Muscateer out for a drive

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Muscateer out for a drive

Well had a interesting afternoon yesterday. Had the Muscateer out for a bit of a drive...-12C yesterday was not going far..

24KMH top speed on slight downhill grade 22KMH flat ground...pavement.

Had the feed fuel line blow off IP couple times and before I knew what happened dumped crapload fuel into the tub...ROFL that's ok chains neede a good lube and degrease all in one. I'm running 100% Biodiesel right now the last of what I had. Now my chains are sparkly clean

I'm seeing some flex of trans when I actuate R or L control in F or R and I've hopefully discovered from that the chain clatter I hear. I'll be careful and not over tax it till I can re-evaluate and reinforce mounts.

no heat in shop last night and today it was -3 C or bout 28 F. I did a cold start video of the machine and wow...seems to work well at that temp. I'm quite impressed how well it started actually.

For some reason the previous owner of the engine said it would not start well. Hmm...guess I know more bout diesels then?

quite decent oil pressure when cold and not bad 42 when warm...

Loading a video as I type so I'll add it in once it's all loaded up.

Today I'm going to town see about some bolts for throttle pedal and speaker wire to get my flashy lights working. Hoping to bolt my throttle pedal in...wife said NOT FOR A WHILE for cable throttle purchase..you spent enough on that thing already...to get cable pedal, and she's right I have. Thus I'll do what I can to come up with some foot feed throttle..God Bless her

Appears that all in all it is working as it should so time to refine now from my observations.

Suppose need finnish wire that winch controller box in should be simple nuff...and then a rear 12V receptacle as well, I'd sure like to add on a 5/8 VHF whip antenna for use of SAR handhelds etc while out on machine.

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by Mike; 12-02-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: embedded video by using full URL and not the youtu.be version
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Hey that's a great video.. I'm getting a new camera that does vid's so I'll post some too.. And the diesel is running good.. Lot's of torque from them.. but low RPM's 3200 max.. so no speeding .
    See what's up in my workshop.. www.robeye.net

Quote Originally Posted by robeye View Post
    Hey that's a great video.. I'm getting a new camera that does vid's so I'll post some too.. And the diesel is running good.. Lot's of torque from them.. but low RPM's 3200 max.. so no speeding .
    Thanks Rob, ya it's coming along nice, all pics and vids are done on my Samsung S5 Active cell phone..

As for ahem engine speed, well this one is rated to 3600 and it's turned up a wee bit...4K

Last night, got my 3 flashy strobes installed, I may do the green flashy light too ifn I can ZAP strap it down to winch...Hmmm...could be ok, then it won't spit off when doing some donuts!

Today was winch control solenoid wiring. Thus this is what I had...and where it is now.

So first up underneith the front of unit where the wires pass through this is how it's all gooped on inside with RTV

I've got wires cut to length and crimp ends installed.

Here is winch control box as it was wired...that quick connect originally was main power feed....it's craptastic wire, and the other end of quick connect is 14/3 extension cords with the 3 wires tied together for feed lines with large alligator clamps to hold onto battery...what a joke

Notice to the left, the two wires with green tape, well for some reason they utilized 4 wire feed to winch motor instead of a much cleaner 2 wire feed. You will see the changes as we go along...notice where those wires come from...bottom R and top L solenoid....OK we can fix that LOL

close up of ground feed with black on solenoid stud...these pics are for me when I do this work so if I get mixed up I can refer back to the original LOL

Now look lose to bottom right solenoid, see the YELLOW 10/12 ring terminal...ya that was on cross over cable to upper left solenoid..so I had to fix that concoction ugh...why do people have to do stupid to everything? Why?

EPIC...

ahhh...now I feel better...fixed that stupid wire...more to go

HERE are the two POWER IN wires from Battery...notice the colour on the solenoid studs depicting - and +

Here I've got my two power wires that go to the Winch...now see how much cleaner and improved that solenoid pack is with correct wiring...ya...

and room left over for power in, once I get more wire...ugh...

Now this is how the control box will be on my glove box, however flip it over and tuck it in to right of fuel tank...so control box will rest ON TOP. As it is right now it's just 180 degrees out...the whole package will flip over and tuck in nicely and I can connect the controler to that funny plug visible

This has been an interesting ordeal however I'm sure it will pay off big time with low power loss and effective winching.

All wire is 4ga and that's bloody overkill for a 2000 lb winch but eh...maybe I'll go bigger one day.

Stay tuned and once I get more wire to route battery to control box I'll finish that up too. Then it's a similar setup that need be run to rear for a rear 2 K winch I have here already.

Thanks for looking.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Too much work ! I made a trip to Harbor Freight Tools in Spokane and bought a 2500lb Badlands winch for $49. and it came with the control box , rollerhead, all the 8 ga wires and a wireless remote.. It will be going on the Terra Jet that I keep. Or maybe change out the 2000lb on my flatdeck trailer.. it moans a lot when I drag big stuff on the deck..

Hey Rob,
    I was at HF the other day eyeing one of those winches. I haven't heard much about them either way. Let us know how they work out. Thanks
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

I put one on My trailer and it seems to work alright, its mounted inside the toolbox and the wireless still works @ 30ft away.

I don't feel that doing things right is too much to ask for and when you take a yard sale 35 buck WARN 2000# winch you be happy it's working and in decent shape. The few bits of wire I had to redo are fine, cleans up the whole thing and well worth the effort.

Had to pull control box out as I don't have enough 4ga primary wire to run to battery and I'm doing that once and once only, so until I come up with a bit more wire I'll wait to install it, besides I have to be in parade tomorrow for SAR display.

I have 3 strobes, BLUE and RED on rear of machine, and an ORANGE on the front, as well as a CODE three 5 way rotating beacon in GREEN

All the lights are working and I can make 3 stobes or Green flashy one on or all 4.

Took inlfated tyres to 17 lbs and they have a hell of a crown on em. BIG TIME CROWN...absolutely perfect for doing high speed donuts in parade. Should be really fun and I'm tellin ya by end of parade I'm near wanting to barf....imagine a nice projectile barf as I spin ferociously ...hitting all kinds of spectators causing a domino effect making them barf ...Oh I can see the headlines in the paper...SAR ....causes catastrophic vomiting at parade...no seriuosly it's fast spinning

Rob tell us how that winch works out, I'm liking the idea of one on trailer. Mind you I've another WARN 2k winch sitting around here in shop.

So while test driving it snapped a chain this even..that sucked so I pushed pulled drove it back to shop and tossed a new primary chain on it and found loose transmission mounting bolts. Tightened them all up, check over machine and all good.

Another test drive and wow...sick fast with puffy tyres.

Also had it tached out when I returned to shop, and did a Voltage test on the battery whilst running 14.5 volts while running, cut fuel and it dropped down immediately to 13.+ a wee bit..don't recal but was instant..so I'm charging!

Plugged in charger overnight and it's snowing out so trailer will be slick tomorrow...

All set and ready to play, I'm giving my phone to my pastor to take some vids and pics for me....hope it all turns out ok...

Thanks for reading
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Hey you doing the Santa Parade thing too.. I'm in the ATV club here.. I sadly have to use my Polaris.. No spins.. no barfing.. but I do have 12 volt led Christmas lights.. I used them on the haul truck in the mine.. and I have a Oooggggaa horn too.. And it's supposed to warm up. so should be fun. If you have a Warn Winch then use it.. by all means. they are too good to not use.. Don't forget to post the vid's.

Ya santa parade too....LOL

What a great time I had...right up till I tore the end off an axle and a tyre came off LOL not a big deal I can weld it back on...

Now I did a good solid 15-20 minutes of donuts figure eights and so forth NON STOP FULL THROTTLE. No chains broke no nothing...just a broken axle...this was a real hard core stress test and I'm impressed with the machine overall and cannot fault an axle weld...the axle didn't break in two the weld let go on the end holding the flange on to bolt wheel too...

I think I need to replace some of the chain wheels as I"m still hearing the chain skip so must be a worn sprocket. Hmmm..I'll maybe replace the two center ones or run a idler that makes the chain wrap up more on the sprocket..and I'm thinking that's the issue...only the middle one has less than a full half circumference wrap.

So without further ado...
    Ahh behind the SAR truck...nice

oo just ready for parade....got videos uploading as I write this post too BTW

I lent my phone to a friend to take pictures and video...here is a shot he took LOL

Hmm...got one wheel

LOL front/rear only

Crap I just realized...I need a bearing now..they are super hard to get and $$$$pendy too...Hmm will go see if I can locate it on road for chitzngigglz

Hmm inner portion

So that's where I'm at, shouldn't be to difficult to repair. I'm hoping a few days and Golden....least didn't snap a chain.

It still drove too that's the funny part.

Still waiting on video to load and then maybe you'll understand the torque those axles see and why this happened.

Thanks for reading I'll add the vids soon

E D I T

Here is the video

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by Mike; 12-06-2014 at 10:41 PM. Reason: embedded the video by using the full URL and the filmstrip button
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Ha ha, no wonder you bost it doing all the doughnuts

+ Reply to Thread