Muscateer out for a drive

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Muscateer out for a drive

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    T 20 transmissions react similar on coast and power steer. Maybe you can fit a resistance device against the laterals at the point you engage reverse. Attex used rubber bumpers on the steering linkage to feel the start of brakes. Of course the higher the speed the more important you know when the brakes start to engage. Trying to stop a Attex at any speed over 30 mph is a challenge.
    You know that's a great idea a bump stop so to speak to help know/feel that point. I've really gotten used to it now and I just use a light touch, I allow the sticks to fall to N basically and gently with finger pressure pull back to engage brakes.

I'm considering some type of mechanical or hydraulic brake setup on the two driven jack shafts that are driven from the transmission but drive the axles. A hand lever on each control stick and somehow tie in a park brake ratchet handle as well.

That would allow an optional brake for turning and stopping/slowing down and parking. To me that would be the best with your idea of a bumper as well.

I'll be looking at that idea of a rubber bumper. I just may have some material for that too..not too hard or soft...

If you check out my other videos on youtube you'll see some stuff regarding the transmission how it works etc and driving video...I need to have a partner video this for me while I drive slowly to depict what's going on LOL

There is a thread in transmission section about a Hagen transmission...video IIRC is posted there too and quite a bit of info, there are a couple of machines made with this transmission, some AATV like Newt the Bold and one or two others and a Ridgerunner snowmobile and it is a hell of a neat unit too as far as transmissions go.

Thanks for reading

Al
    Last edited by riotwarrior; 10-31-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Quote Originally Posted by riotwarrior View Post
    Nope custom paint job by yers truly

build thread
    Muscateer 6x6 I've been doddling and working on for years!!

hope that answers you
    ah no crap im on oil burners to! im 73idi88f350 thought your user name looked familiar

Quote Originally Posted by thenewguy View Post
    ah no crap im on oil burners to! im 73idi88f350 thought your user name looked familiar
    Oh that is TOO damn funny that is. Well I suppose you may have perused the build thread then LOL

What type of machine do you have and where are you located?

Took it out for a spin...literally today seeing as it was first snowfall of the year....wow it's a blast in the snow and I cannot wait till there is a bit more and hardpack on the roads...then nuts gallore for sure!

Picked up the 780 Drive clutch Nubs had for sale for parts, waiting on it to arrive at US border for pick up.

That will be getting rebuild and installed onto the Kubota, that leaves a 11" secondary to pick up.

Hope to be able to locate a big ass secondary some time soon.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Haa...Insurance agent was here today, checking place out for the property owner. He took pictures of my Muscateer and is willing to sign off on the insurance form indicating VIN check etc. Woo hoo...looks like I'll be fully insured in near future.

Gotta love just rebuilding a machine and have the ins guy check it out...nice and clean and so forth talk about fortunate!

Al
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

K got the clutch from Nubs here and decided to gamble on some locktite 680 and drilling and pinning the spider!

It turned out ok got 3 set screws to help hold it along with the Green locktite! Good stuff that is. I measured and there was barely 0.005 difference between shaft and spider...that's within tolerance of the locktite so I'm likely golden...

Here is the spider pinned

I just really need it to hold for one good drive...in a parade on Friday evening...for Christmas light up!

I've gotta get it running and have some fun in the parade. I'll be hoping it holds..I'll really inflate the tyres to reduce contact patches to a minimum and hopefully allow some good zero turn donuts LOL

Also redid the engine mount and I'll get some pics of said spacer later as well.

If lucky the 780 driven that was mailed last week will be here soon maybe in time for the parade...if lucky!

Nuff for now.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Got more done today got final assembly of clutch, got it on the engine and all that installed.

New solid mounts to plate are much better that leaves the plate and it's isolators to handle the vibration dampening. I had two sets of vibration dampers the mounts to the engine plate and then the engine on rubber isolators to the plate..didn't work well and engine ones disintegrated.

Now here is where I am

All electrical connected and all fuel lines exhaust and so forth connected, leaves the chains and adjustment and then DONE I should be able to drive it.

Damn throttle/governor lever mounting bolt broke. Now not sure but hoping that I can get it out and replaced...got a nice 90 deg drill that should fit in there tight but ok....

Nuff for now

Al
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Glad to see your up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
    Glad to see your up and running.
    NOT quite yet, hopefully later on today, regardless; thanks...now to get me a new secondary...too close to Christmas for that sort of thing though LOL
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Well I fired it up...no load it engages and runs in as supposed to. I clearly need a longer belt mind you as it won't get into high gear.

Not to worry I'm more interested right now in just getting it back together.

Seems to work OK time will tell.

Adding on some RED and BLUE strobes for the parade, maybe a couple yellow ones to and a green Code five...gotta have fun for kids right? LOL

Now I had all 6 wheels off ground and it works forward back chains tight and clutch working. Seems to be a higher RPM one that what I had previously.

I'll know more later today or tomorrow once I've got it off jack stands and running on flat ground. We will see how she holds out under load

Thanks Nubs! I'll be ordering a new spider and some springs/weights to make adjustments.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Got it all back together, trans sealed, stupid annular piston adjustment screws leaked and I sealed those.

Drove it late last night, gotta get governor back on it asap ROFL. Stalling could have been dirty fuel filter so changed it.

Clutch didn't engage early enough so I had to remove the springs and rollers from my old one.

As you can see there is a difference in the rollers and springs, my old rollers are metal and have a long pin through them as well as much lighter springs.

Old ones on right

The springs that came with the clutch wow..big and the rollers are plastic..no weight to engauge unless spinning hi rpm.

Changed them out..whole different machine.

Still need a better secondary clutch.

Contrary to what I was expecting, I was able to remove clutch with engine in machine

both trans engine missing clutches

one new roller and two springs and two old rollers and four springs in clutch..I did them one at a time

So took it for a quick test drive, I still think I need a longer belt however I've got to accept it as it is.

No sense making changes to the belt until I get another clutch, then I can work out exact length and leave a little margin for error.

I'm hoping I can get the six wheeler into the parade tonight. I've got a couple of flashy lights I will try to get on it first.

Wow. Nice having a machine running again

LOL
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread