Hydrotraxx

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hydrotraxx

Hydrotraxx

Just purchased a 2007 Hydrotraxx TJ635 with a Kubota turbo diesel engine...only 72 hours of use. I can't walk the marsh like I use to in my younger days and plan to use this buggy to get to my duck blind, but I am new to these 6 wheel machines. A few questions if anyone can help:

Is Hydrotraxx still in business...I would like to get an owners manual or parts diagram for maintenance? I have all the information for the Kubota engine (looks like new), but would like to know about the hydraulic wheel pumps in case one goes bad.

My fuel solenoid was sticking so I replaced it with a new one, but the buggy still won't start sometimes...tap on the new solenoid and it starts up...thinking maybe low battery, relay or coil...any suggestions?

I got 2 sets of wheels and tracks with the purchase, but am still trying to decide what would work best in Texas coastal marsh country. Any suggestions?

Appreciate any help and good contacts for maintenance.

Hi Bscout, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your recent purchase. I'm not sure if Hydrotraxx is still in business or not. Their website is still up (HydroTraxx Home - 6x6 ATV Amphibious) and they have phone numbers listed but other members have not had much luck contacting them in the past. It's worth trying to see if they will respond to an email or phone call.

For your starting issue, is the motor turning over fine or does it only turn over once you tap the fuel solenoid?

For the wheels/tires, what two sets do you have? We can probably recommend the ones that will work the best if we know what tires you have to choose from.

Hydrotraxx

Thanks for the quick reply. Tried to call the Hydortraxx phone number...disconnected. Sent an email and no reply so far. I am hoping a former Hydrotraxx owner, employee or service rep. will pick up on my post.

Engine cranks just fine...solenoid is just not engaging and letting diesel flow without a tap. I heard from some Kubota tractor owners that it could be a wiring short, weak battery, coil or relay. The solenoid is new, but I do hear they can be bad out of the box...doubtful in my view because they are fairly simple mechanical devices. I am hoping battery...the buggy runs and shuts off just fine...so maybe enough energy to crank, but not enough energy to trigger the solenoid.

I will get back with you on tires and tracks. I currently have 28" Highlifters (I think) on the buggy...no tracks...they are very aggressive and the height leaves no room for tracks. I also have some smaller tires and 2 sets of tracks. I still have to pull them out of the guys barn, so I am not sure about sizes and widths. I am guessing there is a difference between mud tracks and snow tracks. Will know more after I pick up the extra tires and tracks this weekend...will post information.

Thanks again for the quick reply...I have a lot to learn.

Got some more specific information:

I have 2 sets of tires:
    - Highlifter Outlaws 28x12.5x12
    - Carisle Tracks Max 25x10x12

I have 3 sets of tracks:
    - 12" plastic tracks that fit the Hydrotraxx
    - 2 pair of Polaris 15" rubber tracks (think they are fit for the Polaris 6 wheeler, but the previous owner was going to cut them to fit the Hydrotraxx

Not sure I did this right, but pictures are attached. Would appreciate any advice on best wheel and track option for marsh county...even if I have to buy something more fit for purpose.
    Attached Images

Tracks probably only fit the smaller tires. It looks like the plastic ones are tru-trax. The rubber are snowmobile tracks for a trail type machine. The rubber tracks could be cut and spliced to size with Flexco products such as the Max. You will need a pile of guides. I'm partial to the Adair pro series for ease of installation ect. The tru trax are ok but I see the side guides bent into the tires and they then damage the sidewalls. The adairs are the best swamp track I have run.

Hey Bscout

I realize this thread is 2 years old, do you still have your 635? I just bought exactly the same unit and I can find very little info about it! I’d sure like to chat with someone that has had one ��

Hydrotraxx

Have not been on this site for a while, and yes, I still have my Hydrotraxx. Just use it for duck hunting, and my only complaint is I seem to wear out my front bearings /seals when running with plastic tracks. I have noticed the tracks get very heavy with mud, and they are not real straight and some of the side guides are broke off...probably from sitting out in a farmers field for several years. The buggy runs and performs very well with the 28" Outlaw tires in all terrain except marsh, where we need the tracks. I love the buggy with the mud tires, and it runs fantastic in the marsh with tracks, but I hate replacing bearings in the middle of our season. My buggy has 6 hydraulic motors...one for each wheel. The Kubota diesel engine runs flawlessly and I have not had any issues with the hydraulic motors or pump. It did take me a while to figure out how to do maintenance and find parts. For the engine, you need to find a Kubota industrial motor parts supplier...the tractor shops won't work. I have not had any issues with the hydraulic system, but it seems the pump and motors are fairly common based on conversations I had with several shops. They are not making the Hydrotraxx right now...I believed the owner / main guy passed, but I have exchanged email with Richard (I think he is a family member) at ralph@hydrotraxx.net He has answered many of my questions and has parts. It has been a while since I talked to him. Hope this helps, and I would appreciate any counsel on tracks and bearing problems...thinking about giving Adair's a try. If I can't figure this out, I may flip my Hydrotraxx...I really want a MarshMaster.

Which brand of hydraulic wheel motors and pump does your Hydrotraxx have and what would be their part no.?

I don't have the part numbers, but the pump is made by Sauer Danfoss and the motors are made by White Drive Products. If you really need part numbers, I will look this weekend and see if I can find them...last weekend of duck season on Texas coast.

Hey Bscout, if you are going to make the jump to a MarshMaster and haven't checked out the line up at Hydratrek yet you should look them up, their machines have the advantage of having two real propellers for great propulsion in water, I think they are the best machine out there right now if you are committed to spending big money. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

+ Reply to Thread