Hydro Traxx

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hydro Traxx

Hydro Traxx

Good Evening all have recently purchased a older Hydro Traxx it has the 6 wheels but only has drive motors on the 4 corners.I will be using it mostly on Vancouver Island to haul equipment to my gold claims,as it is mostly rock there would i be better of running Tracks or just good Tires? Having a real hard time finding a rim for a spare tire in Canada,its a 8x10 with a 100 spacing ,4 bolt using 1/2 in car lug nuts. Also the previous owner install a thicker a axle on the front corner, i would like to change that back to one that matches the other three.i think it just presses on a key slot on the hydraulic motor. Is there a place to buy these short axles or would i just get one fabricated? Thank You Steve

I would start first with a good set of tires. It must be one of the first Hydro Traxxs built, later versions had 6 drive motors. 4 motors should be more than adequate for most applications.

In terms of wheels, Douglas makes an aluminum wheel in 8x10 100mm spacing, with 4 bolts. The 4 bolt 100mm wheel is fairly common actually. The other option would be to switch to 8x9 or a 12 inch wheel, but the large wheel may negate tracks if you add them later.

In terms of the axle issue, forum member Whipper could fab up an axle for you, he owns a machine shop out in Arizona. Its not unusual however for AATVs to have mix and match axles, I'd soldier on with what you have.

Good Evening Noel is Douglas a name of a company in Canada or US? If i changed to a 8x12 would i have more options for tire brands The trouble with the thicker hub the wheel sticks out further than the other two. thanks for your help Steve

Hello Steve:

Yes, Douglas is an American company. I know that several dealers sell to Canada. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/992/Douglas-Wheels, is one link.

I do believe a 12" wheel gets you more options, however it probably will not work with tracks because of wheel well clearance. I have a set of 8x8 4 bolt on 100mm that I have for a machine I'm building. They are aluminum wheels, high grade but the cost was low at $40 or so U.S. $. Something like that might work for you as well. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread