Defender 460 Plans

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Defender 460 Plans

Defender 460 Plans

Hi All,

Once upon a time, about 30 years ago, I got my mitts on an Imp Kat Kadoo. I was a kid, and it was in rough shape mechanically. I did not have the knowledge or skill to make it work, so regretfully, I sold it away. Over the last few years, I really wanted another one because #1: I wanted to take another crack at fixing one up now that I have 30+ more years of experience, #2: I always thought 6 wheeling would be fun, #3: I like the appearance, and #4: I want something that I can ride my little boy and wife around in during the winter when it's too cold to do anything else.

I live in lower Michigan, and after looking into finding another Kadoo (preferably a Kadoo II), I figured out why there are so few 6x6 here in lower Michigan. Basically there is no place to ride one legally unless you are on private property. Can't ride them on the snowmobile trails because they are not snowmobiles, and can't ride them on the ORV trails because they are more than 50" wide.

Then I ran across these Defender 460 plans. The website says they are 46" wide, so at least I could take it on the trails. I know it doesn't compare to the vehicles that most of the members here use, but maybe it would be good enough for me, for now.

So, I am wondering what experiences any of you have had with this home made 6x6. I believe I have read all there is to read about them on the internet and on this forum - there is not much. It seems there was at least one build being documented here some years ago, but like so many build threads, it lost steam after a while and the thread just petered out.

I am familiar with the horrible scandal that unraveled here with the original builder and his plans, so no need to discuss that. I just want to know if this vehicle is worth building and if it is really water capable, if the outside chains hold up ok, and anything you can tell me about it that might help me make up my mind about building one.

I have been lurking here for a long time and have learned a lot from you folks, thank you for that.

No one has anything to say about these plans? Maybe no one knows what I am referring to, so here is a link: ~ Build Your Own 6x6 ~

I haven't made up my mind about this thing, and I was hoping for some input about it. My 2 biggest issues with it, without having seen the plans, are that I don't know how available the transmission drive is, which one to use or it's cost, and what some inexpensive wheel / tires to use. If the trans and tires cost too much, I may be better off buying and older 6x6, but then I have the issue of not being allowed on the ORV trails. Plus, if I make one myself from the plans, I can incorporate a cab into the design so it's covered and heated.

I'm a little bit familiar with fiberglass covered wood boat construction, and I think the plywood hull and body would be just as good as any plastic or plain fiberglass body. The specs on the website say it's curb weight is 300 pounds, but I don't know if I can believe that - maybe, but I don't see how 6 wheels, engine, all that wood and miscellaneous stuff can only add up to 300 pounds.

I know I could get a used 6x6, but there is the width issue, and if I built one of these, everything would be new (ie harbor freight engine with warranty), except for the transmission.

I would sure be nice to get some practical advice from some people who know more about this design than I do, or at least some opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    No one has anything to say about these plans? Maybe no one knows what I am referring to, so here is a link: ~ Build Your Own 6x6 ~

I haven't made up my mind about this thing, and I was hoping for some input about it. My 2 biggest issues with it, without having seen the plans, are that I don't know how available the transmission drive is, which one to use or it's cost, and what some inexpensive wheel / tires to use. If the trans and tires cost too much, I may be better off buying and older 6x6, but then I have the issue of not being allowed on the ORV trails. Plus, if I make one myself from the plans, I can incorporate a cab into the design so it's covered and heated.

I'm a little bit familiar with fiberglass covered wood boat construction, and I think the plywood hull and body would be just as good as any plastic or plain fiberglass body. The specs on the website say it's curb weight is 300 pounds, but I don't know if I can believe that - maybe, but I don't see how 6 wheels, engine, all that wood and miscellaneous stuff can only add up to 300 pounds.

I know I could get a used 6x6, but there is the width issue, and if I built one of these, everything would be new (ie harbor freight engine with warranty), except for the transmission.

I would sure be nice to get some practical advice from some people who know more about this design than I do, or at least some opinions.
    The specs show why many have not attempted one, here is a thread of a started machine

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/other...460-build.html
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/other...r-460-atv.html
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/other...-finished.html

advance search the defender on the site.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I'd think a Jiger is less than 50" wide.

You can always track down a Sur-Trek they are 46" wide

You mention winter use. How much snow do you get? Without tracks 6x6s won't do much of anything but get stuck in deeper than 8"

Thank you for the links and comments. I did already read all those when I was trying to learn more about these. Unfortunately, the one where the project was finished, the videos no longer work so it is sort of a dead end for seeing the finished product.

Well, anyway I bought the plans earlier today. I figured it was worth it to know exactly what it was all about. I just finished reading the whole thing. The plans are really good, in my opinion There are only 2 or 3 minor things that I am not clear on, and I guess I could figure those things out myself.

Nevertheless, in order to build it, you need to have a complete doner Dixon mower, plus 4 more Dixon hubs and 4 more wheels/tires. I don't have any of that laying around, so that is a problem. Craigslist and eBay don't have much to offer in my area, as I am not going to spend $500-$1000 on an old mower.

So, maybe I will keep looking for parts, and if I can gather them up for a reasonable cost, build it sometime in the future. I do think it would be a good machine overall, and with a couple small improvements, even better.

Regarding the ground clearance and the snow, well, I was going to make some snowmobile tracks or some conveyor belt type tracks for it. I live in lower Michigan, so I never know if I am going to get much snow or not, but with the crappy Dixon tires, I would need some tracks with big grousers to get through the water as well. Also, I have already devised a modification that will increase the ground clearance substantially if I want to do it.

I wanted narrow to fit down the trails, but it looks like it would be tight inside even with just my little boy in it next to me. The Jiger doesn't have a reverse, as I understand it, and the Sur-Trek just doesn't appeal to me, but I appreciate the suggestions.

So, I don't know what I am going to do. I'm keeping an eye out for a Kadoo II just for old times sake, but I haven't seen a single one of those available anywhere. Not sure if I could put tracks on a Kadoo, either.

I guess I got all my questions about this particular machine answered now, I just need to scrounge some parts or get something else.

Thanks for the help, I really enjoy the website.

You mention the links to the videos where dead? Do you mean these videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGySYrrlQfY

I was referring to the videos on page 3 of the third link that ARGOJIM posted. One of them might be the same video that you posted (since they won't play, I don't know,) but the one you posted is one of the same videos as on the website where the plans are. I thought that was video of the original designer's 6x6, not the product of someone who bought the plans.

I did some more digging on craigslist and found a couple reasonably priced doner mowers in my state, but nothing nearby. I'm just going to keep the idea in the back of my mind and if enough parts accumulate over time, I will do it. Also, since this vehicle is 46" wide, I think I can widen it another 3 inches very easily for some extra sitting room and still be well under the 50" ORV trail rule.

If I had more space here, I might just go ahead and begin, but I don't and so once I start, I need to have everything on hand to complete the project.

+ Reply to Thread