Bush Swamper 16/24 wheeler.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush Swamper 16/24 wheeler.

those 2 videos on the net...the yellow one he is driving in the snow and the other where he is hauling out the moose and then the trailer are pretty impressive. i still can't figure out looking at the machine how the axles are supported. looks like there is only a maybe 6'' wide center down the bottom side of the tub that the axles go in. a max or argo have 2 axle bearings spaced about 12'' apart to support the axle.... how are those bush swamper axles supported...anyone ? johnboy va.

Agreed it seems these Bushswampers are very photo shy.

would you happen to have a service manual?

The axels are supported from the inside. The Axels are hollow with a tube inside. So they can turn opposite each other for turning

5 Pages and still no pics!??

I'll fix that right now... (many pics attached)

I recently bought this thing for $1500. Not cus I need it for anything.. just cuz I'm thrilled that someone actually thought up the concept and went ahead and built the darn thing. Gotta love the 70's!!

I only put about a mile on it before I decided it would be neat to do a 360 by reversing the transmissions like the guy on Youtube. I should have read the dash-plaque first that warns against this (unless on snow/ice like buddy was). So now I have a broken chain to figure out how to replace. I know I didnt break the gearbox cuz the front axle still drives on the broken side.. just the rest jam up if I roll it a foot or two forward then back. I also broke the throttle cable a few minutes later, so thats enough headache for one day.

I'll maybe start a new thread when I get in to it and take pics of the inner workings. I dont have a manual.. nor access to the shop foreman as mentioned earlier in this thread, LOL.

I worked at Argo and have had several over the years and let me tell you.. this is nothing like an Argo!! Driving it is like rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time.. dam near impossible.

The drive clutches are not centrifugal like a snowmobile. You engage them by pulling the steering column towards you. As you speed up, the secondaries start to function and you can pull back even farther to use them fully.

The brakes on mine appear to be nothing more than brake liner attached to flexible food-pads. Though this is not a skid steer machine, I suspect applying brake pressure on one side while steering might come close to a skid steer effect.

Speaking of steering, get this, turning the "wheel" just disengages the associated primary clutch on that side of the engine. That's it!! Hilarious
    I kept trying to turn harder as if to apply a brake like an Argo. That does nothing. You just have to wait for the thing to start turning. It does turn, but this is not for tight turns in the forest. Fine for me.. I just want to run it from my house to the river a mile or so away and arrive like a rock star!

I live in London, Ontario, if anyone has one nearby and could let me copy a manual or learn from your knowledge. Cheers! Sean

Last edited by Bookm97; 11-01-2018 at 02:01 PM.

awesome , detailed pictures showing us the machine. that things really quite the design . nice to have a better idea how they work . it looks in pretty good shape also. now i understand how those axles are supported and still turn independently of each other. some inner drive train pics later will be fun too. thanks alot.... johnboy va.

Thanks for posting the pics

What a cool machine. Thanks for the pics.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

I'm loving it! Thanks for the pictures.

I would love to see some video of that machine in action!

+ Reply to Thread