it is Muscateer specific.

Hi Mert, welcome to the forum. According to the Muscateer brochures, they came stock with either an 8HP Kohler or a 10HP Tecumseh motor. If you search the site, there are a few members who own Muscateers that have posted some photos. Here's one with a Briggs 10HP:

Hopefully one of the Muscateer owners will chime in and perhaps show some more detailed photos for you.

Take a close look at your secondary clutch. Measure the width(belt) at the top, and the diameter. That will help you determine what type of primary(motor) clutch you need to work with it. Knowing the type primary, will tell what shaft size motor to look for. Usually a 3/4" or a 1" shaft. Clutches for the 3/4" will be cheaper, and so will the replacement motor due to the lower hp. I would go for the highest hp motor you can find for that shaft size up to a 16hp clone. Check these out Duromax 16 HP Go Kart Log Splitter Gas Power Engine Motor XP16HPE Electric Start | eBay

Which transmission do you have in your Muscateer? Is it the Hagen (cast aluminum housing with a bunch of fins around it) or is it the earlier model with the black box?
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Big "Black Box". Opened it up and inside it looks brand new. Amazingly clean, some "goo" in the bottom of the case, but overall way better than I expected to see.... All levers work fine and the push/pull control rods are all in good shape too....
    Last edited by mert; 05-28-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Some pics of the existing black box

Also looking at a set of 3-to-5 lug adapters, new rims and tires. Whole setup for about $900, good price for a bolt-on set???

Cool! It has the optional propeller. I'd love to see some videos of this machine in action in the water when you get it up and going. $900 for new rims and tires (21's or 22's I'm guessing) is very high. Was that the price from Richard's Relics?

If you want to save a lot of money, you can get the 3 to 5 bolt adapters from Tim at Adair Argo.

adairargosales - 3 To 5 Adapters

And if you look around on the 6X6World classifieds you'll find some very good deals on wheels and tires. For example, here are some pretty much new 21" Carlisle tires mounted on rims that Amphibious Drew is selling.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/parts...s-400-obo.html

Or you can get brand new Carlisle tires for $62.95 each with free shipping here:

Carlisle AT101 Chevron Tires 599044 - PowerSportsPlace.com
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks very much for the info! I did see the adapters @ about $15 each. Looked at a few different tires, some of the "sand" tires seem to be applicable for flotation too... but had a hard time finding 5 lug rims as most seemed to be 4 lug. What rims would work with the adapters and tires noted?

Going to be a while before its back up-and-running, but will be happy to share videos once done. Plan on freaking out the folks up here on Leech Lake and troll for walleye in it once we get it going!!

We will be doing a restoration blog...

+ Reply to Thread