Rebirth of the Schwimmwagen...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rebirth of the Schwimmwagen...

Rebirth of the Schwimmwagen...

Interesting read of someone wanting to bring these back from the 40s.

KC Engineer Building a Market for Amphibious Vehicles | Reuters
    Immature. A word used by boring people to describe fun people.

Damn I like that on many levels. I'm going to post it on one of the gun boards I follow.

Most impressed with the slip clutch that the prop ass'y engages when it is lowered into its operating position. Neat idea.

Many years back, I worked at the Patton Museum at Fort Knox between deployments. That gave me the opportunity to examine a Schwimmwagen in detail. While it was interesting, it was too much of a hodge-podge to do well. It relied on props to propel it in water, and because there wasn't much ground clearance they tended to high center when going in or coming out of the water.

Much like many of the boats I owned earlier, they took on a lot of water and relied heavily on bilge pumps. Just like our machines today, when you throw mud and dirt and silt in the mix, the pumps failed very quickly.

On the road, they performed poorly. The aerodynamics of a boat hull don't lead to good performance. Later, when the Amphicar was developed it was plagued with some of the same issues. Its no wonder there are only a couple hundred surviving examples out there.

The Kettenkrad, tracked motorcycle was a different example. The Germans used those in every theater during WW2 with great success. It wasn't amphibious, but was a great machine that has a lot of potential even today for production.

Looks like the volkswagen thing

Quote Originally Posted by wfo View Post
    Looks like the volkswagen thing
    This amphibious vehicle is based of the Kubelwagen, which The Thing is civilian version of. Kind of like a Willys MB and CJ2A, or Humvee and Hummer H1.

It's not in my budget, but I love those little vw's.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

+ Reply to Thread