Muscateer out for a drive

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Muscateer out for a drive

This morning go out, and start and Brian says scribe the marks for holes..OK I sharpened a nail and bent it 90 deg then marked the holes...thankfully I had painted the plate the day before! Seemed like a simple method instead of marking with paint....

Thus we center punched and then I drilled the first set of holes!

Lines up nice

Next came enlarging the holes so the poly bushings would fit ...first drilled larger.. IF you look close you notice I cleaned up the edges of the plate too and trimmed a bit off the LEFT edge compared to the previous shot!

My drill bits where not large enough so I used the die grinder and enlarged them slowly till the bushing would fit snug in the hole

The step on the bushing holds it in the plate

Ahhh...this is starting to look a lot like it's supposed to, notice the old soft rubber bushings the old plate used.

The old tops from the previous rubber bushings seem to fit...hmmm

Ahh...the lift I have been using to put it in and take it out..repeat as needed rofl

So this is where I'm at and doing lunch, back at it in a while

Should get some new 1/2"x 1 1/2" grade 8 fine thread bolts, and lock nuts and flat washers to bolt engine to plate.

I may make some straps and tack the bolts to straps up from bottom to make it so I only need one wrench to make adjustments ha ha ha...think of service in field right!

Thanks for looking!
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Darn, ran into a snag, I attempted to install my current belt a Dayco HPX 2213 and I found out that my FRONT LEFT plate mount bolt and poly bushing/bolt rub the belt quite badly. Lucky for me I left enough space on the plate and the 1x2 rectangular tubing 3" long for another hole. Thus I had to cut a notch out of the corner and redrill my mounting hole for the engine's plate.

No problem took about 20 minutes for the Redux and it fits nice. I could have lifted engine up off mounting plate with 7/8" thick UHMW plate that's floating around the shop however I felt the notch method was the best!

I gave James a ring and asked about some longer belts he said come on down and check out my belts. So I grabbed three belts to see which seems to be best. His suggestion was the longer the belt the better for cooling, makes sense to me!

Even with the longest belt it appears there is some room on the slots for more adjustment. However I've got to affix the engine to the plate and then the plate to chassis to determine if this is true once bolts are in place.

So plate as it was origninally

NOW as I've notched the one corner

Ahhh....yes, much better I must say!

Overhead view...hmmm...nice

Starting to look like this was designed for it originally eh?

Lots of room to move engine forward

And as you can see here there appears to be some room to move it rearward too.

Thus I've got this about as good as I can now, I ordered all new grade 8 hardware and tri lock nuts to hold the engine plate to chassis and the engine to the plate.

As I mentioned I may just make an angle iron bar under the plate that the bolts pass up through, that will support the engine some and I can weld bolts too so I don't have to use a tool to hold them to make adjustments just loosen the nuts on top side! Ya, probably will make bar as once it's in I don't want to remove it till oil change time.

The plan is a couple of valves installed for draining oil and coolant...oh wait, there is a coolant one already...crap..I just need a hose I can use my vacuum tool to suck out old coolant then, OK just one valve for oil then LOL

Best get back at it, so later

Thanks for looking
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Nice work. I have enjoyed following your build. On your motor mount, I went through similar issues with a cutout needed for my belt. I made a recess for the belt to start with but after it was installed in the machine and started up, I was surprised at how much the belt oscillated when revving the motor. As the RPM changed, the belt caught up with itself and would flex more than I expected. Because of that, I had to pull the engine mount back out and extend the recess for the belt again.

I just wanted to mention that as something to watch when you start up. My belt was much longer than your belt so I'm sure that causes more deflection but your belt is still close to the mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Nice work. I have enjoyed following your build. On your motor mount, I went through similar issues with a cutout needed for my belt. I made a recess for the belt to start with but after it was installed in the machine and started up, I was surprised at how much the belt oscillated when revving the motor. As the RPM changed, the belt caught up with itself and would flex more than I expected. Because of that, I had to pull the engine mount back out and extend the recess for the belt again.

I just wanted to mention that as something to watch when you start up. My belt was much longer than your belt so I'm sure that causes more deflection but your belt is still close to the mount.

Mike thanks!

The floppy belt syndrome when running is a concern and I will contend with it if it's a problem however as you said your unit uses a much longer belt. That oscillation is something to contend with when and if it happens.

As I've mentioned previously in the build I can move the engine up 7/8" thus increasing clearance even further.

Here are the angle iron engine plate mounting bolt setups as I described, ya I decided to build them...

Decided to continue on, of course it was not hard seeing that I had nothing to do except drink beer and do some more silly fab work.

Thus after a few good solid beers...... Howe Sound Brewery's IPA called Devil's Elbow....Ya

We have, here my early evening's going's on.

Yuppers looks wide enough for me

Hmmm...appears to fit as planned..ya ha ..

Ahh...yes, slight chamfer on one edge to fit the angle iron more smoothly

Yuppers fits nice

K so two mounts ready to weld...ah, tomorrow another day for sure!

These once welded up will make belt changes/adjustment so much simpler for sure. Having to only use one tool will be instrumental with making this unit trail serviceable.

Thanks for looking

Al
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Today, picked up for project...

4 Litres of 15/40 diesel oil
    (cough) Fram oil filter ....better than none, will change soon again due to quick run/flush I am doing to get this going
    8' of Tygon fuel line to make return line
    Seadog bilge pump switch...need two of the nice bilge pumps I saw here in another thread...now to find it ROFL.
    Briggs and Stratton engine oil cooler
    Quality Drive systems, weights and springs for primary clutch, lowering it too 1000 - 1100 RPM engagement
    DB Electrical starter motor for Kubota!

So that was my morning, now to get out and continue on with the engine mount and then a few more tid bits, like fuel pump and return lines etc.

Thanks for looking
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Darn, lost quite a bit of time yesterday having to go pick up parts from US, however it's worth it.

I"m up very early for coffee and with in a couple hours I may be able to have the unit under it's own power if lucky, then CAR show...for the kids, they love it and getting pics taken etc.

So here is what happened yesterday, soaked the engine down really well with Super Clean straight, that stuff is awesome for cutting grease. Then I got it out on the engine crane and really washed it down well.

Rolled it back into shop, set it into the wood mock up frame and pushed it out of the way.

Rolled out the tub, removed the drain plugs, soaked it down and steamed out the tub something fierce! Let it drain and then rolled it into shop and wiped out some excess H2O.

Painted engine, mounted the plate, installed engine, installed starter, installed fuel pump. Tested starter turning over engine, wow that baby spins like a MOFO compared to that old hunk of a unit.

I've got two chains to cut to length, thread a bolt down a bit further and cut to length, add fuel, run jumper wires for fuel pump, and starter button and this unit will be under it's own power today.

Tub cleaned up,

Ahh....Khaki goodness

mounting bolt bars..craptastic welds cause of ****ty old rods

Plate all in and tightened in place

Ahh...home stretch coming along...

Not a great deal of clearance and I may swap out that washer...we will see???

Ahh...looking a lot like it's original ...

So after a weee. bit of some quick n dirty stuff I'll have it fired today I hope and running under it's own power.

Thanks for looking

Al
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Coming along nicely. If you only have old welding rods that have been left about in the workshop put them in the oven for a couple of hours before using them. Medium heat for 2 hours should transform them.

I have an old refrigerator with a 40 watt light bulb mounted in it that stays on all the time. Will keep your welding rods hot and dry from now on. you can probably still get incandescent bulbs in Canada. These nitwits down here have banned them. I'll have to find some kind of heat strip when my supply is used up.

Ha ha, they tried to ban them here but everyone ignored it and carried on using them. There was a little lull in supply for a while but now they're back in full supply, probably from China

Thanks guys, and ya but wife don't like me baking paint in oven and when it's 100 out we don't turn that beast on!

Man I worked for a while but got it running, it's leaking from a unit IP in the Bosch K type mini pump, but it does run. Thus I'm sure that I can hopefully find or get seals for the Unit IP's

Totally different machine now compared to gasser, and tons of torque, I'm almost scared something will break LOL

So from a quick running video I'll post after, bolt in seat and drive out of shop onto trailer down to car show, off and into show...I did OK.

At the show

Hmm..parked beside an elephant no less

This...THIS is why I wanted to get it there...the kids love this thing!

Here is an old gas powered Maytag ringer!

Love this Willey's

It was a fantastic day, I met a fellow locally who has an 8x Argo and may have some smaller tyres I can get for use with tracks!

Also at the end when they do the 50/50 draw and all the awards for various categories, I had hoped I would get a win with the Special Interest catagory but same guy as last year won...so no worries, maybe next year.

However I did score at the show, I got this nice tool box as an entrants door prize!

I had a fantastic day, kids crawled all over around and in it. That's what it's about for me seeing them smile and OMG I so want one of these this would be so much fun

Well guys I'm tired, and off to shower...

Thanks for looking!
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread