Muscateer out for a drive

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Muscateer out for a drive

Quote Originally Posted by riotwarrior View Post
    Thank you I appreciate the compliment.

Who would that be in regards to the Grandfather...PM me if you would like privacy....
    My wife's grandfather was Leo Schneider. A lot of his family still lives in and around Keremeos.

Quote Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
    My wife's grandfather was Leo Schneider. A lot of his family still lives in and around Keremeos.
    Not sure I know him, maybe to see him.

Do you still get out this way? If so drop by!

I see the previous post didn't have pics so I re-did it with correct links to pics. Much better now.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Just a silly update; while I've been CLEANING the SHOP....again....some more..... found the decal I was after for some time from my supplier and decided to make my machine whole again...so

Before, I always felt that though the mount turned out great, it really messed up the look of the front with a blank spot

After, I like this much better now, it feels complete...ya right!

Just hate things when they don't look correct so now I"m pleased to knock that off the list finally.

Two holes on LEFT of decal are for the main power leads to the winch I'm going to run. I've got some good 4Ga wire and I'll seal it up with some silicone when I pass them through from outside and inside! They will go to the control solenoids inside and then to the battery.

Thanks for looking
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Found the copper gaskets ...as they are called by Kubota and the two O rings, these are the two parts I just replaced to stop the leak.

On the one lower copper you can see a significant deformity that I feel was the cause of the leak, the old rubber O rings are brittle and hard and broke when I attempted to remove them with O ring pick LOL

Indicating that boogered spot

Close up of the buggered copper, clearly based on the different impressions it's been tightened and re-tightened a few times, and thus I think that is what caused the crack I circled and subsequent leak I was experiencing. This would also degrade performance as it puked fuel out the leak and it should be going to injector!

Not much done lately just found these while cleaning up and figured should at least show WTF was wrong.

Thanks for looking
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Got coolant drained and new coolant ready to install in engine,

Welded the Tri-Lok nuts in place for mounting engine plate instead of having to use a wrench on two and screw driver to jam beside the other two...Thanks to John Deere Brian for use of his mig...

Now engine plate installs with ONE wrench, so simple.

Re-did the 1/2" bolts and angle iron to a longer bolt for the one wrench engine mount too as I added 7/8" thick UHMW between engine mount plate and engine to lift it for more belt clearance.

Also doing battery mount under cross bar for control levers.

Attempting to locate two 7 x 1.0 x 30mm long bolts for exhaust...UGH..may try see if drill fits in there and drill em out and use bolts and nuts...stupid me forgot to check before installing engine and IT IS NOT COMING BACK OUT!

So that leaves throttle which may just be short term rigged with a cable for now...from a golf cart ahem....for temporary use ...till I can work out a mechanical linkage. Cables get water in em and freeze, mechanical linkages are simple reliable and preferred by me!

Nuff for now, oh..got new fan belt too LOL

I'll try and get some pics soon.

Thanks for looking
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

OK I did take some pics some blurry damn broken phone...

Ahh...started today by steam cleaning the inside AGAIN

Primary clutch now has new heavier weights and new springs so that's all set for DIESEL operation woo hoo!!!!!
    New weights and springs on right....old ones on left

New and old stuff...new ones considerably more weighty..

Got battery mounted and secured, main battery cables run and connected.

Got the engine on the UHMW plate spacers...woo hoo

New Diesel coolant and De-ionized water mixed and installed in place of old stuff.

Exhaust pipe is built, and muffler mounting brackets fabricated, painted, installed, and muffler installed. Looks ok for a quick hack job

No throttle pedal, however I did install a locking throttle cable like for revving a truck up for winching etc. It works and gives me full throttle control so it's better than a static wire I clip on and off

Only have to wire in some basic stuff tomorrow GP, and Ign switch, fuel pump switch and lights and horn and it's done for now and then I will be firing it up.

Hope Colin my son brings the two bolts I need for exhaust, that will be just fantastic.

Machine should rock now with clutch tuned and engine making full power and running properly

Thanks for reading...I'm getting excited for the camping trip this weekend!
    Last edited by riotwarrior; 09-11-2014 at 11:21 PM.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

I notice there are two radiators. Sorry, haven't read whole thread, so don't know if you mentioned about it. I'm likely gonna end up with two as well, just curious about where you got those. I've been eyeing up the ones at Brighton Racing Products. They're pretty inexpensive. Just gotta wait until they have the ones I want in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy_Magnum View Post
    I notice there are two radiators. Sorry, haven't read whole thread, so don't know if you mentioned about it. I'm likely gonna end up with two as well, just curious about where you got those. I've been eyeing up the ones at Brighton Racing Products. They're pretty inexpensive. Just gotta wait until they have the ones I want in stock.
    This engine is quite an interesting lil beast. It was used in Trans-Cold or Carrier refer units amongst other things, pumps and pressure washers and gen sets.

The rad you see is one singular rad, with two caps, why you ask...I have no clue, there is no separation between sides. The replacement rads have one cap??????? Doh???

The engine has a horizontal piston arrangement vs vertical and that rad sets right on top of the block. There is no water pump or any thermostat, it is a gravity style cooling system so I"m hoping it's adequate for my needs. I have a small Briggs oil cooler to add on later but I want to make a rear cover for the machine with ducting for rad/fan.

Hope that helps Rudy!

Thanks for looking
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Ah, so a system kind of like my old John Deere 2 cylinders. They called it "thermo siphon". Works on principals of convection. Popped the rad cap off the D once to have a look, you'd be surprised how fast that coolant was moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy_Magnum View Post
    Ah, so a system kind of like my old John Deere 2 cylinders. They called it "thermo siphon". Works on principals of convection. Popped the rad cap off the D once to have a look, you'd be surprised how fast that coolant was moving.
    Ya it's like those old setups and yes thermo siphon is a good way to describe it.

This weekend the machine performed quite admirably, it wasn't driven far or much and unfortunately my wife didn't video it

We did take the dog out on the lead and she would run in front of it...no worries 25 foot lead! so she was well out front.

Lots of fun at the campout, I broke the T handle throttle, and had to VICE grip throttle it. That will be fixed ASAP

The Primary clutch works very well redone with new weights and such.

Machine sounds good, starts nice at 5celcius just Glow plug for a bit then turn it over...fires quick now.

So things to do

throttle/s, vent for transmission!!!!!!, electrical, winch wiring aka more electrical, return line for fuel system from injectors to fuel tank, trans cooler and pump setup, engine oil cooler, engine cover and some cargo racks front and rear.

Stay tuned for more pics and vids

Thanks for looking!
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread