Muscateer out for a drive

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Muscateer out for a drive

Spent last three days doing a Wilderness First Aid course, to go with my WCB L III I have already. Was a blast and learned a bunch.

Dropped my PTO off on Friday AM and by just after lunch it had the key way cut, not as I had planned but for now it will do. I may see if the fellow can weld on MORE shaft and cut a longer keyway for me, as that would be best IMHO.

Got some smaller steel, same size as old mounts for transmission so that will be simpler to build now.

I've got to get some help lifting that engine into my six wheeler I just can't do it on my own. 135++ lbs is not something I'ma gonna lifta up and over the edge of tub and then lower INTO tub, heck 110 lb Tecumseh is a struggle to get out on my own!

May have to break out the engine crane I suppose DOH....

Well this week I'm all over this pig for sure thanks for looking...
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Here you can see what I'm talking about.

The PTO output shaft bolts to crank on engine, and is HUB centric, this ensures it runs true.

You can see me pointing out the PTO/Crank assembly, the three retaining bolts and hub centric location

Here the keyway on the PTO is clearly cut, however I wanted it to go off the end, he could not cut closer to the face of assembly, which I understand.

Here the clutch on Left would slide onto PTO shaft with keyway and be held in place with a bolt.

That's what I'm talking about just to clear up any missunderstandings.

That clutch in turn just like a regular ATV/UTV/Snowmobile drives a diven clutch on the large finned transmission. That transmission needs to be lifted near 2 1/2" up so I can install a larger diameter secondary and get the correct backshift under load as well as lower gearing.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

OK this has got me all excited now and I'm just stoked how well this thing fits and lines up.

I made this lil plywood plate to make the trial fit simple. This should be quite helpful to make things fit well.

getting closer, L O L I removed the air filter assembly as well as the starter to lighten it up for manual insertion

From pallet to engine bay...

Clutches line up, sorta and I'll get it bang on once I've got the transmission mounts rebuilt. Trans is sitting in the right location but for old small clutch L-R positioning is almost perfect...just needs to lift 2-3"

Clearance for oil dipstick and filler along with filter, and it's not as close to chains as I had originally anticipated

lots of room behind seats for trans to come up, and starter

Here it's as it is now, however it may drop an inch or two even...once I know more on trans mounts

Tomorrow I'm on the trans mount brackets to get that set and I can begin working on the engine after that. I had to test prior to any redo of trans mounts to make sure it would work OK with it the way it is planned and it's going to work really well.

I'm quite excited about this and this is coming together really nicely. At this point that rad is about 5" above the edges of tub. however that may change if I can drop it down some, that would also lower center of gravity a bit.

Thanks for looking

Al
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Not sure on the exact model this is but the horizontal engine with gravity fed rad is same basic design as the engine going into my six wheeler...on OB where I've got THE build thread they posted this in it's own thread....so without saying anything more...

Kubota FARM TRACTOR owned PICKUP TRUCK in Drag Racing !!! - YouTube

Now I've got a turbo to add as well

LOL
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Dayum...

New starter, primary springs and weights, and a Briggs engine oil cooler ordered and shipped, all three should be arriving in Oroville WA this next week I hope.

Should make for a good time I am thinking.

Properly starting, adding oil cooler to the water coooled engine should be great and having the primary clutch setup correctly.

Back at it again today, now that I've cleared out 100 + gallons of WVO and for that got 10 gallons of 100% bio-diesel. Good swap for me I need the space the 100 gallons took up in 3.5 gallon containers.

Once I've got the trans mounts completed I'll get some pics up.

Thanks for looking
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Ha, lunch break,

Here we have what I've got going on with trans mounts. As I had mentioned I welded the two pairs of upright portions together to drill them in the exact same spot, then I cut those apart and bolted them to the trans and set it in place checking, rechecking and rechecking chain alignment the whole time, as well I did test SECONDARY clutch clearance and wow...I'm golden as well as seat clearance...getting tight...means that's going to be warm; after all that I then tacked them in place.

beside old parts cut off, ya just a tad longer eh rofl

rear bars bolted to trans..

Front bars and rear bars in place...trans sitting there nicely

Getting close

Clutch is on and just sitting there for clearance testing...looks amazingly good with the amount I've created

Yup lots of clearance there

So that's today I've welded them up and they are cooling then a clean up with a grinder and some paint. Then I can Start working on the engine plate.

After some more measuring I've discovered I can actually lower the engine 1 1/2" down and still have clearance under it over the RH rear chain to rear axle. This is good news as it equates to a lower C of G.

As always thanks for looking
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Here we are and have my plate for engine kinda sorta figured out. The main thing I'm concerned with is alignment of clutches LEFT to RIGHT and with no angle or deflection from one to the other. I've had a significant issue previously with the trans and engine clutches not in correct alignment. NOT THIS TIME....I didn't build the last setup, just assembled it to a working functioning unit.

Here is where abouts it should be...close..

two cuts for oil pan hole and two to go, man I live having a plasma cutter it sure makes it easy to do this type of work

Hole cut and engine sitting on it out on the pallet

A lil bit of clearance forward and aft

Marking for a hole and slot assembly

Looks like that hole is cut right for alignment of clutch...I made a bit of room to slide side to side and get this set correctly

in place

different angle

This is my MASTER KEY....it's got my alignemnt specs I need to follow to have clutches function as intended

Taking a straight shot from SECONDARY clutch to the engine plate and create a line to align from/tp

So I've made some good progress today as can be seen. I've picked up some small shock or sway bar end links in red polyeurathane to act as dampners for engine vibration, and I hope that they work well for me.

I'll mount the plate up soon once I establish clearances and alignment..

Theme here....alignment and room to move to make things aligned!

Thanks for looking
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Nice fabrication and ideas, its nice to have a plasma cutter I do a little fabrication myself.

Quote Originally Posted by chris davison View Post
    Nice fabrication and ideas, its nice to have a plasma cutter I do a little fabrication myself.
    Thank you!
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

My goodness I just MAY make car show sort of if this keeps up! Most likely would not have an exhaust ROFL no time to fab one but eh...on trailer off trailer twice...ya I can handle that without exhaust!

SO yesterday was not much work due to a short hike trip to the falls, and then lunch and back home with Pastor Jason, which is OK cause we planned hike for long time and never managed to getterdun...so we did!

Came home got some stuff done on six wheeler, test fit plate on engine and installed..hmm...needs more work, ok tomorrow.

Also had to fab up a 3/16" spacer for the secondary clutch, as it's designed for a 0.98" wide belt vs the 1.18" I use.

Gotta love a plasma cutter, I first drilled a 1" hole then psuedo centered the hub and ground it out to fit then cut it out of the plate shown here

Hmm..epoxy it in place and it's set for now!

Plates first fit

1"x2" rectangular tubing I"m pointing to here are the spacers I'll weld in place soon

Pre drilled holes for plate, I can take cotton soaked in paint and press it up against hole to mark plate when it's finally located

Poly bushings for NVH noise vibration harshness, to isolate the plate and engine a bit

Crap...had to redux the RIGHT side mounts ...no worries just mount to outside and vertical at 1" high, so here is how it is

Close ups

Thanks to Rose who drove to Kvillage and picked up 4 1/2" x 1" bolts, I'll get some grade 8 fine threads later but this is all about FITTING so these will suffice.

Plate is painted and fits nice to bottom of the engine eh?

Once I dropped the engine down in place I had to center it properly aligning the two clutches...there is supposed to be 0.240" offset from inside lip of secondary to inside lip of primary, as you can see by this image of my guide.

So I have the plate on the welded in rectangular tubing, and I can move it around a bit quite easy. I've got to align the clutches as indicated above. So I took some square tubing and clamped it to my primary inside edge, then kept moving engine a weeee bit at a time until I had the alignment I needed on both the forward and rear edge of secondary!

Old belt for testing fit...

As you can see it's right on the mark. I managed to get the clearances to 0.241" front and rear of my secondary with this setup.

This alignment was of great concern and a lot of work however in the end I'm thinking this will pay off with better clutch response and belt life as well as cooler running clutches and belt.

Tomorrow I'll take some YELLOW paint and spray cotton balls and then stuff them in the rectangular tubing and press up to the hold I drilled to mark the plates four mounting holes.

Those holes then get drilled to about 7/8" and I can sandwich the poly bushings between the rectangular tubing and plate and then on top side of plate giving me some cushion and vibration isolation for the engine.

That leaves some electrical, and some fuel lines...woo hoo...Oh ya, started to make power cables for the front winch too that will clean up the front end!

Thanks for looking!
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread