1969 LTV KID ATV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 1969 LTV KID ATV

Ive not gotten stuck but haven't been anywhere really challenging yet. The one in the video has been in that family since the 1970's and I hear has never been stuck and is usually used to rescue all of the other trucks, 4x4s and others that get stuck. Last year 4 of us road in his to duck hunt and I didn't notice any problem at all, that's when I knew I had to find one! Got mine in TX rice fields and I saw a couple more in Houston, but he was really proud of them!

I saw your pix, did your's have a rear deck? There is a space needed under the deck for the engine heat to blow out, let me know if you need measurements off of mine. The engine blows all of the heat out the top fins near the intak/exhaust manifold. The deck actually has ductwork to funnel that hot blast out of the sides of the deck.

About closing yours in with doors etc, A good bit of heat will get into the cab through the transmission radiator between the seats, but I like your metal top. The guy I got mine from said he had the soft top but it got so hot inside they took it off and then it went bad where they stored it. We took off the top frame and are thinking a quick frame to use the kid as a mobile duck blind.

You really don't want to connect anything to those transmission cables, any changes in their movement changes how they activate the pumps for forward, reverse and the speed of each side. Lord help you of they get jammed. Besides they are not equal setups so that might affect the tiller. I had a noticable change in steering/running to the better when I changed a bolt & nut connecting the cable to one pump(that had the very slightest slack) with the correct pin and clip like it should have.

Instead of that steering wheel setup like he had in the video I was thinking a stick steer unit that does the same thing as a steering wheel but is a lever mounted to the sidewall that u would just push forward for right turn and pull back for left turn. And don't forget to mount bilge pumps, because of the way the bottom is made with high and low areas I'm putting 2 in at the very rear. And make sure every bolt, etc in the hull is sealed. I'll post pix when done. All switches are going on a new dash I've installed, I'm also going to mount a tach and maybe oil pressure gauge.

Good luck with yours

Southern Comfort Kid

Here's a picture of when I trailered mine home and the dash panel.
    Attached Images

Southern Comfort Kid

you can read my mind

i like the gauges i plan to do the same if you didnt know my motor is stuck and last night i took the tin around the motor off. If you havnt done that i would because in the tin there is room for air to blow by the cylinders and one side of mine was cloged up with grass (fine grass like the stuff that gets in the pulleys of riding lawn mowers) i think what happened to mine was it got hot and froze up. Then i took the heads off and man my motor had so much carbon build up so now im into rebuilding the motor. when the motor turns over is going to be the turning point in the project. then i can put in all the new oil iv bought (25 quarts) drop the body on it and start with all the great ideas iv got and use all this great advice. ill post some pictures soon of the motor all torn down too it looks pretty neat. Now you know why i got mine so cheap lol i would have paid another 500 or 600 hundred dollars for a motor that would turn over. but it is probally for the better because when i get it running i know everything will be in great shape. And i do have the rear deck but thanks anyways. what paint did you use i like it. i think im going to use the paint the army uses that olive green with a cammo or white star on the front of the kid.
    Does it really go 25 mph?
    8x8 twice as good as 4x4

I haven't quite checked the speed yet but on the street I had it up to when the governor kicks in, seemed like 20+. The paint I used is Rustoleum camo colors from Home Depot, OD and tan. I have Army OD Chemical resistant paint that I used on my military pickup but its too expensive and tell you the truth the rustoleum does just fine. I'm using rustoleum rubberized undercoating on the bottom and all sides below the water line. When finished I think I will add some black, brown to the camo job. Let me know how the motor rebuild goes. Thanks for the engine tin tip I think I will pull it all down just to be sure!.

Southern Comfort Kid

Kid 8x8's. is there anything better?

heres something i thought was neat. a kind of over head rack. i just bought this diesel Kid off a duck hunter that built this rack to put his johnboat on top of his kid to duck hunt out of when he got to where he was going.. i like the rack idea as it could be used for alot of stuff..i thought you guys might like the idea also

Southeren comfort. are those just fender flares on your Kid or are those the optional Float tubes? I have heard of the float tubes but have not been able to find me a pair yet.. you want to sale them if they are float tubes?
    Attached Images

cool

glad you found one that you were happy with!! where are those at? is that shoson? I wish i had a diesel but im just fine with gas. sounds cool and good luck with it. I like the rack idea too more pics of those kids would be nice are those from mississippi? there is a guy there who has a diesel and gas there.
    8x8 twice as good as 4x4

LTV KID. yes i got those out of Mississippi. no thats not Shoson's shop thats my shop here in Indiana. i am looking for canvus in any conditon to use or use as a patteren as i will restore the diesel in the picture and i want the cab back on it. i am thinking of putting the wood side racks on it then tigging up a new aluminum over head rack with mesh floor and 8" high meshed sides on it and the whole rack be removeable in 5 min.
    Who are you talking about in mississippi that has a gas and a diesel?

army surplus

Im getting canvas from a army surplus store i found this guy on route 6x6 his name is James Biglane on the site and he is in natchez mississippi but iv never talked to him
    8x8 twice as good as 4x4

I have the canvas materail i meant i was looking for a Kid canvas top to use if in good shape or to use as a patten if it was in bad shape.

I have talked to James biglane. he dont have any Kid 8x8's anymore

tweeter166,
    I like the rack overhead idea! Maybe you could give me some dimensions or more pictures. I have the steel fenders that came with mine, but they have a bit of rust along the bottom and can't use them with the duallys. I was told that they also get beat up pretty quickly because they are light weight metal.

I've never see the float tubes you mentioned. Are those the tubes on that kid thats swimming on the you tube video from "sharkfin4"? They look like about 6" PVC and end mounts that could be made. I emailed him thru you tube but never got a response.

Where in MS did you get yours? I'm in the McComb area alot but haven't seen any Kids in Ms. Good luck with them!

Southern Comfort Kid

+ Reply to Thread