Scrambler replacement engine ideas

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scrambler replacement engine ideas

Scrambler replacement engine ideas

Anyone have any ideas for a new replacement engine to put into a scrambler?? The current engine is a Tecumseh HH120. Would like to put in a new engine without having to do many modifications.

Thanks!

I wouldn't put much money into a scrambler, so I'd suggest a Predator 420, that said I haven't had much success with the 2 I had because the first died, 2nd never ran 100%, but it will be a lot more reliable than the scrambler's mechanics so not really a problem if you just want to see what it's like to drive around the back yard. The 420 I had still needed some modified engine mounting jerry rigging going on, I don't know of an exact drop in engine, and likely you won't find one (unless someone wants to chime in and they know)

In hind sight, I'm not sure the Scrambler ever needed 14 HP, and you can pick up a smaller Predator for a lot less, honestly people like to image all the power they'll have but I can't see why 8hp wouldn't be enough in one of these machines, it weighs practically nothing and you'll never reliably run tons of power through the steering clutches and chain system in my experience. Also a smaller lighter engine will mean less work when you have to get out and push the machine backwards every couple minuets when it needs reverse.

Thanks for the reply..I definitely agree I don't want to stick a great deal of money into a new engine and I really don't want to add HP for all the reasons you said. What's in it is more than enough, its just that the Tecumseh that's in it is the original engine it came with and its getting harder and harder to find reliable parts.

I did not realize your machine was running in it's current state. Have you had to replace many parts often enough to warrant concern for replacements? Usually small engines either are fine, or trash. Its not often they exist in a state of always needing to be fixed while also running well. If it runs as is I'd leave it be and enjoy it. Fixing an engine can sometimes be easier than fabricating a new engine mount, making sure the belt is still the right length, adjusting for ideal RPM or buying a new centrifugal clutch / new springs to compensate. Most new Small engines ideal MUCH higher than their older equivalents. Supposedly their are mods that can be done to fix this but that is its own project.

The little Predator motors should be a great replacement, like was mentioned earlier, many find them to be deals or duds. If you get a dud take it back to Harbor Freight right away and get a replacement.

Yeah the scrambler is in good condition. It needs some bearings on the jackshaft. I took it out a year ago to clean it up and the bearings are starting to get pretty rough. Not sure how to go about finding the right bearings for that either? The engine itself has been a pain in the butt for a few years now. The starter is starting to grind a bit and it seems to be starting to burn a little oil so that's why I was considering a replacement.

Hi Bassboat, Max Tools has a Duromax 16 electric start for $300 and an 18 recoil start for a little less. Somme of the later model scramblers came with 16s. If u ever want to run tracks you will need the extra ponies. I bought one for my attex but haven't had time to finish it yet. Larry W. has a video of his in an attex. Goes good. Good luck Mike

+ Reply to Thread