So I got excited and bought a Bazoo?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So I got excited and bought a Bazoo?

Sent you a PM.
    I am near Barrie myself.

Nice project for sure...keep up the good work.

Thanks for sharing.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Interesting project. I have never seen a Bazoo, but it sure looks, from the photos, that you have the project well in hand. With regard to forward/reverse, etc....when your project is near done, make sure that you add at least 1 winch assembly, if not two, along with a snatch block, and maybe a tow strap. You will thank yourself the first time that you really need it to get out of a tight spot. I wish I had a second, rear, winch when I got snow bound last winter....I am looking at this portable one that will work with the tow ball as a secondary, backup winch. https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-2.../dp/B000COTKDM

After reading reviews on that item, I will continue to search for a secondary portable winch.
    Last edited by hipowerone; 09-04-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks Guys, the glassing has begun and I should have some photos up tonight. There is a LOT more than anticipated, but there always is..

So the AT20-11-8 is proving hard to find in a low traction, chevron style. The clearances between tub and tire are pretty tight, so I might consider going down a size to facilitate the use of tracks, which were an option, but haven't been able to source yet...

C
    1972 Bazoo
    I also sell Shooting glasses!

Quote Originally Posted by Cardamonfrost View Post
    Thanks Guys, the glassing has begun and I should have some photos up tonight. There is a LOT more than anticipated, but there always is..

So the AT20-11-8 is proving hard to find in a low traction, chevron style. The clearances between tub and tire are pretty tight, so I might consider going down a size to facilitate the use of tracks, which were an option, but haven't been able to source yet...

C
    I got a very good price on tires here.
    Welcome to Richard's Relics Parts for ATV's

Well, here is some interesting info for the Argo and Bazoo guys.

I was just on the phone with Roy, a very nice gentleman at an Argo Dealer in Ontario, and he said that the story goes like this...

OTACO (Orillia Tudhope Anderson Company) was making AATVs in the early 70s. They had a big order from the Middle East and started making the tubs and drivetrains, they could not provide all the transmissions so they were fabbed out to a company called Argo (actually Ontario Drive and Gear, which relocated to Kitchener and became Argo). Unfortunately, OTACO went bankrupt and Argo was stuck with a bunch of transmissions, so they decided to make their own AATV! So Bazoo was the reason Argo AATVs came into existence. Amazing.

Is it true? who knows! Is it fun to think about, YOU BET!

Thanks for the heads up on Richards Relics. However I have nightmares about shipping to Canada!

I have some more pictures, I hope to get them posted this evening.

C
    Last edited by Cardamonfrost; 09-06-2017 at 04:57 PM.
    1972 Bazoo

they were made in Orillia I think.looks like a cool project for sure.

Thanks for the heads up on Richards Relics. However I have nightmares about shipping to Canada!

C
    When I spoke with him he said he only charges "actual" shipping costs. Most international sellers hose you on shipping when the reality is the shipping costs are usually pretty low but I have never shipped tires across the border.
    If you find or decide where to purchase tires let me know. I need tires too, perhaps a bulk order would drop the price.

Well, here is some interesting info for the Argo and Bazoo guys.

I was just on the phone with Roy, a very nice gentleman at an Argo Dealer in Ontario, and he said that the story goes like this...

OTACO (Ontario Tudhope Anderson co?) was making AATVs in the early 70s. They had a big order from the Middle East and started making the tubs and drivetrains, they could not provide all the transmissions so they were fabbed out to a company called Argo (actually Ontario Drive and Gear, which relocated to Kitchener and became Argo). Unfortunately, OTACO went bankrupt and Argo was stuck with a bunch of transmissions, so they decided to make their own AATV! So Bazoo was the reason Argo AATVs came into existence. Amazing.

Is it true? who knows! Is it fun to think about, YOU BET!
    That is interesting. Argo made their first production 6x6 in 1967, which means the Bazoo would have to be designed (at the latest) in 1966. That would give Argo about a year to design their machine, build the molds, test, and send them to dealers.

I was under the idea the machine leading to Argo was JB's Avenger. We have the only survivor to my knowledge. It has the same transmission as an early Argo. These two factors push the idea JB never took off, Argo kickstarted their business. I've seen quite a few Bazoo's out there. However, it is odd a Grand Rapids, MI company would outsource their transmissions to Canada in the 1960's.

Maybe someone at Argo has access to the old paperwork and can find out for sure.

I suspect Argo Canada was a different company than Argo US. It probably got going several years after Argo MI. Things take a lot longer to get up here .

C

Quote Originally Posted by Nick O. View Post
    That is interesting. Argo made their first production 6x6 in 1967, which means the Bazoo would have to be designed (at the latest) in 1966. That would give Argo about a year to design their machine, build the molds, test, and send them to dealers.

I was under the idea the machine leading to Argo was JB's Avenger. We have the only survivor to my knowledge. It has the same transmission as an early Argo. These two factors push the idea JB never took off, Argo kickstarted their business. I've seen quite a few Bazoo's out there. However, it is odd a Grand Rapids, MI company would outsource their transmissions to Canada in the 1960's.

Maybe someone at Argo has access to the old paperwork and can find out for sure.
    1972 Bazoo

+ Reply to Thread