Russian AATV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian AATV

Russian AATV

I have been given an opportunity by the Russian AATV manufacturer Tinger to help introduce their tracked AATVs to the USA and I am curious as to how much interest there might be in vehicles such as theirs. You can learn more about them at their website tingeratv.com but in a nutshell they would compete directly with Argo and MuddOx/Max in that they offer both a two person and a five person tracked vehicle that is amphibious and all-terrain with MSRP prices starting around $8,000 plus about $2,000 for shipping to my location for the two person vehicle at the current exchange rates. I am wondering how many of you that have wheeled AATVs would even consider a track-only vehicle for off road use as most of you probably have not had any exposure to a track-only version of the vehicles you know and love. If you have an opinion on a vehicle such as the Tinger, either the two person or five person version, I would be very interested in it since I am right now undecided as to whether I will get involved with the company. My reservations, of course, stem from them being a Russian company and so far away from the USA, but I might take a chance on it if I thought the interest among this community was high enough. Thanks for your time.

I'd be interested

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks LW1911, I appreciate your response.

racerone3, while Tinger does make a vehicle with wheels and tires that looks very much like an Argo knockoff, I would only be involved in the track vehicles as that is where I think their advantage lies, we all know that when wheeled AATVs lose traction or get stuck the next step is to install tracks over the tires to gain mobility. With the Tinger track vehicles you bypass that step of going from wheels to tracks and start out with maximum traction from the beginning with an actual suspension system added in that can be tuned for the kind of ride quality you want by varying the spring rates of the suspension components.

I think that the wheeled version would be in for a patent infringement issue, as the design is a very close knock off of an Argo. The tracked version may be just different enough to make it, although it still might be challenged.
    I think that the Tinger is also a close clone of the Chinese Wild Panther AATV.
    I am an advocate of competition between manufacturers, but the infringement issue may be a tough hurdle to overcome. Secondly, if it was sold here, it might be a difficult thing to get parts and service due to political issues between the east and west.

Are these AATV's being sold in USA? Or is there a import issue, especially now with our political climate and what is the issue in the case of replacement parts?

Noel Woods, thank you for your response. I agree about the wheeled version, I wouldn't touch that one since it looks so much like an Argo, but the track vehicles aren't like anything sold in America, believe me I've tried to find something similar to them and there isn't anything comparable in the USA. The closest I came was the RangeRunner by TerraTrack but it isn't amphibious and is a revised version of the old Trackster with updated mechanicals consisting of a three cylinder diesel driving hydraulics similar to a MuddOx and very expensive.

Gimlet, thank you for your response, currently the Tinger is not sold in the USA, that is why the manufacturer would like me to help them get started here. As far as replacement parts, I don't know how difficult it would be until we got to that point, the distance would probably hinder a quick turn around time but I couldn't tell you for sure what that would be until we tried it the first time.

I don't understand something about infringement etc., in the 70s it seemed like every start up company with a glorified lawnmower engine and the ability to heat and form plastic was pumping out and amphibious ATV's. from time to time I see six wheel machines from that era on this website that I've never heard of that had a limited production run time. I just don't understand how they could have a problem with copyright infringement if it doesn't say Argo on it. I don't know a lot about this kind of law, so I'm honestly asking here, not trying to be sarcastic. What I mean is, when Sony makes a DVD player or TV and then some other Chinese company makes one that looks similar nobody says they can't do it, do they? At any rate, I would not be interested in a track only vehicle, I have tracks for my Argo that have not been put on By me or the old man in a decade. however if I could get a brand-new "Argo knock off" for half of the MSRP of an Argo, then I would buy that tomorrow ! and if I had trouble getting parts for it .... I'm sure I could make Argo parts work . LOL
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"
    :ME....

" From my cold dead hands"
    :Charlton Heston...

Kris W, thanks for your response. The 8 wheeler that Tinger sells looks a lot like the ARGO 8 wheelers but I don't know how similar they are mechanically and I am not interested in them since that type of vehicle is already being supplied to the American market by the ARGO and MuddOx companies. A pure tracked ATV that also swims and has an actual suspension system without the downside of six or eight wheels and tires to maintain is what would be a unique vehicle for the American market since no one else is producing a vehicle like it for 2 or 5 person use.

i think it's a cool machine. would love to try one. any info on the engine,drive system , etc. the videos show alot of riding. j.b.

+ Reply to Thread