Muscateer out for a drive

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Muscateer out for a drive

Got O rings and my copper seals coming this weekend, why pay shipping when a friend can bring them up, along with some nice snow shoes to size and see if they fit and I can use them. He picked up some Amber strobes for me too.

That being said should be a great BBQ at his place I'm stoked! May have to prep a filet mignon for dinner ROFL

Hope to heck this cures it.

Need to get this wrapped up asap so I can get the thing out and have some fun with it! I'm tired of puttering around the orchard, for fear that it will crap out and leave me stranded.

I need to get this up to Barcelo Falls and into some mud and and and..time to enjoy it for what it is. An AATV and usable machine for SAR.

Went out walked dog and decided to do some minor work. Thus I degreased and then steam cleaned the air filter housing, and surface prepped the bracket support and painted it.

Here this is where the Air filter housing will mount, leaving me access to install a clean fresh filter.

I'm thinking that a couple of support brackets and then I can drop the elbow of the muffler down the old tale pipe hole and run a tube up to the muffler quite easily. I'd have to cut the tail pipe and turn it 90 degrees as well.

Got a couple of noisy bearings to replace here

Fuel pump is mounted up nicely and working well, still have some wiring to do, but that's part of the finishing of this machine!

This is the AGM battery, and as you can see it fits under the support bar for the controls, I'd have to make a bracket to hold it in place but I think I can handle that

Hope this works here

I'm thinking under that bar or up under the very front by winch plate mount under fuel tank for battery mounting location. This here under this bar provides shortest leads to starter which is good, easiest to get too, as well. I'll have to sit on passengers side and see if it is not in the way and

Well thanks for reading

Al
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Took apart the old dashboard for the Kubota engine today, I've got the GLOW PLUG indicator, keyed ign switch, and VR along with two warning lights, electrical and oil pressure. Now I looked at what gauges I've got

Hours
    Voltage
    Amperage
    Oil pressure
    Boost
    Pyro

I would like to add to that.

Oil temp engine
    Oil temp transmission

I did a google search for digital ATV gauges and came across this site
    Trail Tech || Trail Tech Digital Gauges

And this page
    Trail Tech || Computer Comparison

I like the Voyager unit, which allows me to delete my Volts and Hours gauge add in a temp sensor for oil OR coolant, so I'd choose oil, as it's most critical!

Seems like not a bad unit for the price at all and comes complete. I like that it can do GPS tracks and so forth, that's going to be neat if I do end up getting one. I'll see what parts they have that will work with what I have and it should be a nice addition to this machine.

One can still add trans temp analogue with another gauge or two if needed. This would simplify my setup some IMHO.

On another note, Brian and I sat in the machine and we agree the battery under the bar is not in the way, the throttle needs to move forward and I would still like to add on a brake!

Mounted my air filter assembly and also played with how I may mount exhaust outside of tub, maybe down over the edge where the SAR plate is....and instead of a hole in the tub on top in can go in on the vertical, but I"m hesitant to cut a hole there; I still would prefer the current hole to be used.

The muffler resting on top of tub is 1/2" taller than the rad caps so clearance isn't a big deal at all.

This is what I'm referring to..either on top like this...or same orientation, just down where the SAR plate sits and entering into the angled rear section

Sorry for blurry image, but ya, 1/2" clearance lower to rad caps

Looks like it may work in this location, the inlet turns freely the outlet I would have to cut, re-weld and orient down which isn't too big a deal

A bit more 1" x 1/8" metal and I can make another bracket similar to this one and build dual brackets to hold the exhausts muffler in place...some new springs to retain it too the bracket and it's golden IMHO

Got busy, mounting air filter...

Still need new filter element..

Yuppers clearance to install filter

Ahh

Thus this is coming along, nicely and working out quite nice. A small rad hose, from air filter to engine intake and I've got a nicely isolated air filter setup.

I am quite anxious to get my O rings and copper washers for the IP this weekend. It's a pleasure to work on this and know it's going to work very well once done!

As always thanks for looking

Al
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Removed the engine today, then the mounting plate, and subsequently sprayed it down with Super Clean in the purple bottle, sprayed chains and tub and engine/trans mounting plate and then steam cleaned it all out.

I think I'll do it once more, then carefully remove fuel tank to install fuel line.

Also I need to tend to the new O rings and copper gaskets I picked up from my friend Jordy who had brought them up for me.

Should have IP O rings and gaskets in tomorrow and I can test fire it on the little wooden platform I have made for the engine.

Going to do some minor trimming of some plate on engine mount frame, and also see if I can weld in the NUTS that the plate bolts go into. It would again make it a single tool to mount the plate instead of three, two wrenches and a screw driver to hold the nuts. I"m going to attemp to drill holes and weld through small holes..Who knows right? I WILL figure something out and make it work well.

Also when I install engine I"m mounting it on 7/8" thick butcher block this time to lift it a bit more for and increase in belt clearance to mounting brackets/plate.

These subtle but worthwhile changes will make service and alignment even better yet.

Well I'll get some pictures up once I"ve got this thing leak free!

Thanks for reading
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Replaced the two rubber O rings in the IP along with two copper washers, torqued the assemblies to 22 Lbs Ft and test fired it. NOT A LEAK what so ever and machine seems to have a slightly different sound and smoother rev capability in the RPM range I ran it at.

I inspected the copper washers after removal and one was quite worn and looked like it was dented or chipped. The old O rings had become like plastic and where brittle and broke when I removed them with the pick.

While test firing I also held my old muffler up to the exhaust and it was remarkably quiet compared to no exhaust so I'll be building the flange and a stub pipe to attach the flex pipe up to and also fab up one more bracket for the muffler on the rear of the machine. I'm still not 100% on setting it on top of the rear as situating it on the slope where my SAR plate currently is situated. All in due time.

I've gone and remove the Yamaha golf cart brake and throttle pedal and low and behold it's not a good fit. Damn had hoped it would work ok. Hmm..gotta put it back now.

Well time for lunch for me

Back at this again in while

Thanks for looking
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Time for lunch ? It's a quarter past eight at night

Between illness for two days, SAR, and having to deal with tractor breakdowns, I've been too busy to get much done.

Today I was supposed to work on the tractor but the battery terminal ends went for ****e, thus, I had to deal with that. I've also got a huge report to deal with for SAR due end of month.

Well I was waiting for the pickers to bring tractor up for a tyre swap I cut out an exhaust flange with the plasma cutter from 3/8" plate. It surprised me to no end to cut through the 3/8" plate with ease the little machine is awesome.

So I started grinding and so forth and the end result is looking pretty darn good. I've got some touch up and a little bit of refinement to do before I weld on the stub tube for my exhaust.

Thus here is today's work.

should have done some more right after the cut but eh...no time ROFL

Good fit too

That's bout it, stupid ebay seller sent me 4 x 1 1/4" exhaust U clamps, not 3' of 1" flex tubing, they are sending me my tubing and said keep the clamps, so they got stuck in stock for what ever I need em for.

Once the flex tube is in I will work on creating two nipples, one for into the muffler and one for the flange I just made and run the flexy sexy tubing in between LOL

Thanks for looking
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Nice work !!!

Quote Originally Posted by wedge View Post
    Nice work !!!
    Thank you...

Stupid machine takes too much time and effort...end result...fun so worth it getting it right to start with!
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Heck of a job on quite the project. Two thumbs up!

I used to hunt out of Keremeos in the fall with my wife's grandfather. His side of the family has lived there for years. Beautiful part of the province.

Quote Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
    Heck of a job on quite the project. Two thumbs up!

I used to hunt out of Keremeos in the fall with my wife's grandfather. His side of the family has lived there for years. Beautiful part of the province.
    Thank you I appreciate the compliment.

Who would that be in regards to the Grandfather...PM me if you would like privacy....

Today got a small section of Sched 40 welded onto the flange and then straightened up and filed flat the flange after welding it on.

Also took out MR plasma again and knocked off the corner of the mount I had left on the frame of engine/trans mount.

So here is what I got my self doing today besides more SAR ****e.

Aahhh....filed nice and flat for a great seal

The small Sched 40 tube for a stub to weld the flex too....

Looks like a match...fits well from my view

For chitzngigglz I thought would be good show the golf cart pedals...kinda HUGE for this

Ya may not show...but I got a really large hand for comparison

Here I have the frame I'm cutting off, the forward bolt hole

ahhh....relief at last ROFL

This TRI lock nut is what I use inside this support and I'm thinking of welding it somehow in place to eliminate the need for a tool to hold it while installing the bolt or removing the bolt

same for this spot and it's much narrower so a wrench wont fit

Here I've got it held in place with a finger...no room for a wrench...took JAMMING a screw driver in to hold the nut...ineffective to say the least

The spot I removed the small angular portion from on the main frame as the engine plate sits on it now

I'm considering lifting engine up 7/8" with this UHMW plate...looks like a good idea to me...for belt clearance and also being able to tighten engine mounting nuts

Here you can see how wide it is compared to above where I show thickness and this is at it would sit on this plate...

Clearly I've some more FINE tuning to do for clutching and engine placement along with the exhaust etc. There still remains the issue cable/shaft throttle and how to make it work.

I've got quite a bit of work ahead of me but nothing that is insurmountable for sure. I'm guessing relocate throttle and use shaft system I had with gasser for NOW, it is evident that the Golf cart setup wont work, so lets step back and re-evaluate what I had and if needed rework that.

I will show what I do of course, when I know what I'm going to do

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by riotwarrior; 08-23-2014 at 12:43 PM.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread