new amphib manufacturer, with your help...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: new amphib manufacturer, with your help...

most amphib manufacturers today are making only 8x8's except argo and hydrotraxx if they are still making them...never hear about them. there argo 6x6 is still too industrial in my opinion...there needs to be something more competitive to the max ii. the max ii is the cheapest all around 6x6 you will find anywhere...i've been looking into slowly remaking an older brand and the costs are very high, but as some of the others said, look at the new and old companies that flipped and find a different strategy. i like your ideas, although they are the same ideas that every new builder talks about. might be worth trying something different like the hoot or max ii type machine. and the parts add up quickly for them, in reality i don't think a max ii is overpriced, especially since they make fewer machines so the cost per machine is higher for them too.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Why not have a low priced "high seller" for those that want single seating and light weight, and a higher priced workhorse for those that want a machine of that type. Build the cheaper model narrow enough to allow it to be ridden on National Forrest land. Put 1.5" axles on the bigger "industrial" model with attachment points for plows, dozer blades and such. Ground clearance and/or the ability to go to larger tires will also need to be taken into account.

Obviously, you will have to be very competitive with the Quad market, and your machine must be very attractive, in both style and price, to lure potential buyers away from them. To do this you will have to produce a machine that can sell for $5000 to $10,000 which will be a hard bill to fill. Although not in my case, lots of your customers will want a machine that is much faster than 17 to 20 mph, keep this in mind also. Whatever you decide I hope it works out for you...Good luck.

Other considerations

Some factors in favor of building AATVs in our company is that they would not immediately be the soul source income. MOSDAL has a steady customer base, and will likely always have business, as long as there are hogs, cattle, and sheep. (We even did a camel trailer, and a penguin scale some years ago.) Anyone who has ever had a business that needs to continue to produce a product while at the same time managing an emerging business knows how difficult that can be.
    Also, there is a possibility of having bodies produced in Alaska, rather than Montana. It's worth looking into. I think there would be small business benefits.
    But anyhow, none of that is interesting. Let's talk about what is. Going with existing technology for a transmission is almost a must. Hydraulic motors on wheels can be an awesome propulsion system, but comes with it's problems
    The only two propulsion systems that my brother and I are even talking about are a hydraulic pump with motors, or a T20.
    Going with a smaller machine would almost make me want to take another look at belts.
    The rotorway exec relies on a belt drive system, and it's a helicopter. I think Robinsons do too.
    I have read the forums quite a bit, but I am throwing it out there again. Right now, today, if you had that smaller 6x6, can I really do anything but a skidsteer transmission? Seems hard to beat.

It would be nice to have a lower cost AATV, the only real way is to make them more popular so they could be mass prodused at a lower cost. One area thats not realy looked at is aftermarket acc. so the AATV would be more popuar as work machines, As for farm vehicals there is the Argo Centuar witch is diesel powered. as long as the razer and rino have all the addvertising they will be the most popular. just my 1 1/2 cents.

Really been brainstorming this weekend, and can't tell you how much I have appreciated the input. I got a real charge out of the Bushwacker, great quality workmanship! You would fit right in in my camp. The more I look at it the more I am convinced that at least a prototype is in order. The trend to compete with the fourwheeler with a small machine needs to be answered. By the same token, my brother and I both have large families, and with the growing popularity of the side by sides, I think a machine that hauls people and gear has a place too. It would be wonderful to come up with a design that undercuts the rhinos, tyrex, ranger, and razers, and has amphibious cabability to boot. I asked for input, I am getting plenty. I would like to hear from others, if they are out there, who would be 8x8 customers if the price did not drive them away. Also, it's only a matter of opinion, but I would appreciate of the admin would bump me back to the general forum, because I truly believe that is where this thread belongs.
    Last edited by MIteyMT; 08-23-2009 at 09:31 PM.

T-20

MMT,

I would imagine that RI would be resist selling the venerable T-20 in mass to a competitor.
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

I love the idea of a little 6x6 that can have counter-rotating wheels, but if you are building a high speed 6x6, wouldn't that be even more dangerous? what about improving the design of one of the older aatv transmissions? i would think that hydraulic is not the best move for a little recreational 6x6 that would be raced and such...
    are you looking at using only 4 strokes? will they be built performance 4 strokes or right off the crate?
    i looked into buying 3 suspension sets for 4 wheelers for a prototype 6x6 suspension, but it's honestly not much cheaper than whippers set at about $6,000, and his is heavy duty and comes with the mounting plate.
    another alternative is looking into the old floatation tires. why aren't those made anymore? i hear they are SO much more comfortable than tires and rims.
    would you make your own axles? i know you're not looking into gaining much profit from this project right away, but once you are set up for making axles, it may be cheaper to just buy axles from argo (~$60 or so)...maybe, maybe not.
    i hope this can become a reality. i grew up with max's, but i'm trying to find an old attex and do all kinds of mods, and i think i'll probably like it more than any max i've ever owned or driven.

Smile old tires

I kinda like the old tires...... as if u can't tell....

Had a wonderful visit with Mudbug on the phone tonight. He's really got my wheels turning. I am imagining away, and then I will run it by the mech. engineer (my brother), and see what he has in mind. I am surprised by the demand for a small, quick six wheel rig. Here in Alaska, there is a lot of desire for the large, tussock and tundra spanning abilities of large eight wheelers. With Mudbug, we got into discussing 4 wheeled oufits with tracks that span (think terrajet), eight wheeled outfits with tracks on the middle two axles, tires that nearly touch, making the three or four of them together almost act like tracks (due to close proximity), and after I got off the phone, I wondered what would happen if you staggered axles, to allow them to be placed closer together than tire diameter. Have to look up some of his recommended reading. I was gonna start drawing tonight, but I have so many ideas after talking some more, that I realize I have to many things to think about to even make a drawing. Funny, I had drawings when I had less ideas!
    In answer to some questions, I am looking for a crate motor rig, I am entirely undecided on a propulsion system. I am wondering what the downside of hydraulic motors are from those who are using them.
    As far as using the T20, and not a potential business conflict, I don't know, but it's a good reason to look at hydraulic motors from the getgo, and an excellent point.
    I considered buying and customizing older rigs that are out there, like others have done, but my real passion would be to be able to put a new machine out there, with a warranty, and to be priced comparable to two small 4x4 fourwheelers. I am leaning towards an 8x8 today, or more accurately I am leaning towards machines of that size. I am certain that there is room for a couple of designs, everybody does a big one and a little one. Keep throwing up ideas. I am excited to get some drawings up here, and to find out what is working in them, and what is not.

In between

Have you thought of building a machine size in between a standard 6X6 and 8X8. Using 6 larger wheels. It would have more carrying capacity than a 6x6 for us sportsmen but still be small enough for zipping around. Larger tires for more clearance. multi speed trans. for speed and tuff going. All aluminum tub with poly skidplate(aluminum doesn't slide well). springer seat to smooth the ride. removable rear bench seat to accomodate 4 people (as required). Briggs or honda power. I would not use hydraulics.

My 2 cents.

+ Reply to Thread