Super Swamp Fox

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Swamp Fox

Quote Originally Posted by oldstreetracer View Post
    Hi, Yes I have ground some down with a grinder but it has a 4" wheel. Some of the pins are in too small of a space. I just received my TTP drill bit..... which I used on one weld and it cut like it was going through regular steel. I am impressed and I hope they all drill that easy. Does anyone know if axles are available used or new? I know..... call Rick at 6x6. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    UHM-maybe not-some guys say to stay away? you will get lots of replies re. getting new axles but I bet Whipper can ship new custom, made to order, hi grade axles from Arizona for about what"rick" charges?

Axles are out..... what a pain!! Once I got the role pins out I went and bought a 3' piece of 1.25" axle and used it and a 10 lb. sledge hammer to pound the axles out from the opposite side. The easy axles came out with a slide hammer and some heat. I saw in a post that Max bearings and retainers, etc. will work on a Super Swamp Fox. Does anyone who restored a Fox know if this is true? Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldstreetracer View Post
    I saw in a post that Max bearings and retainers, etc. will work on a Super Swamp Fox. Does anyone who restored a Fox know if this is true? Thanks again!!!!!!!!!
    The standard 3-bolt flange and 72mm (HC207-20) bearings work on the Swamp Fox. Jeez, I think they're 72mm, I haven't had to even look at the bearings on that machine in years.

You've probably seen my Swamp Fox gallery, but here's the link just in case... http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/g835...swamp-fox.html

Hydromike. What did you use to paint the inside of your swamp fox? I am done fiber glassing and am ready to finish the inside of the tub. I bought bed liner but I noticed that you appear to have painted your tub. If so have you had any problem with the finish coming off? Thank you!!!!!

I just rattle-canned the parts that I refiberglassed (and the engine cover) with Rustoleum Chestnut Brown spray paint. It seems to hold up fairly well.

Thanks for the tip on paint, Hydromike. The color is very close to the original.

DSCN0364.jpgDSCN0367.jpgDSCN0368.jpg

Nice work OSR.... good to see another one coming together.

I need some advice on my swamp fox. I need to find the two drive sprocket assembly that comes of the trans. DO you have any ideas on where I can find a new one. After years of roll pins breaks, the small chips broke out the underside of the sprocket collars next to the axle.

Center gear assembly

Without a picture it is hard to reply..... but I believe I had the same issue. When the bolt breaks, the gear assembly spins on the axle. Because it is metal on metal the gears start to melt. Some of the melted metal moves. This is called galling. This melted metal will weld the gear assembly to the axle making it impossible to remove the gear assembly with normal means. I had to cut the axle in two places to get the assembly out of the machine. I then had to remove the axle from the gear assembly with a lathe. I was able to use a file and a 1" sanding tube on a drill to clean up the gears. I have some spots where the metal is gone, but there is plenty of surface for the gear assembly to ride on the axle properly. I don't think you will find a used assembly. If your gears aren't bad you should be able to save your assembly. or you can weld up a new assembly. Stores like Fleet Farm sell gears for farm machinery. Good luck!!!

+ Reply to Thread