Coot Tire Options

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coot Tire Options

Coot Tire Options

I thought I would post some pictures of my Coot with the two different tires I use on it. The Ags for work and narrow trails, and the Baloneys for floatation and maximum traction. The steering effort between different tire combos, and the turning radius differences are not to be understated. The Ags turn much tighter and with far less steering effort. The absolute worst were some Jeep YJ take offs, the tread area was far too flat with maximum surface contact. The kid needs a rounded tire surface to steer more easily. The Ags are 14" ATV tires mounted on 65 Ford Mustang rims, and the Baloneys are 15" mounted on the original Coot rims turned inside out. They work great.
    Attached Images

Very clean looking Coot. What size are your Baloneys/Xtra-Trac looking tires? What tire pressures are you running in each, and last but not least how would you compare the ride and traction to the original Pennsylvania Mud and Snow non directional tires.

Thanks, Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

I don't know about his machine, but my Coot runs on Titan Tru tracs in 29x12.5x15. There is a lot of effort to steer the bigger tires over the narrow ones. I've also got a set of Super Terras in the 29x12x15. I have a set of 29X10X15 off my skid steer which also work and steer well, but they are high pressure/bone jarring tires.

The Titan run at 10 psi which is a firm ride. The optional tires were Super Terras in 31x15.5x15. I couldn't imagine the effort with the extra large tires. I've seen one Coot so equipped and it couldn't be run with fenders due to clearance issues.

I am working on getting some adapters made to fit a more standard 26x12x12 wheel and tire off my stock pile from the six wheelers. I'll loose some ground clearance for sure, but the smaller 12" wheel opens up a lot of options for tires.

Hey Noel. I'm trying to put together the information on factory tires and options myself for my Coot. I think the optional Terra Grip tires were 27" diameter. I got one with my parts Coot on an 8" coot rim with the chain hooks. The optional 31x15.5-15 tires were Goodyear Extra-Trac tires I think. I see a lot of the Xtra-Trac tired Coots in Alaska. The Pennsylvania Mud and Snow tires were the non directional military looking stock tire along with the truck snow tire looking tire. You can see both these tires in the old Popular Mechanics article from Feb of 1970 Popular Mechanics - Google Books

Matt is picking up his Coot2 this weekend. It has a modern mud tire on it I believe. If you are going to try some different tires I was thinking of 30x10.5-12 AquaTorques. Turning might suck but what a mud tire! Might be cool on an old Coot and swim? What do you think?

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

I through out the original Goodyear Suburban polyglas snow tires ands tried the Jeep take offs. The Jeep tires were horrible to steer. The baloneys are the original Goodyear super terra 31x15.5x15 tires. I have them mounted on the original 15x8 Coot rims with the traction bar lugs welded on. These tires are aired up because the bead will leak if I let the pressure down. 8" rims for these tires are not so hot. Someday I will look for the proper offset 12-15 inch wheels. The tractor tires steer great and they are aired up as well. Terras are at 35 psi and the Ags are around 20 psi. The ride on both is pretty harsh, but at the speeds I am going it does not matter. With the Terras on it, the Coot pretty much goes anywhere you want it to, except between two trees less that are 6 or so feet apart. I will post some videos soon.

Don't mean to revive old thread, but figured might be better than making a new one. I was thinking about running true 32" tall tires How much clearance does one have to spare when running 31" tall tires? Unless the 31" tall tires aren't true 31" tall. Anyone got a tape measure handy?

Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread