Muscateer out for a drive

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Muscateer out for a drive

Got some bleeding done today of transmission controls, still no bump stops.

Also working on a plywood mock up for the engine mount plate for the diesel engine. Hope to have it so I can plan that swap in spring time
    Last edited by riotwarrior; 12-29-2013 at 07:45 PM.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

How bout that,

Checked on bearing cups, I've got no new ones for the axles, so on ebay there where 8 as a set of new cups, BIN price 30 12 bucks to ship, BEST OFFER of 17.50 accepted so under 30 bucks for 8 new cups. This works well, I've got a bad bearing or two in right rear axle, and I've got 3 new bearings, leaving 5 cups for the remaining 5 bearings needing replacement. I'll be getting to those ASAP as well.

Then I'll repack all 12 bearings again pump the damn axle tubes full of grease which is damn near a full tube of grease per axle!!!!

Ya that's a lot of grease in there wow! No going small either gotta fill it full or water gets in and settles and causes all kinds of mayhem.

Did some more measuring today, appears that my current plate for 12hp tecumseh sits high enough so when I make a new plate for Kubota there is oil pan clearance underneath. No need to raise engine yet...however some chain clearance may require a subtle lift of engine that remains to be seen yet and I won't know for certain untill the mock up plate is made for the diesel engine.

Also giving consideration to changing control lever layout from strictly vertical to having horizontal handles like a motor bike however on the end of the levers. This would allow a thumb throttle or snowmobile type throttle instead of foot throttle like I currently have also it would make it easier to do brake levers for brakes as well.

Anyone using a thumb throttle like a quad or snowmobile? Can you tell me PRO's and CON's??

Thanks

Al
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Haven't been doing any wheeling with or work on the Muscateer for a bit, I've been cleaning shop LOL

However I did take my PTO from the Kubota into a my friend Ian's place and he has a nice lathe which he turned down the shaft diameter for me. I took in my clutch from Nubs yesterday and we did the final cut for diameter, and we will do key way later.

I need the PTO to work out engine mount details along with how well if at all the clutches will align.

Well without much ado...here are some of the pics I shot with it sitting on the engine...wow what a change from before eh?

As it was when I got it 1 5/16" shaft and a key way

Now a 1" shaft and no keyway yet! He managed to back cut it too a bit and get the clutch closer to the engine, and provide more shaft for engagement

Here it is with the 780 Commet clutch

This should be really close to what I'm needing I've got exhaust and throttle n such to work out as well but for now, this is where I am.

I'll be mocking up the mounting of engine soon, I've gotta get my shop all cleaned and sorted out first. Need room to work freely not cramped any longer I'm sick of the mess.

Once I've got it back in the shop, and the gasser is removed I'll start the basic mock up for engine mount and proceed forward with it and provide more info.

Thanks for looking

Al
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Not familure with this machine is it partial hyd. with chains, or fully mechanical with belt drive and trans.? Does it have disc. brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by chris davison View Post
    Not familure with this machine is it partial hyd. with chains, or fully mechanical with belt drive and trans.? Does it have disc. brakes?
    Go to first page, 3rd post click link to build, it's all there!
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Yes I see it all. I have a hyd. foot brake that locks up both calipers and brings all 8 tires to a skidding halt perfectly straight. It works great. Maby you can try something similer.

Quote Originally Posted by chris davison View Post
    Yes I see it all. I have a hyd. foot brake that locks up both calipers and brings all 8 tires to a skidding halt perfectly straight. It works great. Maby you can try something similer.
    Have you by chance photos and such of this setup? I could be quite interested in something that works like you describe.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

There are many pics of this brake setup in Custom 8x8 volkswagon with seadoo pump. I basically have two discs on a vw transaxle, a sand rail turning brake and the stock vw gas brake and clutch peddles turning the steering locks up one caliper or the other but pushing the brake pedal locks up both.

Well I decided to see if getting the engine aligned and set a little forward would help me out a bit more.

C to C for engine and trans clutches now sits at MIN 11 5/8" but I can go back from there ....SOME TIMES I ADD THIS INFO SO I DON"T FORGET IT...and it's easy to find instead of a piece of paper...

On to what I was doing, here you see the engine plate modified for better adjustment to align this up better. I'm not too worried about things right now as I've got the Kubota going in hopefully in next few months, this just is temporary to see how or if clutch works better and to get this into a parade in next couple of days.

So after installing engine on plate and playing with adjustment it does line up much better, I'm still needing a different or longer belt and secondary clutch, I'll be posting pics of engine in place after I get the clutches sanded and cleaned. I brought belt in house, degreased and cleaned it something wicked and that should help it a bit.

Now onto axle bearings in R R axle.

For starters, this axle tube without the axle is nearly as large as a tube of grease, this means I need near six tubes of grease to fill all six axles DOH

Here is the main tube all cleaned out...

What the tube looks like bolted on...LOL

Here is the R R tube off the body tub

Looking down at the front two axles with wheels...

side by side, housing and axle

spring loaded teflon wipe that presses against the outter seal of the bearing to assist keeping debris out of seal

This shows how much of the axle sticks through into tub

Here you can see this OLD bearing, the O ring inside, my replacement bearings of same # do not have those, I've got to find 12 of these O ring sealed ones but for now what I got with new races will have to do..

That's about all I have right now, I'll get more as I re-assemble it all and get engine in and belt back on.

Thanks for looking
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Got my turbo the other day wow it's small, I'll be having to do some fab work to get it in with the Kubota but it should be well worth it IMHO.

The decision has been made to try the used 770 clutch I was given, I'll get a new spring for it along with new plastic bushings and a sleeve adapter to enable the 7/8 bore to work on my 3/4 shaft, this will be the least expensive method for me to get a proper torque type secondary clutch, and it's large enough 9.88" to have some low gearing. If it does not offer low enough gearing I'll have to bite the bullet and get an 860 Secondary 11 1/4" diameter.

Looking forward to ordering in some springs and weights too for the kubota's primary clutch, which I'll order when I bring in the spring/bushings for the 770 secondary, may as well get all the parts at one time right?

Well I'll update soon when I get some more pics.

Thanks for reading.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread