Terra tiger help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Terra tiger help

Terra tiger help

Just picked up my first 6x6. Its a complete Terra tiger minus the engine.

The previous owner had a 13hp horizontal shaft on it. I think I'll pick up a harbor freight predator 13hp for it and run that.

Curious what my clutch options are. It still has the belt and the driven and a spare belt. Everything looks to be in decent shape but needs new cables and tires.

Just curious about this but did the Terra tigers use normal axle hubs? The wheels I have slide on to the axles and there is a hole that goes through the axle and the wheel sleeve and a bolt run through them???
    To me didn't seem like that was correct but looks well done or factory??

Any way I'll post pics tomorrow once I get all the leaves out of it lol.

Thanks guys.

welcome and good luck with the machine, hope to see pics soon.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

You will have to be careful about the clutch, and find one set up for the same width belt as your secondary. I think the stock belt was only 7/8" wide. You will have to call and ask, but this is what i think you will need Comet 40/44 Series Torque Converter System (Symmetrical) for Go Karts & Mini Bikes | Go Kart & Mini Bike Parts | MFG Supply

The honda clone motors are your best choice. Cheap and reliable. The 16hp duromax used to sell cheaper on ebay (approx $300) than the Harbor freight ones. Most have a crappy carb, and run way too lean, but it is easy to drill or replace the jet.

I can't answer about the hubs, but The TT axles were pretty small and weak for as heavy as that thing is.....add in the fact that it has no reverse and you start to understand why the previous owner didn't want to invest in the new engine. If you looked around you may be able to find a cheap 2 stroke just to get it running again. Stock they were 10 or 18 hp, and the steering clutches had enough issues with the 18....so keep it small.

I'll have to go measure the belt. I reached out to richard at Richards relics and apparently the stock clutch was a 500 series comet using a larger .920 belt.....which figures since the drive clutch costs about 260 bucks?!?!?!?!!!!

Once I can figure out what I need I'll have to add up the clsrs and see if its worth it. With that clutch I'd have 600 bucks just in the engine and clutch alone.

$600 is approx what I sold this one for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpz3Xc1M5vQ

But it did need the cone clutches relined.

Tires are another major expense. There are other good trail machines out there (with reverse) in the $2-3k range.

Orginal axles had 3 bolt hubs welded on ends of them and an inner ring to support inner hub of wheel and used tires like all other ATV's at that time. So someone has changed them. We use a 5 bolt hub to 3 bolt conversion on ours with steel rims and Chevron tires. Any of these old machines require $$$$ to fix up and new wheels and tires are expensive. 13 or 16 hp engine is good fit for it. Orginal drive belt was 44 7/8'' X 1 3/16" part #s MAX 1039, HP3003, NAPA Gates 6314

My 3 words,(Dont do it). You are going to put to much money into a marginal machine.I have seen numerous times someone gets a cheap or free machine,then actually spends money on it to get it running.All you end up with is a AATV that is good for maybe a trip around the yard,the performance and reliability will not be there.In the end you will sell it for 1/2 of what you have in it,years later you will tell everyone you had one of those and it was a piece of junk and needed work all the time.There are alot better machines out there,I just hate to see someone trying to get in the hobby suffer with a bad choice.In the end a Terra Tiger even fixed up isnt a keeper machine. JM2cents. Eddie

Lastly,look at the 6x6 World boards.People will brag on their Max 2 and 4's,Argo's,Hustlers,Attex,MuddOx's etc. but I dont see anyone talking up a Terra Tiger.I have owned alot of older machines and know what the drawbacks are.Sorry for the rant ,but everytime I see someone fixing up somthing such as this,and proceeds with it I see a bunch of questions at first and then nothing is ever heard out of them again.

Good information guys and I appreciate it.
    The terra tiger was just the 6x6 that I thought looked the best. My father has decided to take it on as his project and we will probably have around a grand in it. I know it wont be worth that but resale isn't the point anyways.

My father really wants it to have a cool conversation peace that functions. It will be rode around the yard and into a pond on the property occasionally.

We are already anticipating getting the refurbed steering clutches from Richards relics.

The weird thing about those axles is that I see them on Richards relics site in a pile of other new axles so they must have been on some sort of 6x6 at some point. If you go to his site and look under parts>chassis> axles they are pictured.

+ Reply to Thread