Mystery machine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mystery machine

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    says in brochure '' spring loaded clutch on each wheel '' . how does that work exactly ? what was their function ? johnboy
    Well Johnboy. This thing has a v plex clutch system in it. I'm almost positive that was not the factory drive setup. Google it and have a look. It's goofy but you don't have any gears to shift just push levers forward to go forward and pull back to go in reverse. Not sure what I'll do with this if anything ar all. Lol

It never hurt anything to pick up a machine for the sake of being completely different. Sometimes we can learn things from the shade tree mechanics of the past. I've seen many concepts over the years that were evolutionary dead ends, and a few that were so innovative that it seemed strange they never made it into production. I would consider this Sidewinder as a nice find. Get the machine running and lets see what it can do.

The transmission is the cone drive trany from a Dixon Zero turn mower. They work well for a mower, not sure in a 6x6. they won't function at all when wet, but dry quickly if there isn't a constant source of water (IE: water in the tub)
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I just worked on a Dixon cone drive from the mid eighties. This looks real similar. Perhaps an earlier model?
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

ok guys I have the blueprints and paperwork on this V-plex clutch system out of Hagerstown Indiana and the date it was designed was 1966. Dixon must have used it later or had a similar design but it appers that the center cone is made of some composite or brake like material and when you push levers foward those outer cones rub against the center cone and off ya go.
    who wants it?? lol I dont believe i want to tackle this project as I have another Attex to build yet

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    says in brochure '' spring loaded clutch on each wheel '' . how does that work exactly ? what was their function ? johnboy
    1st gen Scramblers had the same thing. Just a slipper clutch on each axle. The idea was to keep the drive train intact. Most got welded closed and a year or so later they where done away with entirely, Just more things to go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dave phelps View Post
    ok guys I have the blueprints and paperwork on this V-plex clutch system out of Hagerstown Indiana and the date it was designed was 1966. Dixon must have used it later or had a similar design but it appers that the center cone is made of some composite or brake like material and when you push levers foward those outer cones rub against the center cone and off ya go.
    who wants it?? lol I dont believe i want to tackle this project as I have another Attex to build yet
    Interesting. It works great on the Dixon. Real finicky to set up though.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone9 View Post
    I just worked on a Dixon cone drive from the mid eighties. This looks real similar. Perhaps an earlier model?
    Yep. there were 2 or 3 versions, but all used the same concept. This may not be a Dixon but its the same idea
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    Yep. there were 2 or 3 versions, but all used the same concept. This may not be a Dixon but its the same idea
    You want this thing dont ya Race!!! LOL
    come get er

Quote Originally Posted by dave phelps View Post
    You want this thing dont ya Race!!! LOL
    come get er
    Nope, I'm cleaning stuff out left and right. No room/ need for incoming projects!

+ Reply to Thread