1971 KID 8x8 Build -- Newbie

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 1971 KID 8x8 Build -- Newbie

Update to the KID. Engine and powertrain installed and triple chain hooked up. Body is repaired and should be water tight. I went with flat camouflage tan for the body color. The black areas is rustoleum truck bed spray liner, added a good rough texture and scratch proof. I found a 6ft wide snow plow. I cut a receiver hitch out of wrecked ford expedition that I will use for the front mounting. I have to make a new support bracket for the front. Plan to use a 12v winch to lift the plow. With the receiver hitch I will make a removable mount for the winch to move from the front to rear if needed. Getting closer to driving this beast!

image1.jpg
    image2.jpg
    image3.jpg
    image4.jpg

another update to the build. front snow plow mount is built, need to put on the mounting tabs to mount the plow still. Body is on and bolted in place. electrical hooked up. oil is in. working on getting a new steer cable then should be ready to fire it up.

IMG_2627.jpg
    IMG_2628.jpg
    IMG_2692.jpg
    IMG_2693.jpg
    IMG_2698.jpg

I'm enjoying the pictures. It is looking good. I know you have to be getting more and more anxious to fire it up as you get closer and closer.

looking good liking the colour too
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

I have not been on the site for the better part of a year and seem to have been missing out. The rebuild looks awesome! I've made little progress on the KID this year but am restarting to work the project. I'm replacing the last two 60H drive chains, and am ready to pull off one of the hydrostatic drive for some repair. Starting to add some LED flood lights both front and back for plowing, then on to body repairs, mostly some rot in the pan.

I'd be curious if any KID owner out there has changed the push-pull cables for the steering mechanism, and if so if you have any advise on where to go. I have a few leads from just googling around, but always willing to accept lessons learned from others.....

Well I can say the kid is 99% built. Got the seat built, floor pan in, lights hooked up, and drove it around. It was a good feeling. The kid performed as I expected for a 30hp engine. Had to do some adjusting on the governor but runs pretty good and pretty happy with it. Was really hoping to drive it in a pond this weekend but had some bad weather. I will upload the video to YouTube when I do and share the link, that will be real test. I haven't decided if I will add the snow plow or not. Also thought about a light bar. Overall, it was a fun build and probably will never see another one of these kids in my lifetime. I am glad I took on the project. I will probably enjoy the kid for a couple more weeks then list it for sale as not sure I have much need for it.
    Attached Images

I bought my steer cables at truck parts, as close of a match I could find. Part #6203BBU072

amazing job and a beautiful rebuild !! after all that work seems like it would be hard for you to part with it. thanks for sharing. johnboy va.

I agree with John - the KID looks awesome, a really nice job. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the part number on the steering cable. I'll check it out!

+ Reply to Thread