need a drive belt for newt the bold

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: need a drive belt for newt the bold

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    I measure across the driven pulley with a protractor. Or cut a cardboard template that fits into the pulley and trace on paper so angles can be measured. 30 degree systems measure right at 15 degrees off square on both sides. My old drill press has a 22 degree variable speed set in it. Most clutch sets I've measured for vehicles are 30. Does your 1 3/8" belt sit flush with outer edge of driven pulley?
    I'm going to try to get over there this weekend and take some precise measurements and lots of pictures. I will make some cardboard templates too.

So I went back today and remeasured everything. My belt on Newt is in fact 1 3/8" wide.
    So using what I have learned so far is my belt's first number would be 22, for 22/16" wide.
    I worked on the angle, but nothing conclusive, the belt looks like 30 degrees but a 30 degree
    cardboard wedge did not match the drive sheaves perfectly, I don't know what it' supposed to look like though.
    So long story short, a 2230V541 might make me a nice belt but I don't think one like that exists.
    That makes me either SOL , or just plain wrong in my calculations. I would post pictures but I don't think they have URLs.

Call Greg at Buffalo Bearing (716) 874-1720. Tell him you're from 6X6World.com and you're looking for a belt for a 6 wheeler and give him the specs and odds are he'll be able to find something......those guys are good there!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Call Greg at Buffalo Bearing (716) 874-1720. Tell him you're from 6X6World.com and you're looking for a belt for a 6 wheeler and give him the specs and odds are he'll be able to find something......those guys are good there!
    Just talked to Greg, he is gonna do some research and get back to me. THANKS!

Is there any chance the belt was originally 1-7/16" wide? I've found a few in that width but no match yet. I find I'd hard to believe that belt would be a proprietary belt as the manufacturer would have to pay for the special product. Most of these machines were designed with something available and when that worked well they paid the belt maker to run a bunch of the stock length belts with there name on it. Also how much side clearance is in your engine clutch to the belt (engine off)?

Have you measured the clutch set width yet or are you solely going the belt that came with the machine?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Is there any chance the belt was originally 1-7/16" wide? I've found a few in that width but no match yet. I find I'd hard to believe that belt would be a proprietary belt as the manufacturer would have to pay for the special product. Most of these machines were designed with something available and when that worked well they paid the belt maker to run a bunch of the stock length belts with there name on it. Also how much side clearance is in your engine clutch to the belt (engine off)?
    It very well could have been 1 7/16" wide when new. There is a slight amount of clearance, I did not try to stick a feeler gauge between the belt and the clutch, wish I had now. I did get a pretty good picture of it but posting on this sight is got me all twisted up.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Have you measured the clutch set width yet or are you solely going the belt that came with the machine?
    I'm mostly going with the existing belt since it has a Challenger part number. The clutches lookorigional but nobody really knows that. When you say measure the clutches are you talking about the distance between the drive sheaves at the center?

Can you text me the pics? I have some that show proper belt width but cant get them to post from my phone today. 907-388-8582

Can you text me the pics? I have some that show proper belt width but cant get them to post from my phone today. 907-388-8582
    My pictures are on my ipod touch. I can email them, but I don't have a cell to text with. I think I may be the last one without a phone. Anyway if you want to PM me an email address I can provide lots of pics.

+ Reply to Thread